Sign in to follow this  
Saint Canary

Realistic Or Pessimistic?

To be honest I can''t believe the amount of posters who are currently being called "Moaners".  I have no objection in being optimistic before games and optimistic about survival in the Premier League but I just can''t believe that when people talk about negatives they are shot down.  I am what some people would call a "Pessimist" but I feel I am a "Realist".  I congratulate on things done well and point out things done badly, Win, Lose or Draw. 

I take no interest in criticising individual players, the manager etc but I do like to post my opinion about tactics, team selection etc.  If I choose to submit a post suggesting we could do better defensively, what is the point of just replying that I am "Moaner".  It''s a fact that we have the worst defence in the league and it''s not unfair to point it out and to discuss improvements.  This is a forum after all.  If you do not agree then voice your opinion.

So what are you Pessimist, Realist, Optimist or just in denial?

For the record I think we have a great chance of staying up and think we have done reasonably well this season but I do refuse to ignore our weak points.........  I would call myself a Realist.

Hear, hear Saint, well said, I agree totally with you.

I would say I am an optimist before the match, pessimist during the match grumbling at poor balls and bad marking etc (but not out loud) and then a realist afterwards.  Calling it as I see it.   I am definitely not a moaner.

I think we still have a fighting chance of staying up this year, but there are some glaring errors that occur week in week out which need to be ironed out to make this fighting chance a more realistic chance.

Difficult Saint - if we complain about your post then we''re doing what you dislike!!!

Personally I''m with you, Realism is the way forward - we''ve struggled but we''ve lost no dignity, and I think tomorrows result is going to be a big indicator with regards staying up - if we win we bring a 5th team into the equation, and we''ll only be 2 points behind them.

I''m a realist - but a little bit of me is set aside for optimism

oh I also meant to add another point on this.

Before I start please don''t accuse me of newbie bashing, I am not.  I was a newbie not so long ago and this is something that I don''t like to do.

It''s just that I have noticed the majority of posters that are complaining about so called "moaners" are fairly new posters or those that don''t post a lot.  My assumption is that they are trying to remain totally 100% positive to fit in with the theory that they will be accepted as a Canary fan better and possibly quicker that way.  I may be way out on left field here, but that was just a thought and one that I feel I can back up.

When I first joined this excellent forum I too was extremely positive with all of my views (I like to think I still am) and I wouldn''t dare say a bad word about the team or any of its players.   As you get to know the characters on here and realise that we are all here to exchange ideas and opinions it becomes a lot easier to say what you really think, a kind of bedding in process.  Just like starting a new job, you keep to yourself until you get to know everyone and before you know it you are running around the office with your pants outside your trousers just for a laugh   well em anyway..........  You know what I mean right ?

With that thought in mind perhaps we should allow the positive posters to be positive without taking offence at our more honest opinions.  Mind you it''s when people start using harsh statements like  "you must be stupid",   "what game were you watching mate", "are you blind?" etc. etc. that discussions get a little more heated, so implore everyone new and old, please speak to others as you would expect to be spoken to yourself.  Also imagine we are all in a room and you could get a smack in the nose if you are rude before hitting that post reply button

Keeping one’s emotions in check is the hurdle that most of us have to deal with in forming opinions regarding a wide array of issues that confront us in everyday life. When one steps into the role of a football supporter very few things we face in life is as conducive to throwing our realism out with the bathwater. It is an opportunity to let passion come to the forefront, forget our everyday responsibilities, allow every illogical thought to surface, and to do so with thousands of others of a similar breed, thereby avoiding standing alone to be held in contempt for your outrageous views. I doubt there are very few football fans who stand on a box at Hyde Park Corner. I believe I am one of the most realistic posters on this forum ( possibly because I belong on Hyde Park Corner ) and, therefore, smile as I observe some posters call themselves realists as they happily project unrealistic targets of 15 points from the remaining 12 games. I believe most people concede we will get nothing from the games against Chelsea, Arsenal and Manchester United. If that turns out to be the case that would require us to win the equivalent of 5 of the remaining 9 games. A pretty tall order considering our defensive frailties and the fact that we have only won 3 out of the first 26 games. Of course, it’s absolutely possible, but then the correct definition for such an individual is OPTIMIST, not REALIST.

realist with a bout of pessimism in the hope that pessimism stops me from predicting victories and tempting fate to go the other way.

[quote]And I''m in the pesso-realist camp.I believe we can beat Blackburn.I just don''t believe that we will.[/quote]

I''m now firmly in the Oppto thingy camp bananaman. although I haven''t always been if I''m honest!.

I simply have to believe we''re good enough to stay up and I trust completely in Worthy''s ability to keep us up too.

