Sign in to follow this  
Jersey Canary

Just Think....

At home we have beaten, Man Utd, Arsenal, Tottenham and Everton of the top six. If we used the Lambert philosophy last season for playing against the weaker teams,just think where we might have been in the table?

Just a thought!

At the end of the day picking points off of the top 6 is fun, but when it comes down to the wire it''s the points you lose against those around you that hurt you.

S far we have drawn against West Ham, Fulham and QPR at home, three games lots of people said we should of won.

If we had, then we would be on 41 points, put us currently in 7th, 1point off Europe!

I know that''s a simplistic view, and I do love turning over the big boys but hope we can start to do the same against those in the lower half of the table.

Indeed that''s what makes the season so frustrating.  I also think not having Ruddy for long periods was an issue as well as I am sure he would have saved a few that Bunn let in.  Just through better commanding of the area and the fact that he is bigger so is more likely to reach some of the shots in the far corners.  I am not sure how many points I could pin on this but I am sure it''s a decent number to throw into the mix.

And with the Lambert philosophy I doubt we would have beaten these teams as they would have put a hatful past us with our gung ho approach

Congratulations for believing one of the most simplistic, mindless ideas doing the rounds right now.The idea that if we had gone "lambert" we would have won more if "combined" with defensive tactics is just so bloody stupid I can''t understand how you can even think it is true.I have also seen and heard an even more stupid version which basically is "if we had had a go at teams with two up top blah blah we would have won more".The logical fallacy should be evident any but the most ignorant.We have kept it tight, and managed to grab points and be difficult to breakdown.  The inevitable thing is that we won''t score as many.  You cannot attack AND defend in depth at the same time!We have a small and lets face it average squad and yet we are 8 points off the drop.To me that vindicates keeping it tight and grinding out the points we have.  It is not pretty but the alternatiev, based on the evidence from Villa, is that we could be going down if we had still had gung-ho lambert.

One last point I would make.  The key player who has allowed us to keep it tight enough to survive is Bassong.  Would we have attracted him without Hughton here?No.

[quote user="Jersey Canary"]At home we have beaten, Man Utd, Arsenal, Tottenham and Everton of the top six. If we used the Lambert philosophy last season for playing against the weaker teams,just think where we might have been in the table? Just a thought![/quote]

I''m sorry but that is just a stupid and simplistic statement which illustrates that you know absolutely nothing about the game.

[quote user="Jersey Canary"]Indeed that''s what makes the season so frustrating.  I also think not having Ruddy for long periods was an issue as well as I am sure he would have saved a few that Bunn let in.  Just through better commanding of the area and the fact that he is bigger so is more likely to reach some of the shots in the far corners.  I am not sure how many points I could pin on this but I am sure it''s a decent number to throw into the mix.
[/quote]

I am sure you could. Go on, give it a go.

[quote user="pablofarmer"]At the end of the day picking points off of the top 6 is fun, but when it comes down to the wire it''s the points you lose against those around you that hurt you. S far we have drawn against West Ham, Fulham and QPR at home, three games lots of people said we should of won. If we had, then we would be on 41 points, put us currently in 7th, 1point off Europe! I know that''s a simplistic view, and I do love turning over the big boys but hope we can start to do the same against those in the lower half of the table.[/quote]

Some facts. A win is worth 3 points whoever it is against. A draw is worth 1 point whoever it is against. In the final reckoning, the 3 points count as 3 and the 1 point counts as 1. Who they were gained against is of no significance to your final total.

[quote user="Webbo118"]

[quote user="Jersey Canary"]At home we have beaten, Man Utd, Arsenal, Tottenham and Everton of the top six. If we used the Lambert philosophy last season for playing against the weaker teams,just think where we might have been in the table? Just a thought![/quote]

I''m sorry but that is just a stupid and simplistic statement which illustrates that you know absolutely nothing about the game.

[/quote]I think you''re wrong.  Had we have attacked QPR, WHU, Newcastle and Fulham at home in a similar vien as last year we would have ended up with more than 4 points.  When we play Man Utd, Arsenal and the other top teams then sure play defensively.  It is nieve of you to think that a team can ONLY play defensive or attacking during one season.So I think you have a one dimentional view.I am not slating Hughton, I think overall he has done well.  What I am saying is we could have realistically done better had we attacked the weaker teams at home.

[quote user="Jersey Canary"]At home we have beaten, Man Utd, Arsenal, Tottenham and Everton of the top six. If we used the Lambert philosophy last season for playing against the weaker teams,just think where we might have been in the table?

