Sign in to follow this  
stoke canary

Super Mac.....A good read

Him and Phil Boyer were my first real Norwich hero,s Better than Batman +Robin   Laural +Hardy even The Krankies They were Real Superstars

Great read.

Hot headed and ungainly ''Superted'' was the ultimate goal-scorer. I loved him as much as the writer clearly did.

He formed a lethal partnership with ''Charlie'' Boyer as well. Arguably our best ever forward pairing.

Thanks to John Bond as well. We came of age under him, both on the pitch and in the media.

Thanks for that Stoke, a brilliant read.  I too remember the two hat-tricks but as a 10 year old thinking of the move to big school, never really got all the "politics" of his arrival and his departure.  But I do remember shouting "Super-Mac Dougall" along with the rest.  Perhaps in the end though I had forgotten the other details of Mac''s reign at Carra Rudd because it was "Charlie" Boyer who was my real hero, precisely because of what Mac didn''t do, which was put some real effort in.  I used to enthuse about the fact Charlie had run yards to get the ball in the first place rather than the impressive finish of Mac. 

I think if Mac was around now he would probably be like Jamie Cureton - one who would score for fun round the lower leagues but who despite having a fair return in the higher leagues, would not appeal to managers because of his work rate and so would forever be shipped on.  And I bet in the end that was why Bond was happy to see Mac move on - he had done what had been expected, but Norwich were into a new phase.

Great memories though.

I remember the League Cup semi final first leg v Man Utd at Old Trafford in 1975 played on a mud bath of a pitch where we got a 2-2 draw before winning the second leg at home. We were 2-1 down and i think it was Crerand who attempted a back pass to Stepney at the Stretford End but the ball stuck in the mud so up popped Super Mac and planted it in the back of the net before giving it a two handed V sign to the fans behind the goal who had been giving him a fair bit of stick being an ex Man Utd player. It was a great atmosphere on the football special train back to Norwich arriving at silly o clock in the morning.

Never ever saw Ted fail to score when one on one with the goalie. There was none of this trying to blast it with power, Ted would just walz up to the keeper, get him to commit by dropping a shoulder then round him he would go and gently side foot it into an empty net. You could bet your life on it.I''ve never seen anybody who could do that as well as Ted. He was the best natural goalscorer I have ever seen in the Yellow and Green.

I was at that game and on that train Tilly. My memory is patchy but I remember the goal clearly. We were in the seats, Thought wer''d be safe. As if!! As we celebrated the goal their fans were climbing over the seats after us. Anyway, I just looked up the team for that game. Keelan, Machin, Sullivan, Morris, Forbes, Stringer, Benson, MacDougall, Boyer, Suggett, Powell. Did we play 6-1-1-2???

Ricardo, spot on about Super Mac and the one on ones. Probabably the best but Bellas would give him a run for his money. I don''t remember him missing any either and his confidence for such a young player was unbelievable. Best at the club[;)]

[quote user="nutty nigel"]I was at that game and on that train Tilly. My memory is patchy but I remember the goal clearly. We were in the seats, Thought wer''d be safe. As if!! As we celebrated the goal their fans were climbing over the seats after us. Anyway, I just looked up the team for that game. Keelan, Machin, Sullivan, Morris, Forbes, Stringer, Benson, MacDougall, Boyer, Suggett, Powell. Did we play 6-1-1-2???

Ricardo, spot on about Super Mac and the one on ones. Probabably the best but Bellas would give him a run for his money. I don''t remember him missing any either and his confidence for such a young player was unbelievable. Best at the club[;)][/quote]

Powell started out as a midfielder for us nutty before he was converted to CB and I would think Machin played in midfield that day too. The back four that day would probably have been Sullivan, Forbes, Stringer, Benson. Quite a defensive line-up considering how attack minded Bond was. Makes Hughton seem adventurous. [;)]

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="nutty nigel"]I was at that game and on that train Tilly. My memory is patchy but I remember the goal clearly. We were in the seats, Thought wer''d be safe. As if!! As we celebrated the goal their fans were climbing over the seats after us. Anyway, I just looked up the team for that game. Keelan, Machin, Sullivan, Morris, Forbes, Stringer, Benson, MacDougall, Boyer, Suggett, Powell. Did we play 6-1-1-2???

Ricardo, spot on about Super Mac and the one on ones. Probabably the best but Bellas would give him a run for his money. I don''t remember him missing any either and his confidence for such a young player was unbelievable. Best at the club[;)][/quote]

Powell started out as a midfielder for us nutty before he was converted to CB and I would think Machin played in midfield that day too. The back four that day would probably have been Sullivan, Forbes, Stringer, Benson. Quite a defensive line-up considering how attack minded Bond was. Makes Hughton seem adventurous. [;)]

[/quote]

Yep. Powell had to play midfield to get a game while Forbes and Stringer were first choice. I remember Peter Morris as quite a defensive midfielder too. Had a good shot mind. Well for a binner anyway! But you''re right. Whatever would some of todays young posters made of that line up going to OT last weekend!

