Sign in to follow this  
Felixfan

Is this signing the first result of Acadamy I status?

Canaries snap up teen Reading

Highly rated goalkeeper Tyler Reading has signed for Premier League side Norwich City, Luton Town confirmed on Wednesday.

The teenage shot-stopper came up through the Hatters'' development programme, but will now further his education with the Canaries on a two-year scholarship agreement for an undisclosed fee.

Town''s head of youth operations, Matt Stannard, told the club''s official website: "Whilst it is our ultimate aim to push players all the way through our development programme, we would never stand in the way of a player who is offered the opportunity to move onto a bigger club.

"Obviously, the deal has to be right for all parties and we, as a club, would always ensure the welfare and future development of the child before entering into discussions with any club.

"We felt in this instance that this was the right move for Tyler and Luton Town Football Club."

Hmmm. Actually this is an interesting one not just if it is the result of the new academy status but it could have further ramifications.

Both Rudd and Steer are out of contract this summer. I doubt we would let both go, and I hope we let neither go, but if this chap is 16-ish then he is only a couple of years behind Steer.

Not too sure where young Tyler originates from but if he is from Luton surely he fell within the old rules.

Blimey, haven''t we got enough keepers !

Seriously though I think we are going to see far more of this - as the recent additions to the club have shown.

It certainly demonstrates how far we are ''casting the net'' and is a measure of the direction the club is going. The huge increased income from PL status will allow for far more of this and makes you wonder if the club might simply concentrate on ''developing'' other clubs prospects rather than bringing kids through from age 6. or something.

Either way, welcome aboard lad

This has nothing to do with Academy I status, it has everything to do with us simply paying Luton Town for us to buy an U18 keeper for the next season.

So we have:

Tyler Reading (16/17)

Remi Matthews (19)

Jed Steer (20)

Declan Rudd (22)

Mark Bunn

John Ruddy

Love the way that they are all English. I can see Remi Matthews being released, Jed Steer being our Under 21 keeper, Declan Rudd going out on loan again.

We are becoming a bit of a goalkeeping factory here, but you don''t sign the England goalkeeping coach without giving him some goalkeepers to coach, I guess.

I wouldn''t say we are becoming one, I think we have had a reasonable stream of goal keepers going out there and doing reasonably.

Perhaps this crop are better, who knows? But since A.Marshall we have had a few. Let''s not forget Joe Lewis who people thought, at the time, was a mistake to let go.

I''d also go with what you say on Matthews, if he isn''t as promising as Rudd and Steer.

[quote user="chicken"]Hmmm. Actually this is an interesting one not just if it is the result of the new academy status but it could have further ramifications.

Both Rudd and Steer are out of contract this summer. I doubt we would let both go, and I hope we let neither go, but if this chap is 16-ish then he is only a couple of years behind Steer.[/quote]i think you might be right.. Rudd is obviously loaned out to get more experience in games.. Steer will probably let go if this lad is any good. With Ruddy, Bunn and Rudd here next season. we can loan Declan out and Reading can learn from the other 2.

Not sure this is anything to do with category 1 status as being a scholar there were no restrictions anyway other than cost.

When we start to be able to develop kids from 6 years old then category 1 would have worked.

All Academy 1 status does is instead of releasing players at 18 they''ll get released at 22, There is a small benefit of that some players kept on may mature between 18-22. The Premier league wants to encourage the top teams to keep their young players on rather than releasing them and thus stopping the player getting picked up by a lower league team or retiring.

It''s probably more so to do with this....

http://www.edp24.co.uk/sport/norwich-city-fc/luton_town_s_gregg_broughton_joins_norwich_city_s_academy_setup_1_1444623

Wonder if Rudd will move on? He''s out of contract but we''d still get a fee-maybe negotiate a buy back clause into it or something.

Wondering also if Bunn will move on in the Summer-he''s had, and is having, prolonged playing time and exposure in the Prem, is he going to want to be a number 2 again? Am sure there will be clubs aware of him and that fact-and his agent will be. If he goes and Camp doesn''t stay beyond the end of the season either...?

