Sign in to follow this  
Bert sneakers

Poor Lambert and the bigger club

[quote user="Bert sneakers"]And long may it continue. Man city winning 0-1 .[/quote]

If not for the keeper they could be mnus 50.

I hope this game is followed by 2 successive draws and a thumping by Liverpool, would do us a turn and put them right in the turd.

I''m not bitter just gloating slightly.

Ended 0-1, could have been more but Man City didn''t seem at it tonight. Even so, 20 shots on target plus hit post twice. Villa full of running but little else.

Would n''t speak too soon I were you - may come back to haunt you! Courageous performance by AV tonight, looked much more of a threat against Man City than we did. Can really see that PL is putting his stamp on this young side.

[quote user="Derby Canary"]Would n''t speak too soon I were you - may come back to haunt you! Courageous performance by AV tonight, looked much more of a threat against Man City than we did. Can really see that PL is putting his stamp on this young side.[/quote]

What game were you watching? I can''t remember Hart making a save. We knocked 3 past that lot

[quote user="Derby Canary"]Would n''t speak too soon I were you - may come back to haunt you! Courageous performance by AV tonight, looked much more of a threat against Man City than we did. Can really see that PL is putting his stamp on this young side.[/quote]We however scored 3 times against them whilst an old woman in a deck chair could have kept a clean sheet for Man City tonight.

I agree, Ricardo. A lot of huffing and puffing by Villa but precious few chances at the end of it all. They''ll be missing Delph for the next 3 matches as well after his 10th yellow card.

Don''t know where Derby was, but we put in a really good show against Man C; but for crap reffing (their second) and bad luck (Bunn og), we''d have had a deserved something fom the game. Meanwhile they barely got properly going tonight but were rarely threatened.

I do think people need to stop bleeting on about Lambert so much.

Aston Villa are in many ways a ''bigger'' club. So he did move to a bigger club. The fact that they are a failing bigger club is something else altogether.

A good argument would be that they were a club in decline but then Lambert came to us in similar circumstances and turned us around, albeit at a lower level.

I don''t have any ill thought towards him or Villa. In many ways I really hope they don''t go down as I could see them going totally to pot. Yet another long established premiership side falls to the lure of the wealthy foreign businessman.

There is not quite the same arrogance about them as QPR who appear to think they can just throw money at a problem until it goes away. Having said that the win at the weekend has set them up nicely to try and make a go at it for the last ten games.

I think two wins and we are comfortable. But saying that - if we get to 8 games left with the same points gap or better I can''t see any of them catching up. They''d have to seriously improve on 1pt a game which none of them look like doing.

1''m not too sure if this of much concern to us.

If there is any talk of making up 8 points then it has to be about us catching West Brom and/or Swansea

We have also got to be mindful of fighting for 10th place as a minimum, if the above two do not start dropping points at a regular pace.

They play each other Saturday so a win for us will see us gaining ground whatever the reult

Onwards and upwards

I thought Villa played very well and were really fighting for Lambert. I think they have enough to claw their way to safety but I hope not as I don''t fancy playing them next season!

I think it''s between Villa and Wigan to go down - Southampton have a lot of players that can win a game, Wigan and Villa are a bit lifeless despite all the effort. I think Newcastle, Sunderland and us have enough to stay up comfortably over the next 10 games.

((I don''t have any ill thought towards him or Villa. In many ways I really hope they don''t go down as I could see them going totally to pot. Yet another long established premiership side falls to the lure of the wealthy foreign businessman.))

On that paragraph alone Chicken, do you not think that for the greater good of football, it may take for someone like Villa to go down in this day and age, and crumble, for football to wake up and realise that business models need to be restructured and evaluated?

I would be surprised if, out of QPR, Villa, Reading and Wigan , two of those reach the amount of points we are on now! They are pretty much all playing each other or playing the big clubs! They have 20/23/24 points after 28 games. Not sure why they should suddenly get a higher ratio..although I feel QPR might have a little run.

If we can get three points at home to reading and Southampton we will be safe. As someone earlier said, we should be looking at teams above us seeing if we can catch them. Stoke, FUlham etc are no better than us.

OTBC

It would be a twist in the tale wouldn''t it? I''d personally have a giggle at the way it panned out, but feel for Lambert after what he did here. McNally etc would probably lean out of the director''s box fist pumping like nutters!