We had another binner at the time who didn''t play that game. Johnny Miller who''s two goals had actually knocked out the binners in the round before. Word was that we hadn''t even paid for him at the time [;)]

What a fantastic player Ted McDougall was, when he first came to Norwich he looked like he was going to score every time he got the ball. A tad different to his last game away to Coventry when he appeared totally hacked off and volleyed an easy chance over the bar. His partnership with Charlie Boyer must be the best we''ve ever had.

It was absolutely criminal to have sold both of them to Soto for peanuts. Charlie went on to be leading goalscorer in the league.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]Whatever would some of todays young posters made of that line up going to OT last weekend![/quote]It would be the equivalent of Hughton sending out Bunn, Martin, Turner, Bassong, Garrido, Whittaker, Ryan Bennett, Tettey, Johnson, Hoolahan and Holt.If he fielded that team at OT and got a 0-0 draw he would have been crucified for not trying to win. [:)]

Ohmy what memories. Like other posters, his two early season hat tricks are amongst my favourite Canary moments. In fact, I have never been so excited by our very early season form as I was back then.

One of those hat tricks must have been against Villa in August of the 1975/76 season. An 8 goal thriller with Norwich winning 5-3.

And one of the best Mick Dennis headlines in the EDP on the Monday...

"What entertainment, 8 pence a goal!"

Ah, those were the days.

With regard to Super Mac''s work-rate, I remember John Bond being asked this question in an interview. His response was that if he were allowed, he''d plant a stick in the penalty spot, and tether Super Mac to it, so he stayed in position to score goals. That was his job, and there were other players for defensive duties !

6th December 1975. Super Mac scores the late winner against West Ham at the River End. The place erupts, the Hammers fans (who have been giving MacDougall stick all afternoon fall quiet) and Mac hangs on the goal net milking the applause. For the 10 year old Beard Jnr an iconic moment 

"One of those hat tricks must have been against Villa in August of the 1975/76 season. An 8 goal thriller with Norwich winning 5-3.

And one of the best Mick Dennis headlines in the EDP on the Monday...

"What entertainment, 8 pence a goal!"

Ah, those were the days."

Have you got an archive of Pinkuns from back in the day? If so, I am extremely jealous and I demand you scan them all and make them available online this weekend.

Goalscoring is a lot easier when you got Martin Peters putting the ball across just in front of your head. I once saw Martin Peters take a free kick from outside the area, no one moved, not the players, not the supporters or the keeper. It was as if time stood still, frozen. Suddenly the ball was bouncing on the ground in the back of the net, then the crowd woke up in a roar, the players looked at each other baffled, yes the Ghost strikes again. Simply beautiful, a master craftsman. And Ted, well, he could leap alright. Brilliant header of the ball. Two of the very best.

The Macdougall and Boyer partnership will never be bettered at Carrow road imo .They just complimented each other perfectly and although we''ve had some great players over the years that time around 75 was just great to be a Norwich fan.My most memorable game ever has to be the league cup semi final 2nd leg win over Man u when Colin Suggett scored the only goal real hairs on the back of the neck job !

[quote user="Roodge"]Goalscoring is a lot easier when you got Martin Peters putting the ball across just in front of your head. I once saw Martin Peters take a free kick from outside the area, no one moved, not the players, not the supporters or the keeper. It was as if time stood still, frozen. Suddenly the ball was bouncing on the ground in the back of the net, then the crowd woke up in a roar, the players looked at each other baffled, yes the Ghost strikes again. Simply beautiful, a master craftsman. And Ted, well, he could leap alright. Brilliant header of the ball. Two of the very best.[/quote]

Absolutely. I truly believe that anyone who doesn''t think Martin Peters is our greatest ever player never saw him play.

Ted MacDougall was unique. He could score in so many ways and was so dangerous. As charismatic as he was prolific he made Berbatov look like Bradley Johnson with his work rate but was a better striker than all but the very best. Absolute class.

Agreeing with a lot of this, especially Martin Peters.

Can remember not being able to go to the 5-3 Villa game, but my mate was and when he came back from that game, being well well ( 2x well, makes me VERY) jealous.

"His record nine goals for Bournemouth, against Margate in an 11-0 FA Cup first round win, turned the Cherries striker into an overnight celebrity. That record still stands today and 40 years on MacDougall has been reliving that special day.

"I was disappointed as I thought I should have got 11," Ted told the BBC."

Classic!

http://atlantaspursfc.blogspot.co.uk/2011/11/when-ted-macdougall-scored-9.html