Sign in to follow this  
morty

Strikers.

Our options in that department have changed somewhat recently, what are we thinking Hughton''s game plan is?Will Holt leave in the summer? Will Jackson leave?Will our strikers be Kamara, Becchio, Hooper and Vaughn?Could Vaughn actually return to give us more than Simeon does right now?(Obviously I''m assuming Chris Martin won''t be here)

Martin has reconciled himself to not being here now - given the latest report on the home page.

There will be wholesale changes up front this summer, probably only Holt, Becchio & Kamara surviving the cull, but have a sneaking feeling Holt may depart as well.  Better for all if it is the more radical, the better. 

Given the money and the players we tried to capture in January, I wouldn''t be surprised if we see massive changes in the summer.

Kamara is looking likely to become a summer signing, what we''ve seen so far definitely looks promising!

Holt also may well leave with the obvious rumours he wants to head back up North with his family - however, he did just sign a long contract so that ones in the balance.

Becchio looks like a decent player to keep around, but I do feel like C Martin, Jacko and Vaughan will all be gone in the summer with quality replacements being bought in

I think with new signings etc. Hughton''s gameplan may well work a damn site better with a higher calibre of players

I think if someone makes an offer for Holt and can tempt him away from what is very likely an excellent contract at Norwich, he will be off.

January showed that Hughton is looking for a big signing up front, with the large offers made for Hooper and the interest in RvW - I would expect a marquee signing in this area in the summer.

Jackson will be off in the summer, out of contract and out of favour, the fact he slipped from the bench on Saturday shows that. Vaughan made it pretty clear he doesn''t want to be in Norwich, I expect a transfer to a Championship side in the summer, low fee with plenty of add ons. And Martin, as you say, is also 99% gone already. Kamara''s loan finishes before the end of the season and I wouldn''t be surprised if Norwich don''t take up the option to sign him - he''s had a great start but if he can keep up those levels of performance will be a keen test.

This leaves Becchio as the only striker who is in contract beyond the summer and definite to stay - with a large wad of cash heading Norwich''s way in the summer I think there might be some pleasant surprises coming to Norwich from the continent to boost the attacking options.

I can''t see Holty going to be honest, to leave us he would have to find a team willing to buy him for a couple of million at least, pay his wages (and he must be on a fair wedge now), bearing in mind his age I can''t see it - unless Sunderland come in for him, they would probably buy me if they thought I might be a striker.I think Martin, Jackson and Vaughan will leave on permanent deals and we will try and add two maybe three more - probably Kamara if he keeps going like he has started, Hooper and another.

Have you noticed the real dip in form of the magical Hooper?

I really hope that we get someone with more about them than Hooper come the summer.

Kamara if he continues with this type of hyperactive performance will be a fans favourite very quickly. I think we need to wait and see how he does in the last 11 games, but for me he’s better than Jackson and the former Morison.

Becchio is here for at least next season and did well on Saturday, not sure just how good he is, gets himself involved and had a single chance, but lacks the pace and energy of Kamara. Better than Morison, not sure yet.

Holt, well little rumours here and there have him setting up a move back north, just that no one really knows when that might be, next season or the season after, no doubt still a great forward to have on the pitch and hope he’s here for next year.

Martin, as good as gone.

Jackson, tried hard but was never good enough for this league and I keep harping on about this mythical pace some say he has, he doesn’t. Another who will be out of the door come summer time, IMO.

Vaughan, I think he will be sold to a Championship team, if we were to be relegated I think he would be kept here, but I don’t think we are going anywhere near the Championship soon.

Who would I like to sign, Kadlec from Sparta, a natural replacement for Wes, would give us options and quality in the last third of the pitch.

I would make a big effort to sign Chris Wood from Leicester, I know he’s only been there a few months but I like his work rate, he’s big and scores goals.

I would love to go in next season with Holt, Kamara, Becchio, Wood & Kadlec.

We need Holty here next season. He doesn''t have to start every game to be a huge asset. If we are going to increase our striking options it would be madness to then let Holt go and reduce them again. We don''t want to replace - him we want to add to him.

I still wonder if Vaughn has something to offer though?And I wouldn''t be totally unhappy with Vaughn, Hooper, Becchio and Kamara. I think that would be a good mix.

I should have added I would like to see Holty stay, as Indy says he is very useful and will continue to be so I think.I would like us to pick up Formica from Blackburn, not an out and out striker but does the Wes type role very well.Hooper is always going to be a punt but if we get him for £3 - 4m then why not have a go, in the summer he will only have one year left on his deal so I can''t see why anyone would pay more than that.Maybe look at trying to get Macheda from Man''Ure, doesn''t look like he will break through into their team but he has always looked useful - get him for the right price and see where it takes us.Other than that Kolbein Sigurdson (apologies for spelling) is always dynamite on football manager so that is bound to work out in real life.[:)]

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

We need Holty here next season. He doesn''t have to start every game to be a huge asset. If we are going to increase our striking options it would be madness to then let Holt go and reduce them again. We don''t want to replace - him we want to add to him.

