Sign in to follow this  
Syteanric

good result

now 9 points from the drop.. we were 8 at the start of the day.ok so we didn''t play well and Holt shouldn''t have taken the penalty, but its another clean sheet, its a point against a side who will be staying in the division with us... and ultimately its our survival assured for another season.enjoy the rest of the games... we are becoming hard to beat, if we build on it in the summer then all the better.that''s 10 clean sheets this season too.. and for those of you that are about to moan "we should have bloody won em!" this is the same Southampton who have beaten the champions.we''ve lost 1 of our last 5 too....i''ll call myself a happy clapper (those who have been on this board a while will know that''s far from the truth!).. but then maybe i can see the game objectively rather than knee jerk "football is played to win and if we dont win its doom and gloom!"

If you say so, if being outplayed at home by a newly promoted side below us is a good result . We are becoming the anti football team in the league and its painful to watch.

It''s a good result considering how we played, but a poor result given how I think we should be playing.  If that makes sense.With hindsight, 0-0 will be better for us than Southampton but it''s a bit of a sad state of affairs when we''re looking at 0-0 draws against teams below us in the league as "good results".  Particularly when in my view Southampton were the better and more aggressive/attacking side for at least 75 minutes of that match.Still, I''m on the season ticket waiting list so that should be another hundred places up the list I jump.

[quote user="JF"]If you say so, if being outplayed at home by a newly promoted side below us is a good result . We are becoming the anti football team in the league and its painful to watch.[/quote]so we are becoming Stoke? A cup final and Europe... if i offered you that at the start of the season what would you say?

I think it would be a much better point if we didnt all know that we''ll go and try to hold out for 0-0 at Sunderland.

Hughton will I feel reasonably confident keep us up so rightly can be seen to on paper have done a good job, but in barely anyway have i enjoyed his management and football this season. I just hope there is an agenda for a more entertaining brand of football than has been given us this season.

[quote user="catlineker"]Doubt Stoke would lose at home to a non league side[/quote]so what.. someone had to.. it was us...

We should stay up this season but I feel the football and the style of our play has become as negative as one of hughtons press conferences.

I do not feel positive with Hughton at the helm for next season and the boring team that he has moulded us into. The amount of draws that we have played out at carrow road this season just begs belief, especially against teams that are either poor on the road or routed to the bottom of the table. I think we are in for a very long season next year.

[quote user="canaryfan68"]We should stay up this season but I feel the football and the style of our play has become as negative as one of hughtons press conferences. I do not feel positive with Hughton at the helm for next season and the boring team that he has moulded us into. The amount of draws that we have played out at carrow road this season just begs belief, especially against teams that are either poor on the road or routed to the bottom of the table. I think we are in for a very long season next year.[/quote]

Totally agree, in fact I''d go as far as to say, IF we stay up this season next season if we continue to play like this we will go down.

ignoring the result the performance was awful the leeds 3 in midfield were rubbish, kamara looks more use as an impact player, defence didnt cover themselves in glory either. Way too ponderous on the ball, too many mistakes, rubbish passing, no pace or flair.when youre playing at home against a team who are newly promoted and strong relegation candidates and your goalkeeper is your best player then theres clearly something wrong

i think he will keep us up, just, but i would be very happy to see him replaced in the summerits cr@p

Ive honestly lost all enthusiasm for the way we play. If he keeps us up and its still if then he needs to up his game for next season cos this style of football isnt acceptable and wont keep us up next time. We are the most negative team in the league regardless of position. If this carries on we wont need stadiium expansion, we will strugle to fill the seats we have.

Good result? Are you kidding me.

We were. Outplayed by a team who only came up this season, lucky to get a point

Agreed Waz,however I dont think Hughton is a stupid man... by the players keeping thumbs up backsides all they are doing is signalling their exits from the club.... if the board have got a pot of money stashed away i would think at least 6 of those who played today will be bench at best next season...They are playing for places and so far making Hughtons job come May very easy.

True, a point gained and all that BS, but really, if we cannot push for wins at home we will get stuffed sooner or later and next season will be equally as tough... I question the ambition of this club... should we be grateful for just avoiding relegation every year from now on? Achieving absolutely nothing barring woeful performances and gaining a "point" now and again?