Just a thought![/quote]

Remind me what the Lambert philosophy got us at home last season against those four teams?  Just a reminder.Mind you, just imagine where we could have been if we''d won all our home games this season and drawn or won all our away games.Sigh.Hughton out.[:''(]

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="Jersey Canary"]At home we have beaten, Man Utd, Arsenal, Tottenham and Everton of the top six. If we used the Lambert philosophy last season for playing against the weaker teams,just think where we might have been in the table?

Just a thought![/quote]

Remind me what the Lambert philosophy got us at home last season against those four teams?  Just a reminder.Mind you, just imagine where we could have been if we''d won all our home games this season and drawn or won all our away games.Sigh.Hughton out.[:''(]

[/quote]Well if you read my post correctly I said attack the weaker teams not the top teams.  So which of those teams you copied in on your post are the weak teams then?!!

I think copies of Football Manager should be licenced, with each licence holder needing to pass a basic common sense and IQ test.The cost of licencing should be borne by the Premier League, comfortably paid for by Joey Barton''s total fines.

We have beaten Man U at home, even Real Madrid couldn''t manage that, so anything but Champions League qualification should be met by booing and regarded as abject failure.

Houghton out.

In simplistic terms, the op has some merit.   The tactics against the top six teams have yielded good points at home.   To have been more attacking against some of the other teams may have got us more points - but it may not be so simple.    Hughton appears to want us to play is in the same way every match and have a consistent approach.  If he had changed tactics around too much for different matches we might have lost that consistency which has put us into 12th place so far.    So to think if things had been different we would be better off is easy to say, but the facts show we are doing pretty well as it is, so full marks to Hughton, so far.

[quote user="pablofarmer"]At the end of the day picking points off of the top 6 is fun, but when it comes down to the wire it''s the points you lose against those around you that hurt you. S far we have drawn against West Ham, Fulham and QPR at home, three games lots of people said we should of won. If we had, then we would be on 41 points, put us currently in 7th, 1point off Europe! I know that''s a simplistic view, and I do love turning over the big boys but hope we can start to do the same against those in the lower half of the table.[/quote]

Bloo dy right it is

Three extra wins instead of draws is 6 extra points, not nine extra points

ps since when are QPR around us ?

And don''t knock those points that are ''picked up for fun'' - a third of our points have been achieved in home games against the top six teams. take those away and we would be around QPR ...almost

I think the arrogant "weaker teams" descriptions should be left to the simpletons who attach themselves to the so called big clubs. I take great satisfation in the fact that Man. Utd, Arsenal and Everton fans have been turned over by their so called weaker rivals. But I wouldn''t like to think fans of teams that happen to be below us taking that sort of satisfaction at our expense. We have no right to beat anybody. Every team we play is an opportunity and every point we pick up is worth the same.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

I think the arrogant "weaker teams" descriptions should be left to the simpletons who attach themselves to the so called big clubs. I take great satisfation in the fact that Man. Utd, Arsenal and Everton fans have been turned over by their so called weaker rivals. But I wouldn''t like to think fans of teams that happen to be below us taking that sort of satisfaction at our expense. We have no right to beat anybody. Every team we play is an opportunity and every point we pick up is worth the same.

[/quote]

Luton Town

[quote user="pablofarmer"]At the end of the day picking points off of the top 6 is fun, but when it comes down to the wire it''s the points you lose against those around you that hurt you.

S far we have drawn against West Ham, Fulham and QPR at home, three games lots of people said we should of won.

If we had, then we would be on 41 points, put us currently in 7th, 1point off Europe!

I know that''s a simplistic view, and I do love turning over the big boys but hope we can start to do the same against those in the lower half of the table.[/quote]

Not true. We would be on 38 points now as we drew all of those games.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]So would you say that Man Utd are "stronger" than us?  is that being arrogant or just realistic? Arrogance is more of your dismissive response.

[quote user="Jersey Canary"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

So would you say that Man Utd are "stronger" than us?  is that being arrogant or just realistic? Arrogance is more of your dismissive response.
[/quote]

No that''s not what I said[8-|] I said that their fans refer to us as so called weaker rivals. I said we have no right to beat anybody. Every team we play is an opportunity and every point we pick up is worth the same.

I will add for your benefit no other club has the right to beat us. Every team that plays us has an opportunity and every point they pick up is worth the same.

Is that clear enough for you. Can''t see where it''s dismissive though. Of course it would help all teams to have Gareth Bale on board.