Sign in to follow this  
Ketts Rebel

4 goals and you still don't sing ! shhhhhhhhh.

Just home from my first trip to Old Trafford.   I''ve heard the rumours before, but the home support is very quiet!

Any theories why this is? Maybe a win becomes so routine it loses its edge?

P.s Our fans were great...

The home support at most grounds has been. Anfield''s supposedly famous atmosphere was absolutely diabolical. The same reasons that the atmosphere at Carrow Road is dead most of the time apply to most of the grounds across the country nowadays, certainly the higher up the leagues you go.

Although, yes, I dare say there is an added element of the fans not being overly bothered about putting 4 past a fairly average lower-mid table side, as it is fairly routine.

I guess it could also be they are not rivals of ours. Maybe there needs to be something at stake to spice it up..promotion or relegation battles for example. I just think it is also the make up of the crowd..alot not being local, or regular attendees. I did feel around the ground there were alot of tourist supporters.. shiney new scarfs and merchadise bags, lots of people taking photo''s of their ''home'' ground.

[quote user="Ketts Rebel"] . I just think it is also the make up of the crowd..alot not being local, or regular attendees. I did feel around the ground there were alot of tourist supporters.. shiney new scarfs and merchadise bags, lots of people taking photo''s of their ''home'' ground.[/quote]

That''s also the case at Anfield - Where the old atmosphere has totally disappeared.   Bums on seats hasn''t helped either - we all kinow when people stand the whole noise increases.   In the old days when they played You''ll Never Walk Alone you couldn''t hear the record for the crowd but now you can''t hear the crowd for the record!

Norwich away support always gives a good vocal account of itself

I was sat near two United fans on the train back and they were discussing how quiet it was. One commented that they''ve been knocking in wins like that for twenty years or more, so it was difficult for the crowd to get ''up for'' it with Madrid around the corner. They then went on to say the whole place would be singing on Tuesday. Not sure that simply expecting to win is a valid excuse not to sing or make some racket but I see where they''re coming from.

Our fans were in good voice though and I especially enjoyed the "you''re wearing our scarves" towards the end, and the tounge-in-cheek "my garden shed."

I liked the gallows humour chant along the lines of "You''re not that good, the Scousers got five". Seemed to go down well with some of their "harder elements". Seriously, tourists visiting the British Library make more noise.

I agree with the comments above

Also I enjoyed the point when we sang "we support our local team", they responded "your team is not very good" (or something like that) and we replied "where were you at Carrow Road ?".  Which comprehensively shut them up !  Shame the home fans didn''t sing a bit more really.

And the "you''re just a ground full of tourists" chant seemed to hit home too.

My guess is that ManU have a lot of fans who follow them really because they win so often.  And that type of fan is not so bothered about singing for their team.