That was pretty scrappy though. The weather was awful though Soton seemed to work harder to adapt. We are only 9 points ahead if Wigan lose their game in hand.

That said I don''t think that we will be relegated.

Polarizied views aside, there was much to discuss eg why did Fox not come on for the struggling Howson when he could have supplied some much needed decisive passing?

Why did the crowd boo when KK came off when he was clearly knackered?

Why do we look so uncreative when Hoolahan does not play when the Pilks, Snodgrass combination fails to create chances for two up front (Fox for Howson maybe) ?

How good is it to see Bunn fulfill his potential?

Holt worked hard but why do other fans not see that?

Does Hughton trust this squad to take any risks and is he right not to?

I have to agree a point is better than nothing. I think what concerns supporters is the way we are playing (or the non football we are playing). It is negative, unattractive and at times bordering on the tedious.

Had the Saints got their shooting boots on we could have been two or three down and it would not have flattered them.They passed the ball better, had much better movement and looked positive when going forward. CH has a master plan to survive this season - I am sure that is his brief - keep us up and I think he will do it.

Every point is a bonus - but there are too many players in the team who just don''t have the quality and technical ability at this level to play attractive football - and I guess we have to accept that fact until CH can change things in the summer.

[quote user="Ratty57"]there are too many players in the team who just don''t have the quality and technical ability at this level to play attractive football - and I guess we have to accept that fact until CH can change things in the summer.[/quote]They were able to play attractive football last season though?

[quote user="school boy error"][quote user="Ratty57"]there are too many players in the team who just don''t have the quality and technical ability at this level to play attractive football - and I guess we have to accept that fact until CH can change things in the summer.[/quote]

They were able to play attractive football last season though?
[/quote]

Totally agree School Boy. These players have shown last season they can play attractive football, where they probably lack technical ability is to do the attacking side within the constraints of always staying organised defensively as the number one objective as apposed to winning the actual game.

[quote user="jas the barclay king"][quote user="JF"]If you say so, if being outplayed at home by a newly promoted side below us is a good result . We are becoming the anti football team in the league and its painful to watch.[/quote]so we are becoming Stoke? A cup final and Europe... if i offered you that at the start of the season what would you say?[/quote]

i would hate to support stoke. I would rather get relegated than be a stoke fan, and i''m being honest.

I can''t wait until next season when we''ll splash out a bit of cash on a striker or two. Then we''ll be playing a more balanced style of play instead of this defensive way of playing we''ve developed under hughton, who''s doing a great job considering holt is becoming kevin davies and our lack of funds to bring in a top quality striker

Yes, anothsr point but to call a 0-0 home draw against Southampton a good result is a bit one dimensional. Or just plain silly.

Please explain how he is doing a great job? If you were to take your yellow tinted specs off you would see that the dross that has been served up this season is every bit as bad as stoke. In fact i wouls say hughton is looking like being the new pulis. We only llok dangerous now from set pieces and struggle to pass and create from open play. Complete anti football.

[quote user="the bristol nest"]That was pretty scrappy though. The weather was awful though Soton seemed to work harder to adapt. We are only 9 points ahead if Wigan lose their game in hand.

That said I don''t think that we will be relegated.

Polarizied views aside, there was much to discuss eg why did Fox not come on for the struggling Howson when he could have supplied some much needed decisive passing?

Why did the crowd boo when KK came off when he was clearly knackered?

Why do we look so uncreative when Hoolahan does not play when the Pilks, Snodgrass combination fails to create chances for two up front (Fox for Howson maybe) ?

How good is it to see Bunn fulfill his potential?

Holt worked hard but why do other fans not see that?

