Sign in to follow this  
First Wazzock

Manchester United were flattered by 4-0

Norwich City boss Chris Hughton insists Manchester United were flattered by 4-0 Premier League win.

What should it have been Chris, 3-0 2-0?

With no shots on goal from us it was highly unlikely to be anything else!

You cannot defend for 90 minutes, which pretty much ended up being our approach today.

We suck against the big teams this year, but if he keeps us up it''s job done - and so far so good

"We suck against the big teams this year, but if he keeps us up it''s job done - and so far so good"

Eh? If we say that the current top seven are the big clubs....

THIS YEAR:

Norwich 0-4 Man Utd

Norwich 2-1 Everton

Norwich 1-1 Tottenham

Norwich 0-5 Liverpool

Norwich 3-4 Man City

Norwich 1-1 Everton

Norwich 1-0 Man Utd

Norwich 1-0 Arsenal

Norwich 1-4 Chelsea

Norwich 2-5 Liverpool

Norwich 1-1 Tottenham

LAST YEAR:

Norwich 3-3 Arsenal

Norwich 0-3 Liverpool

Norwich 1-6 Man City

Norwich 2-1 Tottenham

Norwich 2-2 Everton

Norwich 1-2 Man Utd

Norwich 0-0 Chelsea

Norwich 0-2 Tottenham

Norwich 1-1 Everton

Norwich 1-5 Man City

Norwich 1-2 Arsenal

Norwich 1-1 Liverpool

Norwich 0-2 Man Utd

Norwich 1-3 Chelsea

Hughton''s 12 points this season against those clubs is already 150% greater than Lambert''s record against those clubs with 3 games against those clubs to spare, we got 8 points last season from those 14 games.

I get frustrated myself with Hughton''s conservative nature at times, but I stop short at revision of history. Perhaps it was Lambert who "sucked" against the big teams?

In a way Hughton is quite right though. Bunn hardly had a save to make apart from the goals that went in.

Obviously with no shots on target we were going to get 0, but it''s very rare for a side to have 5 or 6 shots on goal and score from 4 of them.

Thirsty Lizard wrote: it''s very rare for a side to have 5 or 6 shots on goal and score from 4 of them.

Man U had 13 shots 10 on target.  The 4 nil scoreline did flatter them, but we gave up when goal number 2 went in.  Not an inspiring day''s football from our point of view, but when the teamsheet showed a Man United first XI, we were always likely to lose.

United had 13 shots to our 1.

10 on target to our 1

A 4-0 scoreline is pretty fair to me.

Sorry.

I do think we will be alright, but I have to admit the style we are playing and the negative stance does worry me.  If we don''t attack we cannot win games.  If you don''t attack you allow teams to dominate. To reduce teams chances you have to make them defend. Attack is the best defence.  We defend doggedly, but we need balance and more go forward in our games.

Just my opinion.

Snake

I went to the match today and I was in the Man Utd end, I was away in China so couldn''t get tickets in the NCFC end and a friend of mine gave me their season tickets as they couldn''t go.

The Man U fans around me were getting frustrated with their players all the way up to the first goal. the story of the game up to that point was the final ball (or lack of it) from both teams. We put in a good pressure approach on Man U that was working until a momentary lapse led to the first goal. Their second goal was a counter attack from a Kamara chance that wouldn''t settle for him (plus Bassong taking an age to turn). At the start of the second half we have a 5/10 minute spell where we were putting in dangerous balls into the box which were defended well by Man U.

The scoreline of 4-0 DOES flatter Man U, forget they had 13 shots to our one (which is a lie, we had more shots [off target mind]). We had a few chances to put the ball into the box in the first half which unfortunately were over hit (main culprit was Bradley Johnson who otherwise had a very good game).

Their last two goals came from us running out of steam which was because we had been pressing them for 75/80 minutes.

Sometimes you have to just remember that we have taken 3 points of Man Utd this season, 3 more than we did last season and also 3 more than the majority of the premier league this season. We weren''t helped by some poor refereeing which led to us getting one foul in the first half (van Persie on Bunn) which led to a long bit of treatment and also curtailed his mobility and kicking for the rest of the game.

