Sign in to follow this  
SYG

Gary Hooper...

I hope we do not go back in for this guy.

I was largely against spending £6million plus on him during January. Now watching him tonight (fair enough, it''s against Juve) he doesn''t even look worth half of the estimated bids we put in for him.

Lazy, no skill, no idea of who''s around him (see the goal)

Its a Norwich thing that says your main forward who scores all your goals has to be your best defender as well or he is c**p. Not that I disagree that £6m is to much I just fear for whoever the guy is brought in to take us forward as he wont be given a chance because of this strange attitude that a forward is rubbish unless he chases the ball everywhere.

A poor man''s Jamie Cureton if I ever did see one. Thank Christ old MacNally stopped Houghton spunking ten million on this clown. Robert Rosario in miniature form.

[quote user="SYG"]I hope we do not go back in for this guy.

I was largely against spending £6million plus on him during January. Now watching him tonight (fair enough, it''s against Juve) he doesn''t even look worth half of the estimated bids we put in for him.

Lazy, no skill, no idea of who''s around him (see the goal)[/quote]
Glad you have bought up his laziness. I made reference to it at the start of the season when his name popped up. I have only seen him a handful of games, but his work rate struck me as similar to Morrison, I do not expect that would please the Norwich fans if he became a club record purchase.

[quote user="Bor Bor Bor"]A poor man''s Jamie Cureton if I ever did see one. Thank Christ old MacNally stopped Houghton spunking ten million on this clown. Robert Rosario in miniature form.[/quote]

What''s your evidence for this? I''ve never heard it mentioned that McNally refused to allow Hughton to buy Hooper

Worth bearing in mind that Juve''s defence is probably slightly better than that of Wigan et al.

I do believe he''d be a decent signing for the right price; but that price wouldn''t be anything over 5 million.

I did make the point of him playing Juve, but that shouldn''t change his work rate or what he does while on the ball, and tonight he was very poor with both...

[quote user="SYG"]I did make the point of him playing Juve, but that shouldn''t change his work rate or what he does while on the ball, and tonight he was very poor with both...[/quote]

Scottish league football, Make him look good, He is playing on a level par with League 1, No way is he worth more than any player we have already,

How many League One strikers would score 4 goals in 10 games in the Champions League?

Admittedly he looks a bit off form, maybe because he''s had his head turned, but he was on fire until January.

And even since going off form he still has six goals in six weeks.

I''ve seen every one of his goals this season and I can tell you that he would be the best finisher that we have at the club if he arrives.

That doesn''t mean much if we don''t make chances for him, and perhaps with that in mind he wouldn''t be a good purchase if Hughton want''s to persist with the 4-5-1, but I''d love to see the bloke in a 4-4-2 up front with Holt or Becchio personally.

I don''t know how people can label him as a ''League 1 striker'' considering he scored 19 goals in 35 games for Scunthorpe in the Championship.

We need to remember that this bloke is only just 25, still got the best years ahead of him. Personally I think he''d be £6m well spent.

How confident and motivated did you expect Celtic players to look tonight? That needed to win 4-0 away at the Serie A leaders, it wasn''t ever really going to be likely was it?

We NEED to be aiming higher than him come next season.

If we sign him along with a quality forward then fair enough, but if he is our ''big striker signing'' in the summer I will be so so disappointed...

On tonight''s showing that''s 6 mill we saved as really i don''t rate him, ever since we bid for him hes done nothing. So im glad we didnt get him and save ourselves a lot of money for August window.

"ever since we bid for him hes done nothing"

Six goals + won a penalty and got a man sent off, in the six weeks since we bid for him.

Against teams no better than League 1, why don''t people understand that.

Chris Martin would score 20 odd goals a season in the SPL

I can remember people rubbishing Henrik Larsson for the same reasons, saying that he would never cut it in the Premier League. Ended up going to Barcelona and winning the Champions League.

Sutton, Jelavic, Robbie Keane, Craig Bellamy, Diouf, there is a long list of very good strikers who have played for Celtic.

You say "why don''t people understand that", I''m pretty sure that people do understand that the SPL is a pretty poor standard. I''m pretty sure that people also understand that there are very good players in the SPL, just like there have been good players in League One.

Grant Holt and Wes Hoolahan are two current Premier League players to play in League One, Robert Snodgrass, Lucciano Becchio, Bradley Johnson, and Johnny Howson are four more. Adam Lallana and Rickie Lambert are two more.

