Sign in to follow this  
unique

Howson

Wrong as it is to single out any one player after such a dire performance, if Howson is selected to play in any further games this season then Chris Hughton''s ability to manage NCFC has to be seriously questioned.

I cringe anytime I see the ball goes near him....I honestly believe we would be better off starting with ten men.

One of his anonymous performances. I can''t understand why Fox or Bennett don''t start instead. But the whole team was second best today and actually we should be pleased we even got a point. Howson is too light weight for this league as are 6 or 7 others. There are probably only 3 to 4 in our team that you could argue are PL standard. Have to hope we can get over the line and massively revamp the team next year.

I always feel sorry for Bradley - with Howson alongside him he has to do twice as much work. Howson is NOT a PL standard player - week after week he puts in poor performances ...I am sure he would be great back in the Championship - some players just can''t step up...

As soon as I see his name on the team sheet I know we are going to struggle ...its like starting out with 10 men!!!

[quote user="unique"]Wrong as it is to single out any one player after such a dire performance, if Howson is selected to play in any further games this season then Chris Hughton''s ability to manage NCFC has to be seriously questioned.

I cringe anytime I see the ball goes near him....I honestly believe we would be better off starting with ten men.[/quote]Not just on this point but on many errors of judgement CH has to go [;)]

Howson''s not a defensive midfielder. Wasted being played there. Surprised Hughton''s not attempted to play a defender in there instead of Howson.

I was at a game last month with a former professional, someone who made over 150 appearances for Norwich infact and in a good Norwich team.

He mentioned he''d noticed that some people had start to get on Howson''s case a bit and he was coming in for a bit of criticism. In his opinion people who had a low opinion of Howson didn''t really know a lot about football - although he said it in more blunt terms than that.

I agree with him to be honest, some of the stick he''s starting to get is utterly ridiculous. Today there was someone near me who was very vocal when Hwoson did something wrong (and he did mess a couple of things up) but when he did something well that person didn''t say a word. That''s what''s wrong with football fans.

his last two performances for city have been typical of his for us this season.

Today, as he has more often this season than not, he played in a 442 system which did NOT have him as a defensive midfielder - so he was not out of position.

His passing was poor, his tackling worse, and his movement like last weekend was poor both offensively and defensively.

Again he was caught in possession too often.

I dont doubt he has ability or is a good footballer. he is just not bringing it to match days.

In most games for city this season he has been the weakest link in midfield. He needs time to grow - but he is not ready to continue being started at the mo.

I had high hopes of this player after his impact last season, but now want him dropped.

For various reasons he is not performing up to par.

Far, far too early to write him off though. That''s quite daft IMO.

For now, I wouldn''t mind seeing Whittaker given a shot alongside Johnson, especially as our next two fixtures are away. BJ could be required to show more forward intent and maybe, just maybe, one of his pots shots might come off. Whittaker is goal-aware as well. 

Although Howson was not at his best today, our problems are deeper than this. We create few - if any - chances from open play at the moment. We play too deep at home and lack creativity, belief and craft. We still need a couple of victories at home - where will these come from?

I get the impression that he is trying to copy Wes in the way he plays, trying to turn circles to keep the ball.   But I always thought he was a more direct player full of running, but we haven''t seen much of that.    It looks as if he has (temporarily) lost his way and has forgotten what makes him a good player.   Like most players he needs to play to his strengths and the sooner he remembers what they are the better he will be.     Maybe he just needs time to rediscover his form.    He has a good shot and is a good passer at his best.    Maybe if we get safe we can see him (and some of the other players)  relax a little and express themselves better.    This probably the toughest season we have faced and actually results say we are on track to stay up, so it is not all gloom and doom.   Get through this season and I think we will see some of the players the better for it and play with more confidence next season.

I agree with the earlier post, there seems to be a lot less movement off the ball by our guys, less people making themselves available for a pass, and less positive runs going forward into space,that makes Howsons job a whole lot harder.

While I don''t think Howson is as bad as people like to make out, I''d like to see Fox given a game to see if it improves our ball retention and distribution.

Sigh. So Howson was used as an attacking midfielder yesterday, ZLF? He was allowed to roam forwards at ever possibility and link up with the two forwards in the knowledge one of the wingers would fall back and cover the inside defensively?

No? Of course, not.

He was deployed, alongside Johnson, in the centre of midfield with defensive duties, playing a tight formation that put emphasis on Snodgrass and Pilkington/Wes to do most of our attacking. Which isn''t using his main abilities.

That''s not to say he hasn''t been poor this year - he really has. But putting him in a position that isn''t utilising his strengths has been detrimental. You only have to look at why Fox has been out of the team for such a prolonged period this season to realise Houghton doesn''t want the centre midfield pairing to be attacking minded.

COlin on goals on sunday giving a good summary of the leeds players we have.

Clearly rates Snodgrass and we can all see why despite a below par game from him yesterday.

Interesting to see that he rates the remaining three as merely squad players, incl. Howson.

For once its hard to disagree with him.

Howson had a shocker yesterday.  I''m yet to see anything decent from him this season.  Bad performances do happen, and no player is brilliant every game.

But just what is Howson''s best position and in what formation?  I don''t know, and from what I''ve seen this season, we cannot make a formaton to accomodate him.

I''d be tempted to sell in the summer, if a reasonable offer, £2mil or so, came in for him. 

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"] Interesting to see that he rates the remaining three as merely squad players, incl. Howson.

[/quote]

So why was he Leeds captain ?

FFS Howson is not a holding midfielder!! Hughton''s tactics don''t suit him granted but he''s clearly prem class. I really can''t see the Howson bashing, But then I didn''t agree with the morison bashing either.

[quote user="jedi"]FFS Howson is not a holding midfielder!! Hughton''s tactics don''t suit him granted but he''s clearly prem class. I really can''t see the Howson bashing, But then I didn''t agree with the morison bashing either.[/quote]

Howson and Morison are at most Championship class; perhaps even biggish fish in that little pond. But that''s clearly their limit.

Just clear facts; not bashing.

OTBC

[quote user="jedi"]FFS Howson is not a holding midfielder!! Hughton''s tactics don''t suit him granted but he''s clearly prem class. I really can''t see the Howson bashing, But then I didn''t agree with the morison bashing either.[/quote]Why is he clearly premiership class?  because we paid 2 million for him?  His passing seems very one dimensional (crab), he doesn''t have any vision of note, he doesn''t appear to have much of a shot on him and its not like we see him beating players while on the ball.  I can image he is a bit of a box to box player but really is not impressing at either end of the pitch right now. He will be 25 soon so needs to start showing his ability at this level asap.  It has not helped him that Hughton often plays him as a holding midfielder, but yesterday he was central in a 4-4-2.  The inability of our two central midfielders to pass was a key reason for our dreadful performance.As for Morison. his passing, touch and technique were seriously lacking.  Even when he was scoring goals last season he never convinced.  He will score a lot of goals in the  Championship, but like so many others the Premiership is a step too far.

[quote user="TIL 1010"]

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"] Interesting to see that he rates the remaining three as merely squad players, incl. Howson.

[/quote]

[/quote]

Different league. Different team. Different manager. Different tactics. Different squad. Different game plan.

We have had players, current and former, who have been captains at their former clubs but not always made the same impact here.

[quote user="TIL 1010"]

[/quote]

[/quote]Andy Hughes was Norwich Club Captain and he was far from being a top performer at the club.

I''ve said all along that when we have Howson, Snodgrass & Johnson in the side we don''t look creative, individually they are all good players but for some reason they don''t seem to click playing together.