My MOM for NCFC was Turner, he made some massive blocks and also headers particularly in the first half and at 4-0 down he made a massive slide to poke the ball away from Welbeck at the back post stopping a certain 5th

The fair result would have been a more reserved 2-0 win for Man U

No, MU were not flattered with a 4-0 win.Sir AF was right - it was a mundane fixture and we were totally mundane (common; ordinary; banal; unimaginative)

Totally agree with JC I also went to the match today and 4-0 totally flattered Man utd .. We should have and deserved to be 0-0 at ht we contained them well. first 10 of 2nd half we had a good spell and could have scored .but . 2nd goal killed us and then we tired last ten. And Rooney scored wonder shot. The players ran their guts out .. 2-0 I think would have been a fairer result. I can not fault hughton or the lads .. But my only slight criticism 1st half we got in good attacking counter attack positions but didn''t commit enough players and attacks broke down. But for effort and closing down we put a real shift in .

[quote user="singupcarrowroad"]"We suck against the big teams this year, but if he keeps us up it''s job done - and so far so good"

Eh? If we say that the current top seven are the big clubs....

THIS YEAR:

Norwich 0-4 Man Utd

Norwich 2-1 Everton

Norwich 1-1 Tottenham

Norwich 0-5 Liverpool

Norwich 3-4 Man City

Norwich 1-1 Everton

Norwich 1-0 Man Utd

Norwich 1-0 Arsenal

Norwich 1-4 Chelsea

Norwich 2-5 Liverpool

Norwich 1-1 Tottenham

LAST YEAR:

Norwich 3-3 Arsenal

Norwich 0-3 Liverpool

Norwich 1-6 Man City

Norwich 2-1 Tottenham

Norwich 2-2 Everton

Norwich 1-2 Man Utd

Norwich 0-0 Chelsea

Norwich 0-2 Tottenham

Norwich 1-1 Everton

Norwich 1-5 Man City

Norwich 1-2 Arsenal

Norwich 1-1 Liverpool

Norwich 0-2 Man Utd

Norwich 1-3 Chelsea

Hughton''s 12 points this season against those clubs is already 150% greater than Lambert''s record against those clubs with 3 games against those clubs to spare, we got 8 points last season from those 14 games.

I get frustrated myself with Hughton''s conservative nature at times, but I stop short at revision of history. Perhaps it was Lambert who "sucked" against the big teams?[/quote]

Difficult to define a ''fair'' result in a football match.

We contained them in the first half and were outdone by a bit of class. Then Man U demonstrated why they''re one of the top teams in Europe. Feel much less bad about this performance than the one against Liverpool.

I assume that quoting my post without adding any of your own words was a sign of you supporting that post, Mister Chops?

[quote user="singupcarrowroad"]I assume that quoting my post without adding any of your own words was a sign of you supporting that post, Mister Chops?[/quote]

Plan A was to get to about 60 minutes playing a deep lying 4-5-1, although better passing from Hooly, Johnson & Howson in the first half meant we made our lives harder than it should have been. We were doing well though, I''ve never heard so little noise from 72,000 tourists in a library before. Then just as we think Plan A has worked, being goalless at half time, a fluky deflection from an ineffectual RVP, falls to Shagawa who shins it past Bunn. But wait surely he was offside. No, RMart was thinking of his halftime cuppa and failed to hold the line.

So Plan B. Hughton changes it to a 4-3-3, Pilks, Holt & Snoddy exchanging positions causing a "bit" of chaos and it really looked like we could get something. RMart skied one to fans disbelief, tho'' MOTD revealed Holt had fouled in build up.

Then Plan C. Special K on and 4-4-2. However before we could mentally adapt, the tiredness allowed ManUre to carve a second. Hughton went for it, substituting on 2 more attacking players. However in hindsight if we had had another Defensive midfielder surely Johnson would have come off. He let Shagawa and Rooney freedom of park for two late goals.

Lessons: ManUre are actually a very good, hard working team, just don''t have the right fans. We passed badly all game. Tettey is still better than Johnson, we really need another of his ilk. Hughton adapted tactics well during the game, we just didn''t have the players today to deliver. The score did flatter them.

