Sign in to follow this  
I am a Banana

Norwich Academy Team that have left.

Is it possible to make a starting 11 or maybe even a full 18 man squad using just players that have come through our academy and currently play in the top 4 english leagues? 2 Rules - 1. They can''t play for Norwich now. 2. They must have played for the first team at least once.

I''ll start with Robert Green in goal!

And no it is not possible, we would be without enough defenders at least, there is no left back for a start.

Might be able to play a three man defence, but still centre backs would probably be in too short supply.

Sam Habergham is not in the league system, he''s playing at Braintree Town with Josh Dawkin in the conference.

Dawkin was supposed to be the dogs bollax, but then Norwich fans always tend to seriously over rate youth players.

Ian Henderson right wing, Ryan Jarvis up front.

Joe Lewis sub-keeper.

If we included the conference national we''d have a better chance of making an eleven because we could then have Danny Crow and Rossi Jarvis.

Damon Lathrope is in League Two but I don''t think he kicked a ball for us.

Also, Jamie Cureton!

It is actually quite depressing to see how so many players slip out of the game. Andrew Cave-Brown was at Lowestoft with Robert Eagle and Matthew Halliday but has now quit football, they were all highly rated too.

Shows how easy it is to go from pro contract to £100 a game and wash your own kit. Bally Smart isn''t playing anymore either.

The reality is that our academy produces many more players for local non-league teams than it does for professional teams in the league system.

Makes you wonder about the Murphy''s and Loza and such like, because Bally Smart a few years ago was the next big thing and now he''s not playing footy.

Darel Russell just left Portsmouth and is on trial with Toronto, guess we can include him.

Chris Llewellyn is a coach at Swansea, so our new club has a first team coach.

Dean Sinclair is conference south, so 6th tier.

Paul Hayes at Brentford, didn''t play for us though. Arran Lee-Barrett is at Ipswich but didn''t play for us.

Just saw a name I''m familiar with..... Danny Bloomfield. Can anybody remember when he was the next Craig Bellamy? lol

If we can include Conference players and ignore the played for us bit:

Green

Spillane Stephens Shackell Habergham

Henderson Rossi J Lathrope Dawkins

Cureton Bellamy

Subs: Ryan Jarvis, Paul Hayes, Luke Daley, Andy Marshall, Joe Lewis, Aaron Lee Barrett, Danny Crow

Well that is pretty depressing, really.

Didn''t the legend that is Adam Drury come through the youth ranks before we released him? He went on to play for our 1st team & is still in the football league. Could also have added Darel Russel to that until very recently.

Matt ball and Steve Arnold deserve a mention, currently at Stevenage mid table league one

Jason shackell anyone? Na me neither

[quote user="singupcarrowroad"]If we can include Conference players and ignore the played for us bit: Green Spillane Stephens Shackell Habergham Henderson Rossi J Lathrope Dawkins Cureton Bellamy Subs: Ryan Jarvis, Paul Hayes, Luke Daley, Andy Marshall, Joe Lewis, Aaron Lee Barrett, Danny Crow Well that is pretty depressing, really.[/quote]

But what are we comparing this with to make it depressing? Are we comparing it with the late 80s early 90s when the rules were different? Or are we comparing it with the performance of other academies of similar modern circumstances?

Nutty, the only real comparison must be with those clubs we now consider our equals in the Premier League.  On that basis it is all very depressing, and really highlights how the new Academy has to produce really. 

For a club that long survived on producing talent that it could re-sell at huge transfer fees, is it any wonder we got in the financial problems we did under that model if we have not produced anything of real value since Robert Green. 

Thankfully McNally recognised that quickly and opted for another model in the short term.  Now we are into a longer term model and thankfully the rules have changed and we are part of the new plans.  God knows where we would have been without being included the task would have been even harder as other clubs poached what little pickings there would be on our own doorstep. 

The only question now is the guys who managed the old academy are still managing the new.  There have been mutterings on here occassionally that some here do not have faith in them.  However we appear to be giving them a go, the Premier League money will cover their short term progress, but if in 3 seasons we are still not producing "home grown" stars then I''m sure changes will be made. 

So who are those clubs Sheff? And being in the premier league has absolutely nothing to do with the performance of our academy over the last 15 years. Isn''t it funny how easily folk forget the last 15 years history.

I think this tread reinforces my belief that applying for a grade 1 Football Academy is a big mistake. How much would all those players be worth now ? The Academy costs 2 million a season !