Sign in to follow this  
Ha ya got a loight boy?

Clean sheets!

I remember last year there was so much anxiety and worry about us conceding goals every game and there was much wailing and gnashing of teeth thinking we were shipping too many goals and always having to attack like mad to get something out of the games. Well this season we''ve got it. Ten is it?  I bet the same people who moaned about the lack of clean sheets last season are the ones moaning about lack of goals now.  But  I think its the natural balance of things.  Lambert was just the opposite of Hughton.   Hughton has had to address Lambert''s shortcomings as a manager and what we are seeing is a team learning to defend. Something they couldn''t do last season.      If we survive this season, we should see a progression into a more able midfield and attack based on a good defensive set up.   Clean sheets are a bonus at the end of the day and the very worst you can say about them is that if you don''t let goals in you can''t lose a match.   

I certainly couldn''t see us keeping a single clean sheet this whole season after the Fulham match on the opening day of the season.

So credit where its due for the way that the same players are now so clearly our best performers week in week out (with the addition of Bunn for Ruddy at the moment)

Credit both to the players concerned and the coaching team for that improvement. Now just need to see the same happening for the midfield and wide areas

Build from the back. That''s what he''s doing and the fact he wanted RVW and Hooper in summer proves he is looking further forward now

Yes,i admit the 9 cleansheets are a positive,BUT i still wish we would score more goals.We have failed to score in 6 out of our last 8 Premier League games.That simply isn''t good enough and its very frustrating.

You''re right but I can''t think for a minute that Hughton will sit back and think "job done" at where Norwich are now. He''ll know that we need more goals and it''ll be so obvious that Holt and the otehrs aren''t scoring like they were last year or how they should be. He''ll also know what the fans want and what the club has a reputation for in terms of playing style. Whetehr he can delierv that or not remains to be seen.Haven''t Norwich got the record so far this season for no. consecutive passes before a goal?

clean sheets all round then - I think we all had in mind clean sheets for just our defence,  not out opponents too

I prefer clean sheets...I was at a Holiday Inn last week and had to complain that I didnt have clean sheets...Bet they dont have that problem in the corner of Carra ;-)

Its certainly been one extreme to the other from last season to this.

It is of course about finding some kind of balance and I''m confident CH will find that balance next season after some summer recruitment.

[quote user="killiecanary"]I certainly couldn''t see us keeping a single clean sheet this whole season after the Fulham match on the opening day of the season.

So credit where its due for the way that the same players are now so clearly our best performers week in week out (with the addition of Bunn for Ruddy at the moment)

Credit both to the players concerned and the coaching team for that improvement. Now just need to see the same happening for the midfield and wide areas[/quote]

Personally I think Bassong coming into the defence has been the most important factor in preventing a repeat of the Fulham debacle.  Also I can''t see Tierney winning his place back from Garrido anytime soon.

But I agree that coaching has been part of the improvement too.

The defensive record is very good, although it has to be said that on the days when we have lost we have have lost "big" - hence one of the poorest goal differences in the table.

The fact that we have kept a clean sheet again shoould not blind us to the fact that we have won only one game in twelve, and have scored only 4 times in nine, and two of them in one match! If this form continues, we could be in real trouble, and now that Pilkington is injured and Tettey not coming back rapidly, we have to improve other aspects of our game. The midfield is not creating enough, and here we are largely talking about Snoddy but not to blame him, as nobody else in the midifield is creating much at all. Wes ought to be supplying more chances, and Pilks.

I still think that we shall survive (just), but to do so we have to improve. "...loight boy" is surely right, that we we know we need strikers but we also need more creative talent in the midfield. Of the goals we have scored, nearly half have been from set pieces.

And of course if we can keep a clean sheet in three or four of our remaining games, and our recent record indicates that we should be able to, that''s three or four points in the bag even if we fail to score at the other end.