Like many supporters, at the start I wasn''t fond of Nigel as Captain of ''Good Ship City'', but through his actions and record, I can think of no safer pair of hands at the helm than him.

I think to a lot of posters I would be considered a pessimist, but I feel I''m a total realist (as everyone does).I don''t think that all of our youth products are the answer to our prayers (a point that really wrangles with me), I don''t think Worthy is completely faultless all the time, I don''t think we''re going to stay up, I don''t think Jonson has "quality" and I don''t think we''ll beat Blackburn tomorrow.HOWEVER, I do think Worthy is a bloody good manager, I do think we have some good players (Hucks, Greeno, Damo, Charlton), I do think that its not definite that we''re down and I do think if we do go down then we will show our bouncebackability and come straight back up again.There are some great posters in this forum, both positive and negative and that is what makes it great.

I''m a pendulumist.

At times I''m hugely optimistic (about 17.00 last Saturday as an example), at times I''m hugely pessimistic (about the same time just 4 weeks earlier - and all the preciding 90 minutes as well), and at times I''m a realist (about 22.00 last Wednesday week).

To me that is the realism of supporting a club like Norwich - a lifetime sitting on an emotional pendulum.

And I wouldn''t swop it for any other sporting sensation either, because at least you know you''re alive!!

[quote]Keeping one’s emotions in check is the hurdle that most of us have to deal with in forming opinions regarding a wide array of issues that confront us in everyday life. When one steps into the role of ...[/quote]

I take your point Yankee and maybe I am a little more of an optimist than I first thought but 17th has to be a realistic target for City or we might as well not bother turning up to matches.  I don''t know where the 15 points theory has come from but I can''t see any of the bottom 4 picking up 5 wins from their remaining fixtures.

As a side note you are obviously excel with the written word but could you please become more acquainted with the "Return" button on your keyboard?  It comes in very handy for adding paragraphs to large blocks of text.  You use a size 9, emboldened font and I find it a struggle to read through your posts sometimes.

[quote]Keeping one’s emotions in check is the hurdle that most of us have to deal with in forming opinions regarding a wide array of issues that confront us in everyday life. When one steps into the role of ...[/quote]

Just a small point about your post Yankee, no, its not just because you wrote it, I can assure you.

But I for one (and no doubt Worthy and the team) have not conceded (Like some) that we''ll get nothing out of the games against Chelsea, Manure and Arsenal, which after all, is just a pessimistic/realist opinion.

But as you should know, nothing, however unlikely, is impossible in football. Can you recall the phrase ''Its a funny old game'' by Jimmy Greaves?.

Yes, they''re bloody difficult games, but impossible?, no. Luck, a bad injury, an off day by key players or a ludicrous refereeing decisions can all play their part.

Otherwise why bother turning up?. Why not just field a team of reserves?. No, we have a chance, although slim I grant you. A point against any of them may just save us at the end of the season!.

I know Worthy and the team think along these lines, as City supporters, I believe we should too, otherwise what''s the point in supporting the Club?.

Are your points reguired figures, based on our rivals winning all their games?, if that is the case, then surely your arguement applies to them as well, yes?.

I concur with the sentiments that you express Wizard. All things are possible, including matches against the big clubs. My observation more relates to predictions by others of how many points they predict we will achieve ( on another thread ), along with most of those same observers conceding we''ll achieve nothing in the big games. That''s why I challenge the likelihood of achieving the equivalent of 5 wins in the remaining 9 games. I also agree with your closing comment that my thoughts on number of points that are realistic applies to the other strugglers as well.

I do hope that you don''t read into my posts that I have a desire for our club to lose. When someone scores against us I spit bullets, and when we lose my heart sinks. However, when I realistically look at the task in front of us I am able to look at it objectively. I think I will resurrect my post of last September when I had my own prediction of points tally by Norwich to this point. I think I will be within a point or two. Not bad, considering almost five months have elapsed.

my heart sank as well today. Neil Adams described Blackburn as ''Keystone Kops'', a ''shambles'' and ''there for the taking'' We contrived to get a sound thrashing off this poor outfit without once troubling the scoreboard. our defending and goalkeeping was pathetic and non-existant, our passing was attrocious, our finishing was comparable with that of small children. The last 20 minutes sounded like a harlem globetrotter exhibition match, as blackburn of all teams threatened to run up a cricket score, after scoring just three in the last 11 games. It would take a better back 4 than ours to defend this completely indefensible performance, coming after West Ham and Aston Villa. Performances like this against such poor opposition give one precious little to cling to.

After losing today Yankee it looks like your statement of us struggling to win 5 of the last 9 games is spot on.