If on May the 4th we send them down I will be very delighted, not because of Lambert, but because of those loud mouthed Villa fans, along with my Brothers have been giving me S~~~~~t all season long, unfortunatlly my family are split between Villa B-ham and West-Brom, I am called the Defector, even though I turned to Norwich early 1964, who ever said Brummies don''t bear grudges are liars. but I never lose any sleep over it LOL 

I fancy it may go the other way. We could well be safe by then and AV could be in a must win situation. If this were the case, I wouldn''t count out a barnstorming Villa performance (and they are capable of these) and a 0-2 or 0-3. Hope I''m wrong.

Would it be fair to say Lambert is under less pressure at Villa, despite where they are in the table-and I think they''ll stay up, maybe everyone at Villa shares the view?-than he would have been here, were we in their position right now?

It would say a lot about our expectations if we were putting the heat on the Manager  because we were third bottom and unable to win games where-as they are now and he seems, still, to have a lot of support from their fans.

I''ve no idea whether he is under less pressure but judging buy what you can see, the red blotchy  and often bloated face, the glassy eyes and increasingly Paul Jewell hair, he looks like a man under a lot of pressure.  He does not look happy nor does he look well.   It is unlikely that he has been under such negative pressure since Livingston given the stability and success he has had in the rest of his managerial career.

I think if he were still here, there would be general support even if we were in deep trouble not least because we would know that he could have left for a bigger club but chose to stay. 

I want Vill relegated, not because of The Holy One, but because of their mouthy, arrogant fans.

Lambert? I''d have him back here in a heartbeat.

I would still feel some "revenge" if AV were to go down..."serves you right Lambert!" Then again, I just want one club to go down really QP@Rse!

Like most City fans I appreciate what PL did for us and he will go down as one of the great managers we had in recent times...

[quote user="Wiz"]

mouthy, arrogant fans.

[/quote]Isn''t that your middle name Wiz...? lol

Let''s just remember that it took Lambert just 2 seasons to establish us as worthy Premiership class, and that was a bloody quick turnaround! The guy is no fool.

He has an incredible knack of turning games round in the final minutes, and i''m willing to bet he''ll do the same for Villa''s season.

Let''s be proud of his Norwich background and wish him well, eh? For me, he promotes everything that i enjoy about the beautiful game.

Do people really want to see Wigan, West Ham, Stoke etc. as premiership survival role models?!

"judging buy what you can see, the red blotchy and often bloated face, the glassy eyes and increasingly Paul Jewell hair, he looks like a man under a lot of pressure"

I''d noticed that as well. He used to look a lean, mean prowler on the touchline, but I do wonder whether that bottle he keeps swigging contains a different recipe these days.

I too thought that he had deteriorated in appearance, but we all age. He always looked a picture of health whilst in Norfolk despite a diet of deep fried chocolate in his formative years. The only sign of the Grim Reaper''s presence whilst at NCFC was his eventual need to use spectacles.

I''m worried about Paul.

If he/they do survive this season it will be another major feather in his cap, IMO, and he will have won over all those dissenters in the Holte End as well. 

I also feel that Villa have the basis of a very good team there and if they do sneak it, and with time to address the obvious weaknesses in the Summer, they will almost certainly be a much stronger Premiership force next season. If they go down and lose a few of the better players (especially Benteke) they could well be chumps for some time to come and Lambo would likely get the "an yer boike" treatment sooner rather than later.

I, along with most Villa fans, it seems, am cautiously reserving judgement as to whether PL is or is not doing a good job there. He''s a wiley customer for sure, and we found that out to our great benefit.

I''ve certainly no desire to see them go down-I''ll be happy enough for us to finish above them, indeed, if anything, that-us finishing above them in the league but both clubs staying put-would give me more satisfaction than seeing them go down. I just want us to stay up and push on next season, ambitions wise, players wise and, I hope, tactically wise as I am sure we will-and, as BroadstairsR said, Villa will as well.

Whoever goes down doesn''t really worry me-the exception being that I would like to see QPR be one of them...oh, OK, there''s another, for West Ham to slump pitifully and join them!

On last nights performance and having seen them a few other times live this season I would be surprised if Villa go down, they DO have match winners in their side in Agbonlahor and Bentiker, plenty of other very decent players and loads of spirit. For us, keeping out of the relegation battle is in our own hands as,other than perhaps Reading (although they too are better than many are making out), all of the teams below and around us are very capable of putting a decent run together, and starting Saturday agains a decent Southampton side we need to deliver. 

You lot are having a Laugh, if you Dont want Villa relegated, because if they do stay up, Next season there Vibrant young squad, would have got a bit more Premiership Know-how under their belt, lambert will have a bigger purse to look into, they will be able to Attract more over-seas players, and do we want to see his smug face again, like we did in the Cup!!