[/quote]I do wonder though that he has signalled his intent with his house purchase?

[quote user="morty"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]I do wonder though that he has signalled his intent with his house purchase?[/quote]Where did he buy in the end, sorry, I heard some rumblings awhile ago but I haven''t been coming on here much lately due to the idiocy that gets spouted by some. Has he moved the family back ''oopnorth?

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

It really depends on what kind of quality Norwich are able to attract in the summer - for me the problem with having Holt around but not playing is the negative effects it has on the fans and other players. Look what happened to Morison - he was playing really well and scoring goals, but the fans wouldn''t take to him because he isn''t Grant Holt - if he didn''t score for 60 mins it was always ''get Moro off and bring on Holt'' or ''Holt would have scored by now''.

If talk of players such as RvW is true, then this is a step up from Holty, and as Hughton will nearly always prefer 1 up front (like many, many managers in the Prem) then the club only need 3 strikers, and prehaps a youngster making up the 4th spot.

For me a clean start is a much better option. Would be a fitting end for Holt and Norwich as well, rather than dumping him on the bench (which he wouldn''t take quietly) and watching him become a more marginal figure.

[quote user="morty"]I still wonder if Vaughn has something to offer though?And I wouldn''t be totally unhappy with Vaughn, Hooper, Becchio and Kamara. I think that would be a good mix.[/quote]

I would. That''s not the best mix of players.

Becchio is the only hold up striker in there and if you are going to play with that type of striker, as most teams tend to, then you need to have a back up.

Jury is out on Vaughan. I don''t think he wants to be here.

Having said that both C. Martin and Jackson are out of contract in the summer which will free up one squad slot if neither of them are kept on - which looks to be highly unlikely considering players who are getting contract extensions look to be those already on longer contracts rather than those just about to run out.

Essentially that would leave us with Holt, Becchio, Kamara, Vaughan - should he stay.

But more than likely we will end up with Holt, Becchio, Kamara and one or two others.

[quote user="AJ"]He bought a house back in Carlisle[/quote]Cheers.That''s not a huge surprise, I think all of us had our eyes opened in the Summer and realised that he was never going to settle in the area and become our next Darren Huckerby. I know he has kids of varying ages so I assume this was connected with getting them inot a school they could stay at rather than moving everyone in three year''s time.If he goes he goes, so long as we get a couple of million for him we can only wish him well, his goals over the last three years have been invaluable and he will always be a City legend for that.

Man City are likely to be having a massive clearout in the summer and John Guidetti will be one of them. from all i have seen he is a massive prospect. and would like us to pursue RvW again, with less time left on his contract should be available for less than quoted in January.

[quote user="star_manic"]Man City are likely to be having a massive clearout in the summer and John Guidetti
will be one of them. from all i have seen he is a massive prospect. and would like us to pursue RvW again, with less time left on his contract should be available for less than quoted in January.
[/quote]

I really doubt he will be, Man City have made it clear he has a future there and turned down numerous loan deals for him in January.

He hasn''t played this season due to this long term injury and his relatively slow recovery - the players leaving Man City will be the overpaid, underachiving ones (if they can find any mugs to take them). Players like Guidetti will be held onto, and even if he is sold - with the amount of hype surrounding him I can see him going for around £10m.

I think, most importantly for me, is that we have made progress already. We have brought in two strikers that give us options, as opposed to Jackson and Morison, which really haven''t given us anything this season.I too would like to keep Holty, but he has started the transition to where he is going to settle, and I think if the right deal came up in the summer, that meant he could be with his family, then he''d take it, and I would completely understand.

I think that is slight speculation Morty.

It could be that he knows that come the end of his current contract he will look to return to his home ties up North. I wouldn''t blame him for that.

And if he does want to go, as with any player really, is there much you can really do about it?

However, I have seen little from him that indicates he does not want to remain here for at least another season. He and Wes are central to what we have been doing the last few years and Hughton still rates them both highly enough to even speak of Holt being a big miss when we don''t have him.

[quote user="chicken"]I think that is slight speculation Morty.

It could be that he knows that come the end of his current contract he will look to return to his home ties up North. I wouldn''t blame him for that.

And if he does want to go, as with any player really, is there much you can really do about it?

However, I have seen little from him that indicates he does not want to remain here for at least another season. He and Wes are central to what we have been doing the last few years and Hughton still rates them both highly enough to even speak of Holt being a big miss when we don''t have him.[/quote]Of course its speculation.Errrrr, did you miss him putting a transfer request at the beginning of the season then?I know that was likely more about contractual issues, and I don''t blame him for that, he must put himself and his family first, we''d all do that.I don''t want him to go in the summer, but I really wouldn''t be massively surprised if he did.

