Sign in to follow this  
Derby Canary

To R Hucker & all other CH detractors out there!

Sometimes, Mr Hucker, I think you are impressed by the sound of your own ''pen''.CH

has recruited exceptionally well (Bassong, Snodgrass, Turner, Garrido,

Tettey, etc + now Becchio/Kamara). Additional and equally importantly he knows when a player is overpriced however much he wants him.He was far sighted enough to realise

that we required cover for Ruddy and bought in the excellent Bunn. He

has farmed out dead wood to prove themselves or go (Vaughan, Ayala, Martin, Ward etc). He has given our

young players the opportunity to develop their skills and gain

experience. He has dealt with the contracts of the key players in our squad who seem very happy to re-sign for him. He has ''engineered'' wins over Man Utd, Arsenal, Tottenham,

Everton and the excellent Swansea. We now sit at a key stage of the

season in mid table with our premiership future pretty much assured. In

achieving this he has worked within budgets and (unlike QPR) has not

risked the financial future of our Club.Not sure how much of that lot happens ''by accident''.Alright there will be ''blips'' along the way, with the inevitable limitations of our developing squad sometimes it is necessary for compromises but next year (all being well) we are likely to be able to be more ''expansive''.He

goes about his business with dignity and is highly respected by his

piers who with respect are far more knowledgeable than you (or I) about

this game.I suspect it was the likes of you that got him removed from Newcastle and spent the next few years wondering why!In summary I am delighted to have this decent man at the helm of our Club - long may it continue.

[quote user="Derby Canary"]Sometimes, Mr Hucker, I think you are impressed by the sound of your own ''pen''.

CH has recruited exceptionally well (Bassong, Snodgrass, Turner, Garrido, Tettey, etc + now Becchio/Kamara). Additional and equally importantly he knows when a player is overpriced however much he wants him.

He was far sighted enough to realise that we required cover for Ruddy and bought in the excellent Bunn. He has farmed out dead wood to prove themselves or go (Vaughan, Ayala, Martin, Ward etc). He has given our young players the opportunity to develop their skills and gain experience. He has dealt with the contracts of the key players in our squad who seem very happy to re-sign for him. He has ''engineered'' wins over Man Utd, Arsenal, Tottenham, Everton and the excellent Swansea. We now sit at a key stage of the season in mid table with our premiership future pretty much assured. In achieving this he has worked within budgets and (unlike QPR) has not risked the financial future of our Club.

Not sure how much of that lot happens ''by accident''.

Alright there will be ''blips'' along the way, with the inevitable limitations of our developing squad sometimes it is necessary for compromises but next year (all being well) we are likely to be able to be more ''expansive''.

He goes about his business with dignity and is highly respected by his piers who with respect are far more knowledgeable than you (or I) about this game.

I suspect it was the likes of you that got him removed from Newcastle and spent the next few years wondering why!

In summary I am delighted to have this decent man at the helm of our Club - long may it continue.
[/quote]

Thanks for your imput Mrs Hughton.................I accept the dignity bit though.

Good post Derby Canary, well reasoned arguments but I think you are overstating my views towards Hughton.

I agree with most of what you say about Hughton. I just want to see him show greater enterprise.

Well said Derby. I was very pleased when CH was appointed and I am even more pleased now. In the PL, there will be difficult runs of games against big teams, but this last run from Chelsea through to Liverpool and Spurs has been particularly arduous. CH has managed the situation well, IMO, and once the attacking players are available (which they weren''t against Fulham), he showed that he will be attacking in his approach to good effect. I also agree that his signings have been first-rate on the budget available.

The real point is that everyone is entitled to his/her opinion. What you have to to do is look at what Chris Hughton has done over the enire season so far, what he has done with the squad as a whole, and how he has applied his strategy as a whole and then draw your own conclusions.

For the record, my conclusion is that Chris Hughton is doing a solid job for us on the whole. It can be argued he has frustrated elements of the football illuminati but the common fan, I guess, is more than likely satisfied with what they are seeing. Football is a results business, and with what CH has available to him and with the 3/4 of a season he has had so far he has the results expected of him.

I think Hughton is a nice guy, good judge of talent,who is so close to being a top manager.

The one area he lets himself down in, is his bravery. He fears the opposition, always pointing out their perceived strengths, and fears what will happen if he lets our players off the leash in the slightest. Today our players took matters into heir own hands and battered down the doors because they could. He needs to trust them. They may not be the greatest technical players in the league but they''re not headless chickens. They can be allowed to attack without the fear that they''ll forget themselves and not chase back if needed to.

I agree with Rudolph''s summation. But it''s not about being anti-Hughton. His defensive 4-2-3-1 will be exactly what we need at Old Trafford and defensively we are far better this season. He does need to take the training wheels off offensively though because his lack of courage breeds fear which isn''t healthy.

"CH has recruited exceptionally well (Bassong, Snodgrass, Turner, Garrido, Tettey, etc + now Becchio/Kamara). Additional and equally importantly he knows when a player is overpriced however much he wants him.

He was far sighted enough to realise that we required cover for Ruddy and bought in the excellent Bunn. He has farmed out dead wood to prove themselves or go (Vaughan, Ayala, Martin, Ward etc). He has given our young players the opportunity to develop their skills and gain experience. He has dealt with the contracts of the key players in our squad who seem very happy to re-sign for him. He has ''engineered'' wins over Man Utd, Arsenal, Tottenham, Everton and the excellent Swansea. We now sit at a key stage of the season in mid table with our premiership future pretty much assured. In achieving this he has worked within budgets and (unlike QPR) has not risked the financial future of our Club
."

I would attribute much of that (the off pitch stuff) to McNally and the board

[quote user="Canary02 IV"]I think Hughton is a nice guy, good judge of talent,who is so close to being a top manager. The one area he lets himself down in, is his bravery. He fears the opposition, always pointing out their perceived strengths, and fears what will happen if he lets our players off the leash in the slightest. Today our players took matters into heir own hands and battered down the doors because they could. He needs to trust them. They may not be the greatest technical players in the league but they''re not headless chickens. They can be allowed to attack without the fear that they''ll forget themselves and not chase back if needed to. I agree with Rudolph''s summation. But it''s not about being anti-Hughton. His defensive 4-2-3-1 will be exactly what we need at Old Trafford and defensively we are far better this season. He does need to take the training wheels off offensively though because his lack of courage breeds fear which isn''t healthy.[/quote]

In particular, I''m interested in your comment

"The one area he lets himself down in, is his bravery. He fears the opposition, always pointing out their perceived strengths....."

I have noticed a number of people alluding to this - have you ever considered that this may be part of his overall ploy to lull the opposition into a false sense of security? I very, very, very much doubt that he is saying the same things to the squad prior to any match!

Well said ABC.  It''s amazing how people can''t read between the lines when CH speaks.  CH is a well spoken footballer, coach and now manager.  If anybody on here has the same CV then I''d like to see it.  The squad seems to be solidifying into a regular Premiership role under CH, so I believe that CH should given the respect he deserves from the supporters.  Our GD is due to 3 games.  Take those away and it''s been a very good season. 

I''m not so sure it''s ''luring the opposition into a false sense of security'', but rather just taking the pressure off the players. If he came out and said "yeah, we should be better than (insert club) and losing/only getting a draw was therefore a bad result" it doesn''t do much for squad morale.

I can''t argue with the results (too much) but by God it''s been a rather dull brand of football this season. That said i''m still prepared to give Hughton next season to become more expansive, quicker, and attacking and then we''ll see where we are..