Sign in to follow this  
Chunky Norwich

Whittaker?

Does anyone know of any reason as to why Whittaker is not back in the team?Looked sturdy defensively and was a key part of the side that went on that amazing unbeaten run. Has been on the bench for the past 4 or 5 games now and never even looked close to getting back in the team.Is it just down to Cafu''s form or his 3 goals over Christmas?

Martin hasn''t really done anything badly enough to warrant dropping - Whittaker has to fight for that place. Norfolk Cafu''s 3 goals helped him stay in the side - although I do think Whittaker and Snoddy work well together.

The most overrated player in the Club is Garrido. I certainly won''t be sorry if we don''t sign him. Naughton was a better left back.

Garrido does come across on twitter as a really nice guy, so I''m sorry to criticise him but, Whittaker can play anywhere across the back and Russ Martin has to stay in as he offers so much going forwards.

[quote user="RUDOLPH HUCKER"]

The most overrated player in the Club is Garrido. I certainly won''t be sorry if we don''t sign him. Naughton was a better left back.

Garrido does come across on twitter as a really nice guy, so I''m sorry to criticise him but, Whittaker can play anywhere across the back and Russ Martin has to stay in as he offers so much going forwards.

[/quote]When Garrido first arrived here, he looked a tad dubious defensively, but very good coming forward.  I don''t think we have seen his excellent attacking play in a while.

Not quite sure what anyone thinks either what martin has done wrong or what whittaker brings us more of in martins place??

Hughton clearly feels martin is performing and as there is a gnats chuff between their capabilities I too would stick with martin ahead of whittaker currently because he is playing well and is better in the air.

Garrido was poor, no real competition for him could be to blame. Sign him and another left back next season? Have we lost with Whittaker? I think he add a little more than Martin who I believe preforms better as centre back in this league than rb.

I was keeping to the OP. rude

there is no competition for Garrido - he is head and shoulder above all of the options and that we can considering martin (who was poor) and whittaker ( who has only played lb rarely) shows how poorly the true cover in tierney is rightly rated. not that that means he is great - as you have said naughton shows the benchmark as to what a full back should be doing for us.

I dont think Garrido was bad for us today, in fact all the back four performed admirably with the pressure they faced - we conceded 4 goals due to central midfield - BJ was exhausted when he made that half hearted attempt of a tackle on rooney for the 4th by which time kagawa had highlighted howson lack of mobility by losing him from for a bizarre hat trick of negative tracking assists.

Pointing the fingers at either of our full backs today is just misguided - all of our problems were through the middle today, theball was moved around us with veritable ease, - their inability to track, make a tackle (2 players, 4 tackles between them, all by bj in a defensive formation - really!!) or pass effectively - thats where we need to improve most

I think it''s just decent man management by Hughton to give Martin a run in the team despite Whittaker being back to fitness.

Martin is a very decent player for us to have in the squad, he''s been a great servant to the club and we will need to call on him again in the future. Therefore, it''s good management to show a bit of faith in him, shows him that the manager still counts on him.

However, Whittaker is Hughton''s signing and I imagine if you put a gun to his head (bit extreme, I know) he''d pick Whittaker as Whittaker has just that bit more of an idea when in possession.

Why has nobody mentioned that Whittaker is far better defensively than Martin? Stronger and better in the air. Both are good going forward and both link up well with Snoddy.

But for me Whittaker offers much more defensively. Martins defensive work lets him down on occasion, but its his composure in front of goal (apart from today! And thank god hd did miss cause it was never a foul from Holt) that keeps him in the team, as well as his supporting of Snodgrass.

I don''t know if it has any thing to do with a legal dispute with his former club Glasgow Rangers. When Rangers went into administration at the end of last season, Whittaker and several other players "left" as the original Rangers ceased to exist. I haven''t heard if this has been sorted yet.

[quote user="Huckerbys Boots - Matt"]Why has nobody mentioned that Whittaker is far better defensively than Martin? Stronger and better in the air. Both are good going forward and both link up well with Snoddy.

But for me Whittaker offers much more defensively. Martins defensive work lets him down on occasion, but its his composure in front of goal (apart from today! And thank god hd did miss cause it was never a foul from Holt) that keeps him in the team, as well as his supporting of Snodgrass.[/quote]

Totally agree HB - how some on this thread ( who I assume all know a little bit about football) feel or think Martin is consistently a sound right back amazes me. Yes he probably is slightly better in front of goal but his primary job is defending and in my view Whittaker is heads and shoulders above him at this and should be in the side. The only reason why I believe Martin remains in the side is, as stated by another above are his goals around Christmas. We are a better unit defensively with Whittaker in the side and he also provides Snoddy with much greater freedom to do what he is best at, attacking and running at the opposition, than Martin who ( If you watch him at the next game ) constantly berates Snodgrass, to the point he gets totally f''d off with him, to ensure he covers him at right back whilst he disappears into the centre somewhere so he doesn''t have to tackle anyone.

[quote user="Devil''s Advocate."]I don''t know if it has any thing to do with a legal dispute with his former club Glasgow Rangers. When Rangers went into administration at the end of last season, Whittaker and several other players "left" as the original Rangers ceased to exist. I haven''t heard if this has been sorted yet.[

Are you serious?

[quote user="Huckerbys Boots - Matt"][quote user="Devil''s Advocate."]I don''t know if it has any thing to do with a legal dispute with his former club Glasgow Rangers. When Rangers went into administration at the end of last season, Whittaker and several other players "left" as the original Rangers ceased to exist. I haven''t heard if this has been sorted yet.[

Are you serious?[/quote]

Yes !, this link hints at it and I can''t recall there being a solution to it yet. http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18658196