Sign in to follow this  
DumbleDelia is Magic

The team I'd play on Saturday

No - I really don''t think McKenzie has anything to offer when he starts games.  I''d play:

Green

Eddie     Doc       Flem        Charlton

Jonson    Safri      Francis    McVeigh/Stuart

Ashton    Hucks

I agree that this is not Hucks'' ideal position, but McKenize''s strength seems to be coming into a game and shaking things up.  If he starts he just runs himself into the ground to little or no effect.

The team I would love to see......

Buffon, Carlos, Nesta, Thuram, Puyol, Zidane, Joachim, Gerrard, Viera, Raul & Henry.

But I will take yours for this Saturday DDim.  The Hux up front edition though please.

GREEN

EDWORTHY     FLEMING       DOHERTY      CHARLTON

JONSON        FRANCIS          HOLT            STUART

ASHTON       HUCKERBY

I agree with you. Same team as West Brom except for Jonson isn''t it?

Green

Edworthy          Doherty          Fleming         Charlton

Holt                         Safri

Francis

Jonson                                          Huckerby

Ashton

i don''t understand this infatuation with Jonson.

How many players have played as much as him this season and not scored (except Green and Edworthy) and he doesn''t look like scoring either.

How many decent crosses/assists has he provided.

How many defensive headers has he failed to make (not just counting Mboro).

Ok, i know he''s the hero of the barclay for playing on with a head injury but why is he first choice for so many. I just can''t see it myself.

And what exactly has Brennan done wrong? When played he''s provided the defensive cover for the left-back where we have been so exposed time and time again.

Maybe Jim needs a bandage.......

[quote]i don''t understand this infatuation with Jonson. How many players have played as much as him this season and not scored (except Green and Edworthy) and he doesn''t look like scoring either. How many...[/quote]

Thats a good point. But we have so many injuries that theres not much alternative

For me it has to be 4-4-2 and to answer FTFW I have Jonson in as he is the best right sided midfielder at the club - not fantastic but better than the alternatives; hardly a ringing endorsement but there you go.

Green

Eddie   Shacks  Charlton  Drury

Jonson  Stuart  Francis    Brennan

Ashton   Hux

Subs

Gallacher, Doc, Safri, McVeigh, Leon

I know that Flem will start in the middle with Doc and charlie on the left but the above is what I would start with; charlie has been our best central defender this season so why waste him on the left; there has not been much difference between charlie and drury at left back, showing its the exposure of left back that is the problem and not the player (hence 4-4-2) - brennan adds some security and he has looked solid lately.

Stuart looked a natural partner for Damo,  Holt shows his willingness brings more to the game than mullers but not enough for the prem really, safri is cover for when tiredness gets to Stuart as I think his passing is better than Holts.  Leon has had enough starts to know that as willing as he is he simply isnt enough of a goal threat.  McVeigh continues to look ok from the bench and gives us an option that Holt would not.

OTBC

[quote]For me it has to be 4-4-2 and to answer FTFW I have Jonson in as he is the best right sided midfielder at the club - not fantastic but better than the alternatives; hardly a ringing endorsement but th...[/quote]

I like the look of your side Zipper, but I would have Crow on the bench in place of McVeigh. 

Like you I know we haven''t got a hope of seeing the Fleming and Doherty partnership being broken up.  I believe they are the real weakness in the side at the moment and cause the majority of problems at the back. It would be nice to see one of them dropped to bring in Shackell, who would undoubtedly improve the defence just by being on the field.

Dave Stringer highlighted the problem in his article about tightening up our defence if we are to survive.  Quite frankly I don''t think Worthy has the balls to admit that Fleming is being outplayed and outpaced every week by the opposition strikers.  Can anyone remember the last time he got near a striker to get an actual tackle in? 

[quote]Thats a good point. But we have so many injuries that theres not much alternative[/quote]

But Brennan''s not injured! I think that was fillet''s point. Why not give the poor bloke a chance! I''d personally like to see Doherty rested - so Brennan left-back, and Charlton reverted to centre to renew his previously solid partnership with Fleming. (anyone else see the correlation between Doc playing at centre-back and the goals we''ve been shipping of late?)

Agree with earlier comments about using Leon as a sub. Huckerby up front could well prove a great link-up for Ashton to finally get into the game for us! Maybe a kind of 4-4-1-1 kind of job.

Spot on Zipper. If we are relegated at the end of the season and Worthy resigns, would you consider applying for the manager''s job?

However, the team on Saturday undoubtedly will be

Green

Eddie  Flem Doc Charlton

Stuart Holt Francis Brennan

Hucks  Ashton

but Stuart for Holt in the middle and Jonson on the right looks a better bet to me. Not a chance of Shackell getting a game now - if he came in and did badly it would be a disaster, if he came in and did well, Worthy would look a fool.

But there''s something to be said for the above team - it''s going to be a tough, physical game and one where a Holt-Francis midfield might not be the worst option.

It''s also, I reckon, almost a bigger game than last week. Can''t see a better chance for an away win. How good will the table look if we win? Lose, and it''s a four-horse race at the bottom.

Come on you yellows.

Massive game on saturday, and with Jonsson not 100% at present the side will be exactly as you have posted Robert - effectively the attempted starting line up for the Baggies game but with Brennan replacing Leon as we revert to 442.

Worthy has surprised us before (dropping drury) but really can''t see either Flem or Doc going the same way: he''ll have the more solid performance at Everton in his mind and that will be the message to the team.

What an afternoon in prospect - again!

[quote]i don''t understand this infatuation with Jonson. How many players have played as much as him this season and not scored (except Green and Edworthy) and he doesn''t look like scoring either. How many...[/quote]

Amen!! At last somebody else has has left the dark-side!Jonson is poor.

I agree with Zip that Jonson is the best we have on offer for right wing until Bentley is fit again.

Also 4-4-2 is the way forward for us now, we have to have a good basic solid formation.

I think Doc and Drury have been better than Flem and Charlie better than any of them so for me it would be:

Green

Eddy         Doc          Charlie        Drury

Jonsson     Francis      Stuart        Brennan

Ashton     Hux

the defence is a real problem. With every one i put out there is a weakness somewhere. Either too slow or just not good enough. I think its time to see what shacks can do

[quote]Greeno Eddy Flem Doc Charlie Jonson Franny Saf Hucks Deano Leon Yay or nay?[/quote]

GREEN

EDWORTHY CHARLTON DOCHERTY DRURY

HOLT

STUART     FRANCIS 

JONSON                               HUCKERBY

ASHTON

SUB - FLEMING, McKENZIE, BRENNAN, SAFRI, GALLAGER  

Reasons,

Charlton for Fleming, despite scoring, Fleming has been poor for a few games, Charlton has more pace to combat Dickov. Play five in midfield, Holt just in front of the back four, this would give slightly more cover than last week, Jonson & Huckerby in wing back rolls, giving width when we have the ball then dropping back to give good cover when Blackburn have possession. This gives defenders more options for passing out of defence, important when playing 1 out & out striker so he doesn''t become isolated 1 v 4 as at villa, for this to work well one of the midfield players has to push up to assist Ashton  maybe Jonson, Francis & Huckerby should alternate in that roll, personally I think a point would be a useful result (3pts would be fantastic) and this team gives a solid look with options on the bench. It would be nice to be able to add Helveg & Bentley into the equation.