Sign in to follow this  
Pabs

POTs thus far

Definitely Snodgrass and Bassong but then I get stuck with the third. It''s between Johnson and Turner. Earlier on in the season Hoolahan would have been up there but he''s not been quite the same force lately.

[quote user="Lord Horn"]Snodgrass, Bassong then Johnson or Turner[/quote]Agreed.After taking a little bit of time to get used to the league Snodgrass has been such a consistent performer.

1. Bassong by a mile, conceeded one or less goals a game when he has played 90 mins (except swansea). He has gelled with Turner and together they are solid. Absolutely carried us at times, £4mil bargain.2. Snodgrass. Scored 4(?) direct freekicks this season, joint most in a PL season with C. Ronaldo! Has single-handely won us 5 points from scoring the last goal for us in games this season (soton away, swansea away, spurs away). Also has 4 assists, and many more from crosses set pieces.3. Tough one, for me, its Ruddy. Despite getting injured, he has also kept us in so many games this season (Arsenal, Man Utd, QPR home, reading away)

"Also has 4 assists, and many more from crosses set pieces"

Eh? An assist from a set piece is counted as an assist. So that would be 4 assists, including any from set pieces, not 4 assists plus assists from set pieces. Obviously.

[quote user="singupcarrowroad"]"Also has 4 assists, and many more from crosses set pieces" Eh? An assist from a set piece is counted as an assist. So that would be 4 assists, including any from set pieces, not 4 assists plus assists from set pieces. Obviously.[/quote]

I think the point was when Snodgrass puts the ball in dangerously but doesn''t get a direct assist as someone flicks it on and gets the assist. That''s how I read it anyway.

1. Bassong
  2. Snodgrass
  3. Wes/Tettey

Ruddy fit would have pushed for top spot.

1. Bassong

2. Snoddy

3. Johnson

It seems the majority have these three in various orders. It''ll be interesting to see which way it goes at the end of the season.

1 Bassong - Wthout his influence in defence we''d be on the brink of the relegation zone or even worse in my opinion and he has scored some crucial goals. Best defender we have ever had and been consistently excellent in ever game.

2 Snodgrass - He''s been vital in terms of an attacking threat and defensively he does a great job. He''s only below Bassong for me because in my opinion he was very inconsistent. Over the last 2/3 months he''s grown into his role and if he has another 2 and a bit months of this form then it''ll be neck and neck between him and Bassong,

3 Turner - Deserves it for proving all the doubters wrong after being made the scapegoat for the first 7 games. Grown into a rock at the back alongside the beast which is Bassong. Could go to either Wes/Johnson though.

It''s between Bassong and Snoddy for first and second, probably too close to call at the moment.

In third place, I''d go for Wes. It''s instructive to note that at the beginning of the season Hughton (rather like Lambert) didn''t seem to trust Wes. We played 4-4-2, and after five games had three points and were showing relegation form. Wes had started only once, and not come off the bench until the second half of the Liverpool game, when we were already losing 3-0. Back then the crowd was pretty restless with Hughton (how quickly things changed!) and chanted for Wes, and when he came on in the LIverpool game the Barclay and Snakepit chanted "Hallelujah". We "drew the second half" 2-2. As ever, Wes kept showing for the ball, was always an outlet, and we started to play on the ground. From thereon in, Wes was a near fixture, the ball was on the ground much more, and although we lost 4-1 at Chelsea next that score flattered them, the performance was much improved, the next game was the 1-0 win over Arsenal, and we embarked on the 10 match unbeaten run.

And, no, this isn''t an anti Hughton post, in my book it''s hugely to the guy''s credit that he showed some flexibility. But the fact remains that after a poor start our season turned round, not when Bassong came into the team, not when Snoddy came into the team, but when Hughton found a way to accommodate Wes, and he got us playing on the floor a bit more. So, Wes in third place for me.

Snoddy & Bassong definitely in the top two. 3rd will be out of Turner, Johnson or someone who has an amazing last 10 games of the season.