You are the one with the simpletons argument who thinks that we can buy a player for £6m who is good enough to look good against the best team in Italy, a team who are above Inter Milan in the league table, when the going rate for Jay Rodriquez is £7m and the going rate for Jordan Rhodes (League 1 player?) is £8m.

Who exactly is it that you would buy for £6m? You don''t seem too full of suggestions, go on then... name names.

Jelavic was from Rangers, and he has been on fire this season, not! Looked very poor.

You cannot compare HL to Hooper, he was an international player who scored at world cups/euros, a total different player.

As to who I would spend that "£6m" I really do not know, but I for one hope it''s not spent on Hooper

Which current Norwich players would stand out as good enough to share grass with that Juventus team?

Hoolahan would perhaps look technically good enough without any real impact, Pirlo would potentially make him look like an amateur.

Bassong would look like a clumsy oaf like Ambrose (who is actually wanted by Liverpool).

Perhaps Garrido would look good enough for their reserve team.

If you think Bradley Johnson''s passing is bad now then see how back it is when he''s five meters away from Pirlo.

Their defence would show exactly why playing him against Italy in the 2012 Euro''s would have been an absolutely terrible idea.

I''d suggest that the only one capable of showing themselves as European class is John Ruddy, but he isn''t exactly a Buffon.

Yes we have to aim high, but we have to be realistic. Celtic were playing a team about as good as the one that we lost 4-0 to on Saturday.

"Jelavic was from Rangers"

Only five minutes late with that, I corrected my mistake.

"You cannot compare HL to Hooper"

Yes I can.

"he was an international player who scored at world cups/euros"

So is Samaras, Hooper plays more than him and scores more than him

"As to who I would spend that "£6m" I really do not know, but I for one hope it''s not spent on Hooper"

Exactly, absolutely zero ideas. The pinkun equivalent of Ed Miliband. You rubbish every idea but have no ideas of your own.

I think Hooper was the player viewed, as with his form, a good opportunist signing in January. I very much doubt with the cash injection he''ll be our top target in the summer if we stay up.

Hopefully Becchio will prove his worth in time too

It was the expression on Lennon''s face that I liked the most - knowing they were dumped out of the CL and then, on the best showcase for league football in the world - seeing Hooper under performing - with his resale value taking a nosedive.

Now if he was really clever, he would have sold Hooper to us and loaned him straight back again - the value of the sale and duration of the loan being determined by Celtic''s longevity in the CL. Fortunately for us, that scenario didn''t materialise.

Hooper''s resale value would always have decreased, in the summer he has one year left on his deal.

Pretty sure that a couple of million is no sweat to Celtic: http://fcbusiness.co.uk/news/article/newsitem=2258/title=champions+league+revenue+boost+for+celtic

Already debt free, turnover up 71% this season, guarenteed title winners and Champions league for five or six years.

Boo hoo.

[quote user="singupcarrowroad"]I can remember people rubbishing Henrik Larsson for the same reasons, saying that he would never cut it in the Premier League. Ended up going to Barcelona and winning the Champions League. Sutton, Jelavic, Robbie Keane, Craig Bellamy, Diouf, there is a long list of very good strikers who have played for Celtic. You say "why don''t people understand that", I''m pretty sure that people do understand that the SPL is a pretty poor standard. I''m pretty sure that people also understand that there are very good players in the SPL, just like there have been good players in League One. Grant Holt and Wes Hoolahan are two current Premier League players to play in League One, Robert Snodgrass, Lucciano Becchio, Bradley Johnson, and Johnny Howson are four more. Adam Lallana and Rickie Lambert are two more. You are the one with the simpletons argument who thinks that we can buy a player for £6m who is good enough to look good against the best team in Italy, a team who are above Inter Milan in the league table, when the going rate for Jay Rodriquez is £7m and the going rate for Jordan Rhodes (League 1 player?) is £8m. Who exactly is it that you would buy for £6m? You don''t seem too full of suggestions, go on then... name names.[/quote]

Whats up? are you his relation or something, no offence but the guy is Pants, And I say again its only the Scottish football that makes him look good

I think singupcarrowroad has a crush on Hooper, won''t let a bad word be said about him.

The guy is not good enough, the majority of posters agree...