Sign in to follow this  
Tim Dawson

Seats at Old Trafford

I am amazed that no-one else has commented on this, but as a veteran of 71 league grounds i have to say that i was appalled at the lack of legroom yesterday, we were sitting directly in line with the corner flag, now im 6"0 tall and my two boys a bit shorter but in no way could we find anywhere to put our legs.

And what really galls me is we are at supposedly at one of the best grounds in the country paying top dollar, last season was a nightmare to get tickets in our end but not this year, now im starting to wonder why.

Anyway rant over, did anyone else think the same or am i alone ??

My son, 8yo, 1.35m banged his shins, so for those not used to "sitting" at away games I can see the lack of leg room being an issue. Indeed why weren''t we allowed to stand, the take was steep enough for young ''uns to see for once.

I am 6 foot 5 - couldn''t physically fit in my seat. Amazed the seats are allowed. Had to either stand or perch all game. Sums up Old Trafford - pack as many in as possible. All about maximising revenue. True Man U fans must feel the heart of the club is gone.

[quote user="Dicky"]I am 6 foot 5 - couldn''t physically fit in my seat. Amazed the seats are allowed. Had to either stand or perch all game. Sums up Old Trafford - pack as many in as possible. All about maximising revenue. True Man U fans must feel the heart of the club is gone.[/quote]

appalling seats aside the whole ''Old Trafford experience'' left me feeling cold. Everything that''s wrong about football exists at Manchester Utd.

My first trip to Old Trafford was in the early 90''s, just prior to the beginning of the Premiership and what was to become the Ferguson dynsasty since. They would get gates of 45-50000 and there was still terracing on the Stretford End,I suppose this was the very back end of the days when Man Utd was a club for Mancunians. In the early days of the Premier Lge the running joke was that their fans came from all over the country but every time I''ve been there since ,it''s now more of a question of which country theyve flown in from for the weekend?

Now from the sickeningly tacky ''souveniors'' on sale outside the ground to the tourists taking photos of anything and evrything, the club has developed into something quite grotesque.

Inside the ground its difficult to imagine how little noise 75000 people can make, doubtless because of a high proportion of these day trippers.

Its difficult to pick out within the ground exactly where the ''die hard'' old Manchester fans are situated but whilst they will of course enjoy there clubs success if theyre being honest sometimes must look around and scratch their heads at the ''international fan club'' thieir club has become and wish it was as it used to be?

I sat in the south stand right by the entrance tunnel. I think it was down as a ''cat 2'' section? So not the posh seats but not bad. Didn''t notice anything out of the ordinary with the leg room. The home fans however... But that''s for a different thread.

Agree with the OP absolutely, I follow City to most away games and the leg room at Old Trafford was easily the worst and the most uncomfortable I have ever had to endure.  Fortunately we were standing most of the game.

Also it is amazing that 75,000 people can be packed into a ground and a few thousand away supporters can make more noise even when the home side is winning.  Truly embarassing.

It was reminiscent for me of the away section at the Leicester stadium but the seats were much less comfortable and there was far less atmosphere from the home fans !

Agree, I''m 6 foot tall with long legs and it was impossible to sit in a normal fashion.  As the stewards were enforcing a no standing policy this made it bloody uncomfortable.  The whole experience was flat compared to other "big" Premier grounds, no comparison with Anfield, and Man City felt much more of an event too.  Gap around the pitch is massive at Old Trafford which seemed to really affect the atmosphere, and the fans were waiting for Madrid (to give them a footballing lesson hopefully!) .  Also, the announcer repeatedly saying "Welcome to the home of the Worlds Best Football Team" was pretty unecesary and grating.  Lots more new scarves and posing for photos going on too.Also the five seats next to me were taken by Manc fans, saw them texting "we are 1 nil up and they attacking us next half; sick!".  They were harmless enough but took seats from some NCFC fans, god knows how the club sold them tickets.Glad I don''t have that as my regular ground, a handful of important games each season, and apart from that a pretty souless day out with an hour queue to get out afterwards.

I''d love to agree with you Character Forming and I was telling my girlfriend before the game that she was going to hear some great singing from the Norwich fans. However we were sat near the Stretford end (loud when they want to be) and heard hardly anything from the away fans. The prawn sandwich brigand were in evidence with lots of quiet moments but no one would claim to have been blown away by the noise of the away support. Maybe it''s just the acoustics of the ground....

[quote user="Sly Dog"]I''d love to agree with you Character Forming and I was telling my girlfriend before the game that she was going to hear some great singing from the Norwich fans. However we were sat near the Stretford end (loud when they want to be) and heard hardly anything from the away fans. The prawn sandwich brigand were in evidence with lots of quiet moments but no one would claim to have been blown away by the noise of the away support. Maybe it''s just the acoustics of the ground....[/quote]

Hmm like you say, maybe it is the ground acoustics.  Did the ManU fans at that end sing at all ?  From our end, aside from hearing them cheer when the goals went in, there were only a couple of points when anything was audible from the far end of the ground, one of which was them (I think) having a go at Snoddy as an ex-Leeds player. 

Not great for leg room but certainly not the worst I''ve come across.

Palace is always a bit of a squeeze but the worst I have come across was Elland road, I was sat in that corner bit in our league 1 match. Couldn''t hardly get my legs in and I am only 5"10

Thinking back to Elland Road, I can''t honestly remember using my seat at any point, so you could well be right.

I still remember the gutted feeling when Fraser Forster fluffed that own goal right at the death and gave them a late win.

The year after I thought we were going to get the win but for a superb finish by Becchio...

[quote user="Sly Dog"]I''d love to agree with you Character Forming and I was telling my girlfriend before the game that she was going to hear some great singing from the Norwich fans. However we were sat near the Stretford end (loud when they want to be) and heard hardly anything from the away fans. The prawn sandwich brigand were in evidence with lots of quiet moments but no one would claim to have been blown away by the noise of the away support. Maybe it''s just the acoustics of the ground....[/quote]

Watched on the TV in the pub and all you could hear were Norwich fans - don''t think I heard Utd sing once!  Bit different to the 1970s/80s!

[quote user="Its Character Forming"]

Thinking back to Elland Road, I can''t honestly remember using my seat at any point, so you could well be right.

I still remember the gutted feeling when Fraser Forster fluffed that own goal right at the death and gave them a late win.

The year after I thought we were going to get the win but for a superb finish by Becchio...

[/quote]

I meant goal kick by FF, oh for an edit button.

Thanks Lord H !

I don''t post a lot as you can see but Saturday was a joke.

Having been to loads of grounds and being 6ft + legroom is usually tight but I can at least sit in my seat unlike Saturday. Don''t get me wrong, if I''m asked to sit I will, but when you physically can''t get in and to be threatened to be chucked out took the...

So I sent an email to Man U and to be fair they said they wanted my seat number to investigate. As it seems many have had the same issues I''d do the same, cause even the young lad next to me was struggling to sit comfy.

Thats interesting JJ id like to know how you get on as i was the same i literally couldnt sit in my seat, nor my sons at 5"10 and 5"6 respectively.

Just heard back from them again, and although the seats were in line with the Green Guide conditions, the maintance team admitted that the seat was tight and would look to make small changes before the next game there.

It made a nice change for a club to work so effectively in response to my original email!

Unlike NCFC who im still yet to hear from.