Comings and goings at all levels throughout the club in the Summer seemingly. And a good prospect signed here. Long may it continue-expect Mark Tyler had a few words with him.

I do not think a young starlet would have come to us without the infrastructure of acadamy 1 status. Not sure anyway whether Luton would have been within our previous limited range. We are obviously seen as a good club for young keepers to mature. Without acadamy 1 status he would surely have gone to one of the London clubs.

Norwich can offer a better package to the youth player. I''ve seen they''re spending three million on facilities but there no point having top facilities without the recruitment side so hopefully they''re focusing some energy on that.

As Norwich had to bring in a young keeper from Southampton on a temporary deal to cover an injury to Remi Matthews I think it is safe to say we are lacking in this area.

Also, even though Rudd is under 23 Norwich would only be able to get a fee for him if the club offer him a contract on the same terms as his existing one.

I imagine both Rudd and Steer will have new contracts and will both see out most of the season on loan, Matthews, this new guy and one other will represent the U16, U18 and U21 squads.

Norwich have been signing up young players for most of the season, including the French/Algerian guy from Rangers and another player from Germany; it just doesn''t attract much attention.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

The money Norwich are spending is all part of getting category one status in the EPPP.

[/quote]No it actually so they can get it, everyone who applied for it last year got it but next season those who have facilities within the guidelines will get it.

[quote user="Ches right hand man "][quote user="nutty nigel"]

The money Norwich are spending is all part of getting category one status in the EPPP.

[/quote]

No it actually so they can get it, everyone who applied for it last year got it but next season those who have facilities within the guidelines will get it.
[/quote]

Are those two statements not the same thing?

Norwich passed an audit last year to be accepted. The audit was done on the day of the friendly against Reading. They have to continually meet the criteria to keep category one status not just this year or next year. This includes the investment they are making at Colney and the continued investment on an increased coaching staff. Interestingly part of the audit was contracted out to a company from Belgium. We just like to think we''re ahead of the game in this country.

[quote user="singupcarrowroad"]So we have: Tyler Reading (16/17) Remi Matthews (19) Jed Steer (20) Declan Rudd (22) Mark Bunn John Ruddy .[/quote]

Can''t forget about poor Lee Camp, not that he''s likely to ever actually play for us!

"Norwich have been signing up young players for most of the season, including the French/Algerian guy from Rangers and another player from Germany; it just doesn''t attract much attention."

Much as the two Murphy''s only joined us ''recently''.

This cat 1 status has allowed or caused us to bring in a whole new level of young players, and suggests that in a a couple of years or we will be seeing the benefit of this development.

I would suggest that we will have to get used to us having a far bigger pool of players, many who will be out on loan as clubs like Chelsea already do. Gone will be the days where players had to be in the first team squad by 21 or so otherwise they would have to be shipped out permanently to save on the wage bill. Players like Rudd and Steer will stay on our books for sometime as the develop their potential and will only be brought into the first team as and when they are ready, not as some filling in the gaps/learning on the job exercise.

Further to Bethnal''s post this is an area that appears to have gone quite unnoticed by many. It is a huge transformation and one the club has clearly embraced and sees as a vital part of our future. Shame the pinkun doesn''t give it a bit more coverage.

It is a huge transformation and I for one would like to know more about how things are going. I don''t buy programs anymore, one way of saving some money while still affording my season ticket, but I do recall that Ricky Martin used to do a section every game, not sure if that is still done. I would love to now how many lads we have now brought in as a result of the distance/travelling time changes that come with level 1 status. Would also be interested to know if we are now bringing in very young lads from great distances, over 1 hour travelling, that must be very hard for mum and dad!

http://foncy.co.uk/cms/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&layout=blog&id=37&Itemid=58

There''s still some stuff on here Thef. The website is still running even though FONCY are no more. But obviously not as much as there was. There''s a bit about the under 13s in Germany. But I would imagine there are huge restrictions on media coverage of the kids so doubt you''ll find much anywhere on line.