[quote user="JC"]I went to the match today and I was in the Man Utd end, I was away in China so couldn''t get tickets in the NCFC end and a friend of mine gave me their season tickets as they couldn''t go. The Man U fans around me were getting frustrated with their players all the way up to the first goal. the story of the game up to that point was the final ball (or lack of it) from both teams. We put in a good pressure approach on Man U that was working until a momentary lapse led to the first goal. Their second goal was a counter attack from a Kamara chance that wouldn''t settle for him (plus Bassong taking an age to turn). At the start of the second half we have a 5/10 minute spell where we were putting in dangerous balls into the box which were defended well by Man U. The scoreline of 4-0 DOES flatter Man U, forget they had 13 shots to our one (which is a lie, we had more shots [off target mind]). We had a few chances to put the ball into the box in the first half which unfortunately were over hit (main culprit was Bradley Johnson who otherwise had a very good game). Their last two goals came from us running out of steam which was because we had been pressing them for 75/80 minutes. Sometimes you have to just remember that we have taken 3 points of Man Utd this season, 3 more than we did last season and also 3 more than the majority of the premier league this season. We weren''t helped by some poor refereeing which led to us getting one foul in the first half (van Persie on Bunn) which led to a long bit of treatment and also curtailed his mobility and kicking for the rest of the game. My MOM for NCFC was Turner, he made some massive blocks and also headers particularly in the first half and at 4-0 down he made a massive slide to poke the ball away from Welbeck at the back post stopping a certain 5th The fair result would have been a more reserved 2-0 win for Man U[/quote]

Having watched the game at the pub, I would agree with this assessment.  If Cafu''s skied shot had levelled it at 1-1 we might have had a more realistic 2-1 or 3-1 defeat on our hands.

No disgrace whatsoever to lose 4-0 to one of the best teams in Europe.

Utd totally controlled the first half - as soon as we conceded all bets were off as to the final score - 4-0 fairly reflects the difference in quality on display yesterday.

Interestingly, highlighted in the programme yesterday, was Utd''s 9-0 victory over our friends down the road - wouldn''t have wanted to beat that record.

I have to concur with my fellow posters who attended the game yesterday in that 4-0 did flatter Man Utd a lot.

1st half we did contain them, and bar the goal (which was poor from our point of view) I can''t remember Bunn making a save.

2nd half we came out and for 10-15 minutes we looked really threatening. There was a definate anxiety around the ground, and if we could have nicked a goal it would have been oh so different.

Hughton made the attacking change to go 4-4-2 and try and grab that point, but this time against the best team in the land it didn''t work and they grabbed a couple of goals when we were out on our feet.

4-0 was very flattering to them, I''m sure any Utd fan at the game would say the same

Great responses on this thread rather than the usual derogatory and insulting ping pong we have to trawl through..........

Anyway, I agree that YES the result did flatter them and as I mentioned elsewhere we were in this match right upto when their second went in and with a little good fortune just prior to that second goal, as is pointed out by a fellow poster, we could have run them much closer.

That all said, there is so much class in that Man U side that there is always somebody who pops up with a match winning performance. 

Yes 4-0 was massively flattering for them.  If we''d held out until halftime rather than conceding a rather soft goal in injury time...

And for the first 20 minutes of the 2nd half I thought we looked more likely to score.  The trouble is that against ManU you''ve got to take the chances you get.  If we''d got an equalizer, anything could have happened, it would have rocked them and we could easily have held out.

Problem is, when you go forward against ManU, they are so good at the counter-attack, and as soon as they got the second goal it punctured us. We kept on trying though, just without much conviction, which was why we left ourselves open for them to get the 3rd, and the 4th was just the sort of goal Rooney scores when he''s relaxed and has a go.

Also I agree about the comments on the ref - we got nothing from him in the first half, and not much in the second.  Not that it affected the result.  According to the Sunday Times match report, when Cafu skyed over his chance, the ref had already given a free kick to them.  If that''s right and it had gone in and been disallowed, that would be a different matter !

[quote user="Its Character Forming"]Also I agree about the comments on the ref - we got nothing from him in the first half, and not much in the second.  Not that it affected the result.  According to the Sunday Times match report, when Cafu skyed over his chance, the ref had already given a free kick to them.  If that''s right and it had gone in and been disallowed, that would be a different matter ![/quote]

If you look at the cross Holt clearly has both hands pushing down on Evras shoulders - so the ref was right to give a free kick.

Cafu putting it over the bar saved holts blushes - as he had already beaten evra for teh ball and did not need a helping hand or two!

