Sign in to follow this  
BroadstairsR

Match thread v Saints.

Holt is again offering next to nothing. Becoming a luxury primadonna player. Bring on someone who bother to run a bit.

Howson looks poor too today

we aren''t playing anywhere near as bad as half of you are saying! everything Southampton do is coming through Shaw.. if we stop him they wont have an attacking outlet left.agree with Grefstad Re Holt. other than get booked what has he bought to the game?i''d get snoddy off 2nd half... not playing well today. he is costing us so much possession by trying to knock it past a player he hasn''t beaten once!

Yes, Holt should have had a pen there, but Im shocked how poor Holt has been for most of the season, not only this game.

For me, bring Holt off, play Bennet on, behind Kamara.

Or Bennett on the left, Wes in the middle behind Kamara, Holt off.

Problem with Holt is that he is no threat anymore. no pace, even less than before, and he is not winning anything in the air either. in our open play, he contantly seeks the ball, and always got a man in his back. He never play off the defenders shoulder anymore, and it is because he knows he lacks the pace to do it.

For me, a liability now, due to his seemingly poor fitness.

We''re too bloody slow - Pilkington (injury a blessing in disguise), Howson, Snodgrass, Holt - in fact the whole bloody lot of them. Never get a decent ball into the box so how are we ever going to score. They need a rocket at half time & show some urgency for once.For crying out loud, watching this rubbish week after week is depressing

you mind if hughton replaces snodgrass howson and johnson with 3 of your scones ? probably be just as effective

[quote user="grefstad"]Yes, Holt should have had a pen there, but Im shocked how poor Holt has been for most of the season, not only this game.

For me, bring Holt off, play Bennet on, behind Kamara.

Or Bennett on the left, Wes in the middle behind Kamara, Holt off.

Problem with Holt is that he is no threat anymore. no pace, even less than before, and he is not winning anything in the air either. in our open play, he contantly seeks the ball, and always got a man in his back. He never play off the defenders shoulder anymore, and it is because he knows he lacks the pace to do it.

For me, a liability now, due to his seemingly poor fitness.[/quote]and he threw a wobbly to get his long contract for lots of money and bugger all back now..but dont worry.. they all still love him!

Howson in midfield seem to disrupt the balance there. Massive holes around him, and Soton are running in behind constantly between midfield and defence.

Missing Tettey for sure.

[quote user="Mister Chops"]It''s not all bad, I baked twelve scones during the first half and they''re pretty good.[/quote]

Jealous - warmth and scones!!

Howson shocking again - how he got to start after jast week I dont know.

Snoddy having a mare

Holt needs to be subbed

I did not think our passing could get worse - only pilkintgton could in the first half and he is off now. They had the best chances and Bunn easily MOTM at the mo.

Would change howson for bennett and get wes involved by having him central now and inject both some pace and out wide and also wess ability on the ball to create.

Give holt another 15-20 mins then haul him off for becchio.

I said yesterday today was all about the performance - and so far it has been shocking. Would happily take a point right now but we cant be any less toothless or incompetent for the second half so COYY hopefully you have had a rocket at half time and can get us all three points in the second

ps two shocking stats for the first half

Only one player touched the ball more than Mark Bunn

- hot potato

Grant Holt only touched teh ball 11 times - Wes 7 in less than a third of the time - uninvolved again, and he cant blame being away, outclassed by opponents or lone striker as the excuse this time, Kei has touched it twice as often.

COYY

Again the all mighty 4-4-2 was disaster for both defence and building up game.

Too bad I dont take stills from the game, but there was situation when Southampton left back had the ball and after he got front of Kamara there was tens of meters open space in the middle of the pitch. Only player there was wearing red shirt.. thank god left back went for wing play.

Another thing that made me do frustrated sounds was our passing and not only Johnson and Howson this time, but our most reliable players Snodgrass and Martin were definently poor. Well the weather is horrible and when Hoolahan made his first pass it was behind Garrido because the pool of water they are playing ^^ So mayby not only our players fault this time.

And third thing was that some players really didnt know what to do on the pitch ^^ it wasnt one r two times when our own players were blocking their teammates.

Anyway Southampton were better side for first half, but our defence was still quite solid and Bunn took few good saves.

At the end when Hoolahan came on the pitch we slowly seemed to go for 4-2-3-1 and I dont know if you noticed when Hoolahan made nice trick and got away from his marker on the middlefield and passed for Snoddy we had tons of open space and 4 against 4 situation, but Snoddys poor pass stopped our attack. More of this with better end production and we will win this game.

Also at the end of half we started to get the pressure on right side of the end so mayby we see better second half.

Heh and stop complaining about Holt ^^ he made some brilliant runs and passes. Garrido and Holt are sharing my opinion of our MOTM at the moment. Bunn, Kamara and centre backs have been good too.

whilst snoddy may be having a mare, he is just about the only player i have faith in doing something special in a game at the moment so hoping he will turn it around 2nd half

Must admit I am becoming concerned about Holt, could be time to give Bechhio a run out. But it should be a few games so he gets a real chance, will also remind Holt he must fight for a place and its not guaranteed

Its disappointing for sure, but I''ll settle for a scrappy win rather than a glorious defeat!

Was there a half-time team talk?.....they''ve come out more useless than the first half.....

42% possession at home, with a pass completion ratio (according to Sky sports page) of only 59%, compared to Southampton''s 77%.

Not difficult to see where we most need to strengthen over the summer - passing midfielders.

I did read an interesting interview with Moyes today though, wherein he said that he can be a lot more adventurous with his tactics and formations now, because he has a better class of players than when he first went to the club. He has got passing defenders, midfielders who can retain the ball, and pace throughout the team which helps you play a higher line etc. I think/hope a similar thing will happen with Houghton - we will continue to build and add extra dimensions to our game. Defence has been secured, hopefully we can start to build a bit next season on ball retention or extra pace in the defence or on the wings.

[quote user="Lavanche"]

Heh and stop complaining about Holt ^^ he made some brilliant runs and passes. .[/quote]2 goals in 19 games and how many assists?should have moved him on in the summer.

Bennett on for snoddy who looks injured now.

Becchio on for Holt.

We need the workrate of Becchio, and the pace of Bennett

we are starting to get in behind Southampton now.. agree we need bennett.. we are stretching the hell out of the centre halfs!

This is the sort of performance that will bring out all the happy clappers come full time lolLousy... lets blame the weather, not the poor passing, lack of ideas or god forbid the manager [;)]

Howson watching instead of Tackling as Southampton get a shot away...how many more chances is Howson going to get?!