Sign in to follow this  
Not Nigel

Will Hoolahan Go Down As A Legend?

Well and truly deserving of legendary status in my eyes.

Different to Huckerby and Holt in that they both enjoy the limelight and the attention, talking to the media, interacting with fans.

Hoolahan seems to shy away from publicity off the pitch, you don''t see many interviews with him, he isn''t on twitter, but on the pitch..... he has surely been just as important as Holt in the past three and a half years?

With his new contract he is likely to end up playing a quarter of a century of games for us across three divisions, seen a relegation and two promotions, and three or four years of Premier League football.

He is arguably now a more important member of our team than Grant Holt, and finally getting the recognition that he deserves from pundits and the media, and now finally Trappatoni.

Has or will Hoolahan achieve "legend" status? In my opinion he is in the book as Holt''s equal in terms of importance and contribution.

He is a legend.

One of my favourite players to wear the yellow and green and an absolute joy to watch at his best. A properly gifted footballer, he''d cost a fortune to replace.

When we got relegated from the Championship they payers were (incredibly) out in a club on Prince of Wales Rd. My mate was in the VIP lounge (I think he is friends with someone who works in a department store or some other highlight of Norwich society). Anyway, He was really drunk and slumped against a bar looking at the floor. Hoolahan walked past and asked him if he was ok. My mate replied that he wasn''t after watching Norwich go down to the third tier for the first time in his life and Hoolahan gave him a big hug, apologised profusely and vowed to put it right. I don''t think you''d get that from many modern day footballers.

Not until he scores 7 league goals plus as season playing from the No.2 striker position. A tough ask I know but I feel he doesn''t add a direct goal threat as a proper deep striker would.

So he has to score 7 goals next season to become a legend? Pretty sure that the history books won''t use that as a criteria for inclusion.

And besides, he currently averages 6.8 goals per season over five seasons (including this one).

So if he scores 1 more goal this season, in the next 11 games, he will average 7 a season.

So I assume that upon scoring his next goal this season he will qualify for legend status under Jersey Canary criteria?

He is already a legend. He stuck with the club when we went down, unlike the Clingans and Crofts, vowed to put it right, and did.

Always wants the ball, always offers an outlet, he changes the way we play for the better.

For me there is no question. Living legend already for us. He has been something different in our team whole time and every season has been important player while he has played for us.

Or answer this in 50 years is he going to be talked about or just remembered by the older generation of city fans in that future time period. As a club our we going to have hundred of legends or a hand few.

OK, I''m obviously out on a limb here (and therefore must be a binner) but I''m going to say no. For me, legend status comes around rarely and really only applies to those who made a tangible difference themselves over a long period or at a push for a  one-off magical moment (eg that Jeremy Goss goal). Good player? Undoubtedly. Important? Yes, at times. But have we gone to a different place as a result of his contribution over an extended period? Well, I''d argue probably not. Holt''s goals have. Ruddy''s saves may have. Hoolahan has been too inconsistent (and it''s not just that miserable penalty against Preston that I''m thinking of) and can only very rarely individually change or save a game. Out of the present crop Snodgrass could be, so could Bassong, maybe Johno and Tettey given time (for Gary 2-lungs Holt type reasons). Great guy he may be but I don''t think Wesley has that sort of influence, at least not yet in my currency. Sorry.

"But have we gone to a different place as a result of his contribution over an extended period? Well, I''d argue probably not"

9 assists in our Championship season, 16 assists in our League One season, 8 assists in our survival season.

"Holt''s goals have"

And has Holt tackled somebody on the half way line, beat five opposition players, and stuck them all in the bottom corner after going one on one with the keeper? Or have most of Hoolahan''s assists made Holt goals possible?

First off I don''t think you mean a century - that is 100, and he has made 167 appearances for us already.

However, in my mind, he is already a club legend. For sticking with the club, for helping to lift them back to where they should have been 15 years ago or more and for generally being a good egg.

However, there is something else. Never, even in the days of Huckerby, have I seen a player at Norwich with quite the skill, the natural footballing instinct that he has.

What sums it up for me is the way that in one touch he can control a high ball, nick it between his own two legs and that of the defender behind him. And already be gone before the defender can respond. On his day Hoolahan is sublime.

At times he is just sheer footballing excellence. You just have to love that.

But he also never gives up. I get the impression that he absolutely hates loosing, being part of a loosing team. He fights until the end, and I think his spirit and that of the likes of Holt and maybe some of the others - has epitomised the way the team fights.