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"][quote user="Its Character Forming"]Also I agree about the comments on the ref - we got nothing from him in the first half, and not much in the second.  Not that it affected the result.  According to the Sunday Times match report, when Cafu skyed over his chance, the ref had already given a free kick to them.  If that''s right and it had gone in and been disallowed, that would be a different matter ![/quote] If you look at the cross Holt clearly has both hands pushing down on Evras shoulders - so the ref was right to give a free kick. Cafu putting it over the bar saved holts blushes - as he had already beaten evra for teh ball and did not need a helping hand or two![/quote]

While it''s over and done with, Zipper, I don''t think Holt would have had to blush. If you look at the what happened frame by frame ( the referee does not have that benefit of course ) then Holt rose to the ball without any contact with the defender. Evra, being the clever player that he is, pushes his body back into Holt, who reacts instinctively to avoid being upended. Clever play by Evra.

Was also in the home end and agree with comments here. 4-0 really flattered Man U. The lack of attack is a concern but until 1st half injury time I was pleased, my Man U plastic GF was worried and the fans all around were rather miffed!! Lots of comments about what a well organised, big team we were. "God it''s like trying to penetrate 11 pieces of mobile concrete" was a favorite.

4-0 is Man Utd''s biggest win this season - they have done this three times, once against us of course and twice against Wigan. It was a good thing that the game finished when it did otherwise we would have quickly conceded more goals. We expended so much effort and concentration in first 75 minutes we just couldn''t maintain it. I wasn''t unhappy at 2-0 down and then by the end I was willing the ref to blow the whistle. So, IMO 4-0 did not flatter Man Utd. That having been said, we didn''t expect anything from the game and my guess is that Hughton and the players are already focused upon Southampton, a game we do expect something from - 3 points.

YC, that''s very interesting. That''s exactly what I thought happened to Holt, though I was watching on an iffy stream so couldn''t be sure.

I also read somewhere that Martin was being impeded/obstructed when he missed the resulting shot; have you been able to see it in slo-mo? If so, what''s your opinion?

I don''t believe it would have changed the result for a second, but a penalty would have been nice!

[quote user="Wirecanary"]Totally agree with JC I also went to the match today and 4-0 totally flattered Man utd .. We should have and deserved to be 0-0 at ht we contained them well.[/quote]How can you deserve to be 0-0 at half time when the opposition scores a goal? Surely the very fact that you have conceded a goal means that you didn''t deserve to keep a clean sheet.

[quote user="YankeeCanary"]

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"][quote user="Its Character Forming"]Also I agree about the comments on the ref - we got nothing from him in the first half, and not much in the second.  Not that it affected the result.  According to the Sunday Times match report, when Cafu skyed over his chance, the ref had already given a free kick to them.  If that''s right and it had gone in and been disallowed, that would be a different matter ![/quote] If you look at the cross Holt clearly has both hands pushing down on Evras shoulders - so the ref was right to give a free kick. Cafu putting it over the bar saved holts blushes - as he had already beaten evra for teh ball and did not need a helping hand or two![/quote]

While it''s over and done with, Zipper, I don''t think Holt would have had to blush. If you look at the what happened frame by frame ( the referee does not have that benefit of course ) then Holt rose to the ball without any contact with the defender. Evra, being the clever player that he is, pushes his body back into Holt, who reacts instinctively to avoid being upended. Clever play by Evra.

[/quote]

That''s the way it looked to me too...

[quote user="ron obvious"]YC, that''s very interesting. That''s exactly what I thought happened to Holt, though I was watching on an iffy stream so couldn''t be sure. I also read somewhere that Martin was being impeded/obstructed when he missed the resulting shot; have you been able to see it in slo-mo? If so, what''s your opinion? I don''t believe it would have changed the result for a second, but a penalty would have been nice![/quote]

Sorry for not responding earlier Ron, I''ve been out enjoying the Florida sunshine and hitting some golf balls but, in any event, I did not look at the Martin attempt in slow motion. My clear impression was that the contact was fair and a penalty call would have been harsh. Further, if it had been called, SAF''s skin colour would have gone several shades of deeper purple, a real risk to his health. We can''t have that now, can we.

"4-0 is Man Utd''s biggest win this season - they have done this three times, once against us of course and twice against Wigan"

But it is the 9th time that they have scored four or more goals this season, and the 11th time they have kept a clean sheet, for another perspective on our defensive and attacking failings.