Sign in to follow this  
flecky76

Win at home to Southampton and we go 10th

when was the last time we beat Southapton, tell me that then ?

did we beat them last season ?

did we beat them the season before ?

I rest my case

This is also only on the condition that Stoke don''t get a point at Newcastle. Plus both West Ham and Fulham will have a game i n had.
I like the optimism but it''s unlikely given our record against Southampton.
Davo

"This is also only on the condition that Stoke don''t get a point at Newcastle"

Who they play on the 10th. We play on the 9th. So technically, we will go 10th for 24 hours if we get three points.

[quote user="singupcarrowroad"] Who they play on the 10th. We play on the 9th. So technically, we will go 10th for 24 hours if we get three points.[/quote]
True but this is similar to those posts earlier in the season where people were saying with one more win we could go 7th. That didn''t happen either.
Personally I don''t really look at the table until Monday. I don''t care where we are for a 24 hour period because we have won/lost/drawn whilst those around us are yet to play that weekend.
Davo

We are closer to 10th place than we are to 14th place, and I''m happy with that.

We are as close to 8th place as we are to 18th place, and I''m happy with that.

[quote user="City1st"]

I rest my case

[/quote]

when was the last time we beat Everton before last week?

[quote user="City1st"]

did we beat them last season ? - No - you''re right, we didn''t. I don''t suppose the fact that we were in the PL and they weren''t is really a valid excuse is it?

did we beat them the season before ? - No - again you''re right - however, may I refer the honourable gentleman to the response above?

I rest my case -

[/quote]

City 1st - C''mon, take your tongue out of your cheek! I''ve said it elsewhere, you really shouldn''t be winding up the fretful and nervous posters on this forum - it''s not really a fair contest is it?[:D]

However, on a separate note, I would like to see whether Sky let Le Tissier commentate on that match from the studio - and see his response when we win [:D]

Positions mean nothing it is points that means something, we have a chance to take three points at home against a team who if they were to get three points would be breathing down our neck.

This is a game that we need to be professional but we need to be ruthless. 6pointer and one that can move us to prem survival quickly.

The games that I think will dictate our end of season, Southampton, reading, WBA and villa at home... Wigan away.

Sunderland away could be an interesting one but with the game with Southampton we can really breed some confidence and put a massive dent in southamptons. It is a must win as they will see it that way and will charge around for 90 minutes. We need to be ready and play a great game, no excuses. If our players want premiership football this is one of those games when they show it.

[quote user="smooth"]Positions mean nothing it is points that means something, we have a chance to take three points at home against a team who if they were to get three points would be breathing down our neck. This is a game that we need to be professional but we need to be ruthless. 6pointer and one that can move us to prem survival quickly. The games that I think will dictate our end of season, Southampton, reading, WBA and villa at home... Wigan away. Sunderland away could be an interesting one but with the game with Southampton we can really breed some confidence and put a massive dent in southamptons. It is a must win as they will see it that way and will charge around for 90 minutes. We need to be ready and play a great game, no excuses. If our players want premiership football this is one of those games when they show it.[/quote]

So its 1 up front then?[:S]

[quote user="City1st"]

I rest my case

[/quote]We have a excellent home record against Southampton28 wins 15 draws 12 defeats

Soothampton have had a couple of recent setbacks and it may be their turn for a bit of a wobble. I would be surprised and disappointed if we lost this one, a draw would be no disaster at all

[quote user="Yorkshire Canary"]Soothampton have had a couple of recent setbacks and it may be their turn for a bit of a wobble. I would be surprised and disappointed if we lost this one, a draw would be no disaster at all[/quote]

Who are you? Hughton?

Let''s hope the strategy will be to try and win the match rather than playing for the draw. I hope Hughton goes with two up front with that in mind. As a matter of interest Yorkshire do you think we need to win any of our home games or will three or four home draws be enough in your opinion?

It''s looking more and more like the bottom 4 will struggle to get past 36 points.

[quote user="ricardo"]It''s looking more and more like the bottom 4 will struggle to get past 36 points.
[/quote]

Thats 4 more then we currently have ricardo.

[quote user="Wiz"]

[quote user="ricardo"]It''s looking more and more like the bottom 4 will struggle to get past 36 points.[/quote]

[/quote]Happy to lay you 25-1 that we get more than 4 points Wiz.

[quote user="ricardo"][quote user="Wiz"]

[quote user="ricardo"]It''s looking more and more like the bottom 4 will struggle to get past 36 points.
[/quote]

[/quote]

Happy to lay you 25-1 that we get more than 4 points Wiz.
[/quote]

Okay I''ll take that bet ricardo.

Where do I send my 1p stake money to?[;)]

Quite simply if we draw we maintain the gap, but where we stood out last year was our results against the promoted clubs, 4 wins, and the results against the bottom six.

We have not had good results against them this season. So we need to look at winning them, but a draw is not a bad result.

Either way two upfront and our players should need no motivation this week. Win and we will be on the road to safety. They should want to put a team down and finish the job. If Southampton lost against us and qpr then there confidence will be blown. We really could begin to put them in a relegation scrap.

Highland i think we will win at least a couple of our remaining home fixtires although i dont think we have to which is a seperate matter. 36 points should be enough, last season 37 was enough and the one before that 31 would have kept you up. I fancy us to get another 9 points or so by what ever combination of wins and draws which should see us nicely lower mid table

ouch wiz I cant believe you took that bet.......even though Southampton are decent and there are no easy games in this league that''s very risky to say the least when you weigh up our sesason to date and look at our home record....if it comes off you can give me the lottery numbers.  

Its a game we can win but given we only need 4-6 points from the last 10 games that is comfortably acheivable without us winning another game.   A drw will be a disappointment but will notch another step to safefty.

Fairly sure we will start 442 again on sat.