Sign in to follow this  
Pete Raven

Surman out for the season

Reports our Paddy from today''s press conference. Had a minor knee ligament op.Tettey also still a few weeks away.

Can I be the first to say, thanks for all your hard work for Norwich Andrew and best of luck for the rest of your career.

One of the best bits of business the club did last year, extending Surman''s contract.  How many more operations can we fit in to it?

Two missing from oyr midfield options whatever folks opinions of them are

Players like Johnson looked all in last week, we can''t keep flogging the same players to death

YC: Well in my opinion when PIlkington have had one of those days when he doesnt seem to be on the field and we cant get forward Andrew Surman would be better option than Elliot Bennet in left wing.

Surman has good passes and he know what "pass and move" means which could be teached for some of our middlefielders ^^

Dont know if he would fit Hughtons tactics, but he would give some variety and ball confidence and we wouldn''t be so dependant of Hoolahan and Snoddy to make all of our plays. In quality he is no worse than Howson I would say. He just lacks pace which seems to irritate people ^^

What comes to Tettey in my opinion he was one of the key''s of that 10 game unbeaten run. His closing up is so much effective than Johnson''s and he has energy to do it and go forward for whole 90 minutes. Most of the games he have made Johnson look very good as he gives him time to get in right places.

Ofc same goes another way too and Johnson''s strenght and calmer approach to the game gives Tettey chance to overplay some situation and get out of it.

But at the end we have good players and I hope Hughton can carve a tactic that we wont notice difference ^^

Will we see him in a Norwich shirt again? I have my doubts, as I''d expect another midfielder or two to arrive in the summer, and we can probably add Korey Smith and Jacob Butterfield to the list of people looking for games next season.

You''ve just mentioned three we''ll never see in City shirts again. Would rather play with ten men than play pansy Surman. And as for Howson ...

[quote user="singupcarrowroad"]Will we see him in a Norwich shirt again? I have my doubts, as I''d expect another midfielder or two to arrive in the summer, and we can probably add Korey Smith and Jacob Butterfield to the list of people looking for games next season.[/quote]

Do you mean you see Smith and Butterfield looking for games here which would make it harder for Surman to get playing time?

Or do you mean Smith and Butterfield will be looking for games elsewhere (as Surman might be)?

I wouldnt be so sure neither Butterfield and Surman are gone next season :)

Lot depends ofc who we bring next summer, but as said Surman is useful player and Butterfield is kind a only one who can really replace Hoolahan from our current squad. Howson for me isnt really 10.

If we do like most people here cry and bring one qualty forward with 5-12 millions it will mean we cant really afford so many more with proven quality.

I''m quite sure Hughton will find another deep middlefielder and at least one fullback.

If players like Barnett, Jackson, C,Martin, Fox, Tierney, Ayala and Vaughan are leaving as it looks like there will be room in the squad.

But well you never know. Surman has deal left 2 years and I believe same goes for Butterfield, Cant remember how many years we gave him, so they are in better positions than those who are running out of contract or have only 1 year left.

Much more concerned about Tettey being out. We really need his energy & combativeness in midfield.

I wonder if Korey is a possible replacement? Hughton must have kept him back for a reason.

[quote user="shefcanary"]One of the best bits of business the club did last year, extending Surman''s contract.  How many more operations can we fit in to it?[/quote]Maybe we''re using Surman to build our own version of the six million dollar man, though with the nominal figure adjusted for inflation and currency.

Surman is a quality player, just perhaps doesn''t fit into Hughton''s system

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="shefcanary"]One of the best bits of business the club did last year, extending Surman''s contract.  How many more operations can we fit in to it?[/quote]

Maybe we''re using Surman to build our own version of the six million dollar man, though with the nominal figure adjusted for inflation and currency.

[/quote]

That''s how much he''s had from the club before the operations.  I think he''s spent most of it on his fake tan, clothes and hair styling?  (On International Women''s Day, me jealous of Surman''s good looks, moi?)

Just a couple of things worthy of note.

At the start of the season Surman was the preferred left midfielder until his injury - or at least he started more games.

Hughton liked him enough to give him a new long term contract.

I realise that giving a player an extended contract doesn''t mean he won''t be moved on but he has also scored 1 goal in four starts in the league.

I think people are writing him off for all of the wrong reasons. Lets just see where we are come the summer.

I think we have more urgent areas of the squad to deal with before we start loosing players in others.

For starters we currently have two strikers that are due to be here for sure next season in Holt and Becchio.

We also have no left back. And central defense needs sorting out.

We could have more money than the previous two summers to spend but what would that be? £20million? Still not a great deal if you are talking about ''next'' level players.

Rather than £2-3million you are talking £5-6million. We can ill afford to replace players that are not a priority at this time.