Does Hughton trust this squad to take any risks and is he right not to?[/quote]good questions here!i will give my answers.1. who knows?! is Howson working off a debt, does he have something on Hughton? if he looks better than Fox in training then Fox must have 1 leg or something!.2. Because half the crowd have little or no idea about football at all... these are people who turn up to see the team"win", have no understanding of tactics other than 4-4-2 and think because a player did well last week he must some kind of messiah this week... even on the online feed we could see KK was struggling.,. a good decision by Hughton.3. i disagree, I think Wes is too one footed sometimes that it forces us to be more one dimensional. i think if anything we need Tettey back to move the ball better from deeper.4. Bunn is not a young goalkeeper.. he is doing what is expected of him not his potential.5. you really think Holt worked hard??? i''m keen on hearing why you think this. Everton apart Holt has looked worse by the week. If we had better options at the club (Had we have got RVW and Hooper along with Becchio and KK) I doubt Grant would even make the bench...6. Nothing hughton can do but see the season out til the window opens again in May.

[quote user="school boy error"][quote user="Ratty57"]there are too many players in the team who just don''t have the quality and technical ability at this level to play attractive football - and I guess we have to accept that fact until CH can change things in the summer.[/quote]

They were able to play attractive football last season though?
[/quote]

Exactly.

It doesn''t matter how many forwards we sign the tactics have got to change. Although today we did have 2 up front, we wouldn''t have scored if the game had gone on until Sunday tea time. We have gone from being a passing team to rivalling Stoke for giving their fans neck ache from watching the flight of the ball.

[quote user="canaryfan68"]We should stay up this season but I feel the football and the style of our play has become as negative as one of hughtons press conferences.

I do not feel positive with Hughton at the helm for next season and the boring team that he has moulded us into. The amount of draws that we have played out at carrow road this season just begs belief, especially against teams that are either poor on the road or routed to the bottom of the table. I think we are in for a very long season next year.[/quote]

Couldn''t agree more.I also think we will stay up this season,but next season is already looking tough,very tough...

[quote user="canaryfan68"]We should stay up this season but I feel the football and the style of our play has become as negative as one of hughtons press conferences.

I do not feel positive with Hughton at the helm for next season and the boring team that he has moulded us into. The amount of draws that we have played out at carrow road this season just begs belief, especially against teams that are either poor on the road or routed to the bottom of the table. I think we are in for a very long season next year.[/quote]

Couldn''t agree more.I also think we will stay up this season,but next season is already looking tough,very tough...

I have no doubt we will stay up this season.

Frustrating as today was (and by God was it frustrating) I still see staying up as the overriding priority. We should still have won today - and the performance was not great but a couple of things keep it in perspective for me

1 - the conditions were utterly awful - for both teams. Playing any kind of decent football out there must have been all but impossible

2 - We had the clearer chances in the 2nd half - Bunn did well 1st half too but Holt & Snodgrass both had clear chances even aside from the penalty.

3 - Southampton have been praised consistently recently - I thought the teams were very evenly matched today.

As for next season, I am reserving judgement on CH till then - his signings so far have been spot on - but we now need him to bring in midfielders and more striking power. Then we will see where we are. The thing that really strikes me at the moment is that we need pace - everything at the moment is so slow and cumbersome

I''m sure we all want the squashbuckling football of yesteryear, but the fact is we have got 4 points from our last three games. I don''t think its a lack of quality, just a bad patch,all teams have them, the important thing is during any bad patch is to still get points. So yes good result.

I still think most people are of the opinion like mine that Hughton gets the benefit of the doubt with the style of play this year as long as we stay up. If we stay up and in my opinion it''s not a gimme yet and we still play like this next year then I will want a change.Only thing that concerns me is that everybody else gets loadsamoney too not just us so it''s not a case that we will be able to pick all the best player''s.

So for now it''s a case of IHIJAT !

Southampton have quality and movement up front; Turner, Bassong and Bunn were immense today.

0-0 at home - a match we looked much more likely to lose than win - was a particularly disappointing result.

The predominant view on the board seems to be that we''ll finish comfortably mid-table. I just hope this group-think proves correct.

See you all at the Stadium of Light next week.

a fantastic point in the circumstances which could have been an outstanding 3 points.

I said before the game was all about the performance, and it was disappointing from both a tactical point of view but also player delivery. Disappointing is an understatement and we can and should be so much better - we have the capability.

But the positive context remains a point closer to securing the inevitable safety