Sign in to follow this  
can u sit down please

Jonny Howson

I thought he had a good game today and clearly got stronger the longer it went on. His tracking back was invaluable, it was nice to see a CM of ours all over the pitch.Yes, he lost a few balls. CM''s do when trying to create, the important thing was that he didnt hide and kept going. I really hope he gets a run in the team and rediscovers his form from the end of last year.

Absolutely right. When a creative midfielder tries to create they are more likely to lose a few balls because they''re trying to make that "key" pass, open up that space or beat the player to create a chance.

Yet Hoolahan gets caned for it on here. That doesn''t make sense to me.

[quote user="can u sit down please"]I thought he had a good game today and clearly got stronger the longer it went on. His tracking back was invaluable, it was nice to see a CM of ours all over the pitch.Yes, he lost a few balls. CM''s do when trying to create, the important thing was that he didnt hide and kept going. I really hope he gets a run in the team and rediscovers his form from the end of last year.[/quote]I thought he was alright too. He was up against some good players, and with Everton having so much of the game early on it was hard for him.That said, I don''t think he''ll keep Tettey out the side.

[quote user="Warren Hill"]Absolutely right. When a creative midfielder tries to create they are more likely to lose a few balls because they''re trying to make that "key" pass, open up that space or beat the player to create a chance.

Yet Hoolahan gets caned for it on here. That doesn''t make sense to me.[/quote]Im pleased that someone else see''s it like that. I can never understand why people get slagged off for trying to create. Its the hardest thing to do!If people want to watch people who can keep the ball maybe we should go back to Fotherigham and Carl Robinson. The kings of sideways and backwards!

[quote user="morty"][quote user="can u sit down please"]I thought he had a good game today and clearly got stronger the longer it went on. His tracking back was invaluable, it was nice to see a CM of ours all over the pitch.Yes, he lost a few balls. CM''s do when trying to create, the important thing was that he didnt hide and kept going. I really hope he gets a run in the team and rediscovers his form from the end of last year.[/quote]I thought he was alright too. He was up against some good players, and with Everton having so much of the game early on it was hard for him.That said, I don''t think he''ll keep Tettey out the side.[/quote]I think he is what we are crying out for at home. Tettey & Jonno are more suited to playing away. If we play 1 up top next wk we should play him with a licence to bomb with Tettey & JOhnson.

I think we lost creativity from Wes though. He''s less creative out there. I''d be tempted to start next game with the 11 that finished this one. Hoolahan and Becchio are good options to have from the bench just as Kamara and Pilkington were today. All the fuss about subs and Lambert last season is a bit of a red herring to be fair. The only time I remember his subs changing games were when he brought on Holty or Wes. The other point I''d make is that we are playing very good sides every week in this league. This week an exceptionally good side who had only lost 4 games all season. One of the reasons we won, and the one that has been overlooked, is that we kept them down to one goal when they were on top.

but you forget young master nutty that if Hughton had been able to improve our defense then we would not have needed two goals to win

we need to start keeping clean sheets then we will start getting points

ps a few sheets of corrogated iron would go amiss on the Wensum Stand either, bloody freezing in there today

[quote user="Warren Hill"]Absolutely right. When a creative midfielder tries to create they are more likely to lose a few balls because they''re trying to make that "key" pass, open up that space or beat the player to create a chance.

Yet Hoolahan gets caned for it on here. That doesn''t make sense to me.[/quote]I think peoples problem with Wes is he tries 1 step to far or tries to hit a 40 yard through ball when a simple tap to the winger starting a run if far more obvious.Wes on a good day is a world beaterOn a bad day ( like today) a utter frustration

He had a very good game considering he hasn''t started a game for a few months (I think). Hughton talked about resting Tettey for a few games, so he has a real incentive right there to win back his place. On his day Howson is our best central midfielder and most complete.

Agree with the OP. Looked hungry to prove his place in the team (squad?) but perhaps lacking match fitness, which isn''t really surprising.

I''d like to see how Howson and Tetty would link up. Nothing bad to say about Johnson, I just think Tetty is just a wee bit better.

I felt that he got caught a few times in possession, and had the ball nicked off him more than once (by Fellaini). I felt he was missing match sharpness, but that was certainly understandable and forgivable, and I felt Everton''s system made it hard for him in midfield as he and BJ were outnumbered at times.

Overall he did well, and after we equalised, he did 3 great tackles, he will get better for sure.

One thing that got my goat was when Everton were pumping long balls to Fellaini, why didn''t we get someone in front of him, stopping him controlling the ball and laying off a pass, or at least pressurising the pass? That would fall logically, to BJ or Howson, but they were operating under team instructions, but that would have cut off Everton''s strongest supply chain, at source.

It was one of his best games this season and did somethings well and was poor at others.

With Pilkington back to fitness would probably start was in middle ahead of howson in a 442

Howson done a steady job yesterday without being spectacular!

Hes had a poor season but yesterday proved hes a good player to have as back up at least!

