Sign in to follow this  
SYG

Steven Whittaker...

I feel this lad needs to be back in the team come Saturday.

I love Russ Martin as much as the next fan, but SW offers so much more going forward, there''s always that extra threat with him in the team. Snoddy does his bit in defence, so there would be no harm in SW pushing up and attacking...

I feel Martin has been playing well enough to keep his place. I would drop Garrido and try Whittaker left back as he is versatile enough to play there. Whittaker deserves his place back in the team.

[quote user="hazza9"]I feel Martin has been playing well enough to keep his place. I would drop Garrido and try Whittaker left back as he is versatile enough to play there. Whittaker deserves his place back in the team.[/quote]

In what way? Has he been impressing you in training?

Quite an odd statement to make seeing as none of us have seen him play a game in months. ..

He made more of a contribution in the minutes he had on the pitch than Garrido has all season! I just feel its time to drop Garrido and try Whittaker there.

[quote user="hazza9"]He made more of a contribution in the minutes he had on the pitch than Garrido has all season! I just feel its time to drop Garrido and try Whittaker there.[/quote]

Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Love it, replace a Left back who has been performing well for the Season, and replace him with a Right back who can play on the left................. Well Done!!

Performing well all season?? Do you go to many games? Ok name some games where Garrido has played well, where his positioning, tackling and general reading of the game is at a standard where it should be??

I would put the challenge the other way around hazza9 - where are the mistakes that Garrido has made,  which are the goals that you have at Garridos door?  

I have seen the games and the glaring errors are few and far between,  and certainly not enough to get a preferred out of position player in the side?

[quote user="hazza9"]Performing well all season?? Do you go to many games? Ok name some games where Garrido has played well, where his positioning, tackling and general reading of the game is at a standard where it should be??[/quote]

I bet your one of those idiots who phone the Canary Call after the game and spurt out a load od sh*te!!

Garrido hasn''t exactly been awful but his performances since around Christmas time have generally not been at the same level as many of his performances before Christmas.

Not sure I''d drop him for anyone else but also not sure I''m as confident he''ll be here next season as I was a few months.

[quote user="GJP"]

as I was a few months.

[/quote]

*a few months ago.

This isn''t a Garrido thread (who I for the record feels has performed constantly well for the season) it''s about SW, who I feel needs to come back in at right back...

Not sure. I do think a fit Whittaker is the better all round player than Martin, but it''s whether Whittaker is fit enough to come back in yet or not. It''s a bit of a cycle, as he hasn''t had any game time for ages and so probably isn''t match fit, but how does he get match fit without playing? At the moment, I''d be tempted to leave things as they are until either Martin has an absolute stinker of a game, or until we are mathematically safe.

Can we afford Martin to have a stinker of a game though? I''m not saying he will, but like you said player for player SW is the better option....

Can we afford to have a non-match fit right back though? SW is a better player (in my opinion) when fully fit, but he isn''t fully fit. If Martin isn''t doing anything drastically wrong, then why risk bringing in an unfit player?

The only time I would bring in a non-match fit player at the moment, was if the player starting above him was in terrible form, or if we were mathematically safe and wanted to try a few things out. At the moment, Martin isn''t in terrible form, and we''re not mathematically safe. If either of those things happen, I wouldn''t be surprised to see Whittaker come back in, but until then I think it''s a matter of balancing risks; and having the slightly worse player playing is less of a risk than having a non-match fit player playing at the moment.

How is he going to get match fit without playing?

He must be there or there about''s if he is sub.

People are asking for Kamara to start, surely SW is ''match fitter than him''

He isn''t, but that''s the point. If Martin isn''t doing anything wrong, why risk having a right back who needs a couple of games to get up to speed whilst we''ve got one who is up to speed and doing a perfectly adequate job?

Not necessarily. He may be there as cover, but doesn''t mean he''s anywhere near starting fitness.

Noticeably Kamara hasn''t started yet and got slightly longer against Man Utd than in previous games; suggesting that he is getting more match fit as goes along (and also aided by the fact that we needed to change things up as other strikers weren''t cutting it).