Sign in to follow this  
BroadstairsR

Has Hughton made a bad signing yet?

One by one they come good. Snodgrass, Bassong, Tettey, Whittaker, Turner .... and now Kamara. That''s good for me.

He has his detractors on this board but even they will be hard put to criticise the man for his ability to make a good signing. 

I seem to remember he had this reputation at Newcastle.

His signings cannot be faulted at all. I am excited to see who else he brings in this summer. 
Some will argue he only got it right at Newcastle because of the Jimmy Carr''s dad, but surely a manager still has to check a player out and approve it himself before bringing them in

"Some will argue he only got it right at Newcastle because of the Jimmy Carr''s dad"

I doubt that Jimmy Carr''s dad has anything at all to do with it.

[quote user="singupcarrowroad"]"Some will argue he only got it right at Newcastle because of the Jimmy Carr''s dad"

I doubt that Jimmy Carr''s dad has anything at all to do with it.[/quote]
Alan Carr even, too many famous Carr''s

Jimmy Carr?! More likely to be Franz Carr''s dad...

Ok, so it should be Alan Carr then...

As for Hughton, only Butterfield has not worked out yet. As for Kamara, even if he does nothing else from here on in, his signing has been successful as he has played a key role in getting us 3 points. It wouldn''t have happened without his introduction yesterday

[quote user="Hannibal II"]Harry Kane, Butterfield, for sure time will tell if we really needed to bring in Lee Camp or not.[/quote]

I guess if Ruddy hadn''t been injured time would have told if we''d needed Bunn...

Wiz said "Harry Kane and the jury''s out with Tetty for me, but thats seems all after KK''s performance today."

Harry Kane will end up being a half decent player I think. That doesn''t stop it not being a good signing for us at this time, and for him. He seemed to do ok for Leicester this week though. I think he needed to be loaned out at a lower lever rather than into our pressure cooker situation. Had we had two decent strikers and Harry was coming on at the end of games building up confidence and experiencing winning more I think he would have been fine, too big a risk for a side finding it''s rhythm though.

You must seriously be joking about Tettey though? In some games this season he has been awesome. And he is relatively consistent. If you are saying he is not good because he isn''t creative then you are missing the point. It''d be like saying that Ruddy is rubbish because he has no dribbling skills.

Butterfield I think is fair to say that the jury is out, harsh possibly due to having come back from injury. Although some may also claim that it wasn''t a Hughton signing - although I am not sure we will ever know the exact facts of that one until whatever time he leaves if ever.

Hannibal II, we brought in Lee Camp to allow Rudd out on loan. That is worthwhile whether he kicks/catches a ball for us or not.

Lee Camp wasn''t in Forest''s plans and his contract was up at the end of this season, so the move makes good sense for him too, he gets to train with an excellent GK coach for six months before finding a new club in summer. It is also an insurance policy against the possibility that Mark Bunn decides that he enjoys being on the pitch rather than on the bench, because that would be easy business.

Although McLeish has gone now of course, I wonder Camp would in hindsight have stuck around to see if the new man fancied giving him a new deal.

He and his team have an excellent eye for a player which gives me so much confidence for the future as we gradually improve the squad and kick on.Norwich and the manager need to be a long term project with no knee jerk moaning when we have a poor spell. Butterfield is theonlyone who has not come off yet but has time on his side

[quote user="Yorkshire Canary"] Butterfield is theonlyone who has not come off yet but has time on his side[/quote]

He has got time on his side but I''m not sure that time will be at this club.

I think all of CH''s ten permanent signings have been excellent, though we need to see more of Butterfield. Kane scored 7 goals in 21 games for Millwall last year but was unlikely to get much playing time after Becchio and Kamara came in. I also look forward to CH''s summer signings, when he can concentrate on quality rather than quantity on a much larger budget.

[quote user="Chelmsford Canary"]Surely the jury is definately out there for Turner?

Has good games and then disappears/makes a couple of shockers![/quote]That can be said of Bassong too really, awesome most of the time then looks really shaky then back to awesome, - I think they are both turning out to be good signings, just Turner got off on the wrong foot.

Bassong and Turner have been monumental in most of our victories - everyone has a bad game now and then but these two have been massive factors in our success and Turner does not get enough credit in my opinion!

[quote user="Chelmsford Canary"]Surely the jury is definately out there for Turner?

Has good games and then disappears/makes a couple of shockers![/quote]

You seem to have spelt Tettey using the letters T U R N E R ???

[quote user="Chelmsford Canary"]Surely the jury is definately out there for Turner? Has good games and then disappears/makes a couple of shockers![/quote]

No. No doubt over Michael Turner at all.

He is immense. One of the best central defenders the club has had in many, many years and is one half of the best defensive partnership we''ve had in years and years.

My doubts about Turner have completely gone.

Looking every inch the player that Sunderland signed from Hull for £6m.

He didn''t have a good time of it at Sunderland but they reportedly beat Man City and Liverpool to his signing in 2009.

I thought we''d signed Gary Doherty II at the start of the season, but he has hardly put a foot wrong over the past four months.

[quote user="priceyrice"]His signings cannot be faulted at all. I am excited to see who else he brings in this summer. 
Some will argue he only got it right at Newcastle because of the Jimmy Carr''s dad, but surely a manager still has to check a player out and approve it himself before bringing them in
[/quote]

Alan Carr''s dad, not Jimmy. Jimmy and Alan are not related. Lol

I doubt Butterfield was ''technically'' a Hughton signing, reading between the lines a deal was already in the pipieline before he arrived - but I guess he must have sanctioned the move on his arrival.

Interesting to see he hadn''t seen Kamara in action before we signed him - credit to the scouting team for that one then!!

We could have signed Butterfield as early as last January. Players under 24 can sign a deal to join another club just like players over 24, its just that compensation is due. That was going to go to tribunal before we settled for £1m.

Butterfield is supposed to be an extremely good player though so I wouldn''t write him off yet. He had a bad injury and has still only played 15 games since returning, after a full pre-season he might get a go here.

Howson hasn''t exactly set the world alight in the Hoolahan role (better in a 4-4-2), and Butterfield played behind the striker at Barnsley. It is entirely possible that Butterfield is still seen as a possible Hoolahan deputy/successor. He is playing for a very good Palace team who are in the play-off places.

I feel that we are a long way away from writing off Jacob Butterfield now that he is back to full health.

I expect him to be in the mix next season, and look forward to it.

Kane was just a minor blip with mitigating circumstances thrown in. There seemed to be some old Tottenham connections at work there and Hughton took a punt as a result, after failing to land any of his other targets at the time. I think he was also put on the spot by the Vaughan situation, whereby the player showed some unhappiness with our Club despite the fact that we had nursed him for a season. Neither would he have been fully aware of the limitations of Jackson nor the enigma that is Morison.

At the time, it was more straightforward to remedy the defensive problems than it was to address weaknesses up-front. He did just that.

Agree about Butterfield, supposed to be a very good player.

I suspect that we will look at the 22 year old Harry Kane and realise just why Hughton took a punt on him.

Once upon a time we had Kieron Gibbs on loan, wouldn''t have guessed at the time that he''d become an Arsenal regular with England caps. Wouldn''t say no to him now would we?