Considering he''s had a bad season so far and i''ve been pretty critical of him, i thought he came in and done a good job. Had the problem of Fellaini mostly (thought Johnno would have been better marking him in the middle), but his distribution was better, he didn''t give the ball away half as much as Tettey has lately and kept things ticking over. Wouldn''t say he was hugely influential in an attacking sense but i felt he done a good job covering in the last few minutes whilst everyone else bombed forward (Bassong included).

1. Tettey  needs a bit of a rest, when he first joined us some of his passing was poor, it''s got a lot better as the season progressed but recently I think his concentration hasn''t been so good and his passing has suffered, a few weeks off to think about it will do him some good. The key to our midfield for me yesterday was Jonno, his work rate was immense and he did a great job in preventing us from getting over run, good job the ref didn''t see his tackle on Fellaini though. I have been really disappointed with Howson this season, he has not played that much but he was the one player I thought was going to go on this season and really make an impression in the PL, it just hasn''t happened. Maybe with a few more games under his belt he will begin to show the real quality which I think he possesses. He was caught too often in possession yesterday but that is something that will improve with playing more games.

He does have quality, every city fan OUGHT to know that but of course a lot of fans have goldfish memories that barely stretch beyond the last game.

I think he could be one player to benefit from a switch to 4-4-2 while Wes could be one who loses out.

I thought Howson was fantastic yesterday, obviously he wasn''t 100% match sharp, but he was far better than he has been in previous weeks.I look forward to seeing him getting more game time and improving because he certainly has the potential.

[quote user="a1canary"]He does have quality, every city fan OUGHT to know that but of course a lot of fans have goldfish memories that barely stretch beyond the last game.

I think he could be one player to benefit from a switch to 4-4-2 while Wes could be one who loses out.[/quote]

Howson is definately much better in the 4-4-2 formation as you allude to! Not really got a place in the 4-4-1-1 imo.

4-4-2 allows him to be the box to box man that I think he is most suited too.

Oh please, seriously?? You lot are trying a little bit of leg pulling aren''t you?? This is a joke thread?? Nah, can''t be, it''s not Friday.

Howson was bloody awful!!! Did you lot go to the game of watch some crap stream? FFS. His passing was shite, he lost Fellaini for the whole match and even when he did manage to find him he was brushed off like a 10 year old boy.

Better than Tettey?? God it''s amazing what 2 goals in 10 mins and three points will do to some people''s perspective. Had Tettey been there instead Fellaini would not have had the freedom of Carrow Road for 90 minutes. Only when Everton sat back after the equaliser, did Howson do anything constructive at all!!

[quote user="Scooby"]Oh please, seriously?? You lot are trying a little bit of leg pulling aren''t you?? This is a joke thread?? Nah, can''t be, it''s not Friday.

Howson was bloody awful!!! Did you lot go to the game of watch some crap stream? FFS. His passing was shite, he lost Fellaini for the whole match and even when he did manage to find him he was brushed off like a 10 year old boy.

Better than Tettey?? God it''s amazing what 2 goals in 10 mins and three points will do to some people''s perspective. Had Tettey been there instead Fellaini would not have had the freedom of Carrow Road for 90 minutes. Only when Everton sat back after the equaliser, did Howson do anything constructive at all!![/quote]

Doubt you''ll find many players in the Premier League who Fellaini doesn''t shrug off like a 10 year old boy tbh. He is a man mountain.

I went to the game, and whilst yes some of his passing was poor, and he looked rusty at times, he did show a flashes of the Howson of last season (Shot blocked by Holt first half, and a wonderful little chip into Hoolahan second half, the one where Hoolahan crossed for Kamara to head wide.)

I don''t think he was bloody awful at all

I was at the game, as I am sure that most were.Everton had 5 in the midfield where they were imposing that advantage on us when we, for the first time in a long time only had 4 in the middle of the park and throughout the game, whilst Everton had spells of dominance in the middle of the park, their penetration wasn''t prolific. Ask yourself this... Did Jelavic have a fantastic game? Fellaini was always going to have a good game, he has been touted as the driving force behind Evertons success and teams like Manchester United have changed their style just to keep him under wraps, very unusual for a team like United, whose attitude generally is, we''ll do it our way and you try to stop us.Howson may have lost the ball in certain areas to a team with 1 extra in the middle, a team that are pushing for top 4 and a team that build their play on winning the ball back well in the center. Howson was caught out a few times with this but all round he passed the ball well, got up and down the pitch and put in good challenges when needed. He moved well with the ball and was trying some fantastic momentum building passes, not all of which are going to come off.He is not 100% up to fitness, but is coming up to the boil and did well against a fantastic team with real strength in his part of the pitch.

i cannot see how anyone could say Howson was awful yesterday unless they have an anti Howson agenda. he was not a match winner, but he contributed meaningful and significant moments to the match. overall, his best game this season.

I was looking at Howson this year and had suggested he needed a loan move. Even mused that long term he will not cut it with us. Yesterday was a reminder of why he wears Yellow and Green. Howson was deffinatly one of the stand outs and this was before Mr Kamara stepped onto the pitch.Sure he lost out to Fellani but the bloke is a beast and not a lot of players can cope with him. Skill and aggression combined hes got to be one of the best in the Prem ? No wonder Chelski are polishing off the summer cheque book.