Of course he is, easily.

We wouldn''t be where we are without him, and that is an achievement (previously discussed and dismissed a few posts back)

He will be remembered for years and years to come. I have a feeling we are slowly getting towards much better things, and for the time being Wes is a massive part of that...

I think the term legend is thrown around too much, our hall of fame is exactly the same.

I agree if the player is talked about in 15 years then fair enough. But I do think HUckerby is the only recent one.

Legend should be left for a very select few and it will always be associated with when you came to watch Ncfc and of course how much video footage there is of players.

So for me hoolahoops is not worthy of being mentioned in a top legend category. But if we can list 200+ then hoops may get in. But for me no.

[quote user="smooth"]I think the term legend is thrown around too much, our hall of fame is exactly the same.

I agree if the player is talked about in 15 years then fair enough. But I do think HUckerby is the only recent one.

Legend should be left for a very select few and it will always be associated with when you came to watch Ncfc and of course how much video footage there is of players.

So for me hoolahoops is not worthy of being mentioned in a top legend category. But if we can list 200+ then hoops may get in. But for me no.[/quote]

Agree with the above.   You have to admire his perseverance and his qualities for what they are, but there have been so many frustrating performances in amongst the good ones.    Only one foot and can only turn one way and sometimes turning  in ever decreasing circles, at other times brilliant. Hucks is a legend because every time he got the ball the expectation levels went up -  something special.   Hoolahan is a good servant of the club but imo is not a legend.

I think so. It''s very rare to see a player commit to a club nowadays with agents and crazy money contracts being thrown about.

I can see him retiring at this club and like a previous poster said he stuck with us through our dark period,had the opp to say i''m too good for this league and go elsewhere. But chose to get us out of the mess we were in and has been fantastic for us ever since.

[quote user="Empty Mirror"]He is already a legend. He stuck with the club when we went down, unlike the Clingans and Crofts, vowed to put it right, and did. Always wants the ball, always offers an outlet, he changes the way we play for the better.[/quote]

He''s not my favourite by a country mile but I''m happy to conceed to Empty Mirror on this.

Only recent club legends would have to be Huckerby and Lambert. Hoolahan has had some great games for Norwich, but for me he has just been too inconsistent. He has too many poor games and when he does he is a passenger.

I would also have to say that I think his attitude at times stinks. On Saturday against Everton he was petulant, like a kid who''d been told he couldn''t play upfront. Staggeringly noone seemed to point this out, until I read a report on the game in a paper that remarked on it.

Good player for us, stuck with us through the bad times, but not a legend for me.

[quote user="booklet"]On Saturday against Everton he was petulant, like a kid who''d been told he couldn''t play upfront. Staggeringly noone seemed to point this out, until I read a report on the game in a paper that remarked on it.

Good player for us, stuck with us through the bad times, but not a legend for me.[/quote]So glad you were able to read about it. Do you watch all the games in the newspapers or do you watch on the wireless as well? [:^)]

[quote user="booklet"]Only recent club legends would have to be Huckerby and Lambert. [/quote]

What would Holty have to do to get in?

157 games - 75 goals - Captain for two promotions and two premier league seasons.

He''s in front of both them for me and in the top five all time.

[quote user="singupcarrowroad"]So he has to score 7 goals next season to become a legend? Pretty sure that the history books won''t use that as a criteria for inclusion.

And besides, he currently averages 6.8 goals per season over five seasons (including this one).

So if he scores 1 more goal this season, in the next 11 games, he will average 7 a season.

So I assume that upon scoring his next goal this season he will qualify for legend status under Jersey Canary criteria?[/quote]

I don''t think Wes has scored 6 league goals this season. He needs to score regularly to be considered a great.

The amazing thing for me is how he has come back after a pretty grim spell under Roeder and Gunn. I''ve heard that when Lambert brought Colchester to Carra for that ill-fated match, he took one look at our teamsheet and told his players that they would run riot down their right as Hoolahan was a stone overweight and couldn''t run. The rest is history...

That also explains why Wes really had to fight his way in Lambo''s plans in the early part of that League One campaign - he almost left but did enough to get back in and has never looked back.

His physical limitations have, at times, been exposed in the Premier League but against sides like Man U and Arsenal when he had space to play he was outstanding. He''s still made a big contribution this season and almost forced Hughton to build the side around him.