Sign in to follow this  
Canary02 IV

The Paintball Analogy

Thanks all for some interesting reactions. I''m highly flattered that Mister Chops devoted his Sunday lunchtime to his response.

The consensus seems to be that the paintball part was a bit overcooked which is fair enough.

I would like to reiterate that I''m not anti-Hughton, or a troll, or a binner. I didn''t post just because we lost at Old Trafford. The reason I see us as being so negative is that in winnable home games when we have the crowd behind us and could force the issue against the likes of QPR, Newcastle etc we don''t push forward. The first thought is always to settle for a point. Everton just reinforced that when CH said he would have taken a point but the players had other ideas.

That''s why I regard us as negative, and I don''t think I''m in the minority with that. For some the be-all-and-end-all is the league table and you can say nothing dissenting whilst we sit 17th or better. Personally I think a message board can have different opinions and you can be supportive of the club in some aspects, and have issues you disagree with them on in other aspects and still be a supporter. On here it appears you have to pick a team and either be a " True Supporter/Happy Clappy" or a "Hughton-Outer/Knee-Jerk Troll", which is a pity because by law of averages most people are probably like me, and have a variety of opinions on different subjects. It must be very upsetting to feel the need to tell 50% of people off all the time.

So football supporters are unhappy when their team loses and happy when their team wins.The only thing that surprises me about this is that anybody finds it surprising.

[quote user="Canary02 IV"]Thanks all for some interesting reactions. I''m highly flattered that Mister Chops devoted his Sunday lunchtime to his response.

The consensus seems to be that the paintball part was a bit overcooked which is fair enough.

I would like to reiterate that I''m not anti-Hughton, or a troll, or a binner. I didn''t post just because we lost at Old Trafford. The reason I see us as being so negative is that in winnable home games when we have the crowd behind us and could force the issue against the likes of QPR, Newcastle etc we don''t push forward. The first thought is always to settle for a point. Everton just reinforced that when CH said he would have taken a point but the players had other ideas.

That''s why I regard us as negative, and I don''t think I''m in the minority with that. For some the be-all-and-end-all is the league table and you can say nothing dissenting whilst we sit 17th or better. Personally I think a message board can have different opinions and you can be supportive of the club in some aspects, and have issues you disagree with them on in other aspects and still be a supporter. On here it appears you have to pick a team and either be a " True Supporter/Happy Clappy" or a "Hughton-Outer/Knee-Jerk Troll", which is a pity because by law of averages most people are probably like me, and have a variety of opinions on different subjects. It must be very upsetting to feel the need to tell 50% of people off all the time.[/quote]I type quickly.What I do agree on is that the approach next season, when Hughton has "his" squad in place, does need to be more win-minded - at least at home, if not away from home.  My assumption is that he''s doing his best to grind out results with a system designed to play to his squad''s strengths, or to at least minimise their weaknesses (i.e. make them hard to beat), but once he has his players he will be able to flex the balance between defence and attack as required.If the squad changes but the approach doesn''t, I will fall into the "Hughton outer/troll" category with you.

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="Canary02 IV"]Thanks all for some interesting reactions. I''m highly flattered that Mister Chops devoted his Sunday lunchtime to his response.

That''s why I regard us as negative, and I don''t think I''m in the minority with that. For some the be-all-and-end-all is the league table and you can say nothing dissenting whilst we sit 17th or better. Personally I think a message board can have different opinions and you can be supportive of the club in some aspects, and have issues you disagree with them on in other aspects and still be a supporter. On here it appears you have to pick a team and either be a " True Supporter/Happy Clappy" or a "Hughton-Outer/Knee-Jerk Troll", which is a pity because by law of averages most people are probably like me, and have a variety of opinions on different subjects. It must be very upsetting to feel the need to tell 50% of people off all the time.[/quote]I type quickly.What I do agree on is that the approach next season, when Hughton has "his" squad in place, does need to be more win-minded - at least at home, if not away from home.  My assumption is that he''s doing his best to grind out results with a system designed to play to his squad''s strengths, or to at least minimise their weaknesses (i.e. make them hard to beat), but once he has his players he will be able to flex the balance between defence and attack as required.If the squad changes but the approach doesn''t, I will fall into the "Hughton outer/troll" category with you.[/quote]

Now we''re agreeing and that makes me scared. ;-)

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

OK. Manchester United''s home record over the past five seasons is W78 D6 L6 F234 A71. As far as I''m aware the only bottom half side to win there throughout that time is Blackburn. Don''t you think it''s a tad unrealistic to use your hindsight to measure our performances against that one game out of 90.

[/quote]

Hindsight?!  What hindsight are you talking about. A lame excuse. I was pleased with the 4-5-1 formation we set out.  Just not the way we played it, sitting on our penalty area and never moving up.  We may have set out to play 4-5-1 but we actually played 6-3-1 for 30 minutes then 6-4-0 for 15 minutes.

We played so deep the only way we got the ball out of our half was when Bunn or BJ hoofed it back to their players.  I remember Snod getting the ball a couple of times, just in front of our penalty area on the right.  Because BJ, Martin and Howson did not move forward there was nothing he could do with it.  We just did not move up when we got the ball.  Holt spent the first half with no norwich player within 50 yards of him for most of the time, until the last 15 minutes when he joined the rest of the team in our third of the pitch.

It is one thing to play defensive, this is something else altogether.

In the end it was irrelevant, Man U were always going to win. But it is indicative of the attitude at NCFC now, for better or worse.

I shouldn''t worry too much Canary02 I thought your post was well thought out albeit rather long and I agree with most of it. I think most agree that the football being played this year is not particularly exciting though staying up is really all that matters and next year will be a true reflection of Hughton,s style.

A question for MrC though what happens next year with all the money we will get and we are still playing the same style will you be happy ? Cause I won''t !

[quote user="Firedawg"]I shouldn''t worry too much Canary02 I thought your post was well thought out albeit rather long and I agree with most of it. I think most agree that the football being played this year is not particularly exciting though staying up is really all that matters and next year will be a true reflection of Hughton,s style.

A question for MrC though what happens next year with all the money we will get and we are still playing the same style will you be happy ? Cause I won''t ![/quote]See my post at 6:25pm.  Short answer is "not at home, but maybe away from home."

That is the problem I guess - we will all have lots of moneee ! Not even a little bit more adventurous away from home even against Utd MrC ?

[quote user="Firedawg"]That is the problem I guess - we will all have lots of moneee ! Not even a little bit more adventurous away from home even against Utd MrC ?[/quote]It depends, to be honest.  I''m not one of the believers in the "we should try to win every game" philosophy.  I''m not saying I like us losing or expect us to lose (though I did yesterday) but realistically a point was the best we could hope for against a full strength Man Utd side at Old Trafford. Now, if we went away to somewhere like Southampton or Fulham and set up like that, I would be deeply disappointed.