I''m personaly quite sure we will have Holt at least one season more. He wouldnt have signed that contract otherwise.

Becchio is new Morison for me ^^ I like both guys, but they dont really offer much more than 1 tower in middle of opponents line when we are chasing. If used right he is great asset, but I prefer all rounder like Holt in his spot. I think all the reason we get Becchio was that we couldnt snatch RvW nor Hooper.

Kamara has started bright and thing I really like him is that he is well suited and used to play as a winger for either side and we really dont have other striker than him. For me he is a keep and depending how his games go for the rest of season I will be quite upset if we dont sign him.

I would let Vaughan go as if he cant stay fit, he just takes one spot from the team. Too bad for him as he really got some talent.

Jackson and Martin will both most likely go.

So for me we have 3 strikers for next season and as all three of them are quite big and two of the quite slow, I would like to see someone littlebit more versatile player getting the 4th striker spot in the team.

Someone like for example Shaktar''s Henrik Mkhitaryan, who is fast, has nice shot and can be dropped in 10 spot. We kind a lack any shadow strikers. Good as Hoolahan is for our building up play he dont know where the goal is ^^

Holt has got a nice contract here now so you''d have to wonder who would be prepared to give him the same money again to a player who is soon to 32. But obviously if the money is right for the player and club then you never know.

Vaughan isn''t up to it in the Premier League and obviously doesn''t want to be here. Chris Martin isn''t up to it. Simeon Jackson isn''t really either so it''s hard to see him being here next season.

Becchio is a good signing. I hope he gets the backing of the fans. I''m a little worried that he won''t be given a fair chance because of the impact Kei has made and the nature of his signing. But Luciano has scored goals regularly for a big club and his record his better than Kei''s.

That''s not to take anything away from Kei but from the mutterings and murmurings I heard around me at the game on Saturday I can already tell that there are people who are out to find fault with Becchio.

" Holt has got a nice contract here now so you''d have to wonder who would be prepared to give him the same money again to a player who is soon to 32"

Although his money could be the same, the amount releative to income would drop for PL teams next year, so I could see him moving to Sunderland, or even a promoted team like Cardiff or Hull.

I thought he bought a house so his kids can go to school in Carlisle seeing as he''ll be retiring in a few years anyway and doesn''t want to disrupt their educations..

Anyway.

Keep Holt, Kei (if he keeps doing well) and Becchio (if he does well). Let Vaughan and Jackson go. Martin is finished with us already.

Get in a fast technical/clinical striker or two

"Have you noticed the real dip in form of the magical Hooper?"

On Saturday he got got hauled down in the area to win a penalty early in the second, the opposition player got a red card with the game at 1-0. Dundee subsequently capitulated and the scorer of the 5th Celtic goal was Hooper who controlled a 40 yard ball onto his chest before vollying it into the far corner.

So no, not really. If that is Hooper out of form then I can''t wait to see him in a yellow shirt.

He''s quality and I really don''t understand why people would object to seeing him in a city shirt for £5m to £6m.

Maybe because I happened to see Vaughan''s MOTM performance  against Hertha in Austria, I was disappointed at  him being loaned out. In hindsight, he would have been a better option than Jackson, Moro or Kane. While I''m not sure he still be around next season, I would not be unhappy about it.

I just think that at 24 and with the injuries he has had, and knowing that he won''t be the top top player that he was touted to be, he should play wherever he is most likely to get games.

If we hang on to him is he going to be any more than a bit part player like Jackson? He spent 7 years as a bit part player at Everton, just time for him to play as much football as he can whilst he can.

If we are in the PL, I think Holt, Jackson and Vaughan will leave in the summer. So strikers next year Kamara, Becchio + 2 others. If we are in the Championship I think Kamara is still likely to join but there will be less opportunity to trade up, so Holt et al may well stay too.

[quote user="Highland Canary"]If we are in the PL, I think Holt, Jackson and Vaughan will leave in the summer. So strikers next year Kamara, Becchio + 2 others. If we are in the Championship I think Kamara is still likely to join but there will be less opportunity to trade up, so Holt et al may well stay too.[/quote]In the Championship?Lol.

Kamara has a fair few games to show his worth, no need to put pressure on the lad.

I agree with a lot that has been said. Simply put we will have becchio and holt on the books in the summer. We need two strikers that are going to be a goal threat each game, rwp''s calibre would be amazing in a Ncfc shirt. That quality alongside a hooper-esque talent for 4 million would be fine.

In regard to holt he would be good in the books but he is not the main striker I want to rely on next season. We need to be putting together a stable prem side not one just looking for safety.