Sign in to follow this  
Goss93

A sense of perspective

I''ve been reading this message board for a long time - and I have seen plenty of idiotic comments - but never have I seen so many as this evening.And so begins my first ever post to the much vaunted Pink ''Un message board...I know us football fans are a fickle lot, but some of you really do take the biscuit. Today''s result was depressing, yes, embarassing, yes, but ultimately it was proof that the romance of the FA cup hasn''t died. Luton came to Carrow Road with a game plan, executed it, and showed that above all, football is just 11 men vs 11 men. They''ll go back to playing in the conference next week, we, on the other hand, will go back to playing in one of the best leagues in the world. In that league, we are currently 13th, 7 points clear of the relegation zone. Not bad for a team that only came up last season.I read somewhere that the club is at an "all time low". Need I remind you that four years ago, we were in League 1? If we''re at an "all time low", I wonder how fans of Leeds, Ipswich,Wolves or Coventry (all similar size clubs to us) feel?Earlier this week, we were linked with one of the hottest talents in European football, Ricky Van Wolfswinkel. Perhaps Chris Hughton spent more time this week in the transfer market than preparing for the Luton match. I for one am prepared to be knocked out of the FA Cup if the trade-off is signing players of this calibre.I don''t doubt that the last few months of the season will be tough, but there are definitely 3 worse teams than us in the Premier League. QPR were losing 4-0 at home to the Mac Dons earlier. Villa are in freefall. Southampton have got a new manager who barely speaks English. Reading and Wigan struggle to pick up points at the best of times.In conclusion, please look at the bigger picture.PS. Hughton out?! Seriously? It seems some of you want us to become the laughing stock of English football.

Gossy93, I agree with your points about this clearly not being an all time low. From an embarrassment perspective I would struggle to think of a worse day for NCFC but that will be forgotten with a win.

My concern is the deterioration in performances since the turn of the year. The early stages of our losing run were justifiably excusable due to performances being not bad especially considering the standard of opposition (WBA away, Man C home and Chelsea home). We then went in to West Ham away needing a big performance to come away with something but we were dreadful. Since then we have had the gutless showing against a very poor Newcastle and the Liverpool shambles.

The result is that the team''s confidence is falling every week and it is difficult to see where a goal is coming from, let alone a point.

Like you, I cling on to the hope that there are at least three worse teams than us. There could well be, but I think that it will be very close.

To be fair, people have rather lost their sense of perspective - particularly when you consider there will be probably only 2-3 of today''s team starting our next league game. You''d have expected/hoped for far better from our second string today, but perhaps some were just a bit ''rusty'' to perform at the level you''d get if they''d played week in week out - though they should still have seen off a non league side.

We are on a poor run of results, but prior to last week for me our actual form was reasonable: the run of fixtures was always likely to result in some poor results, such things happen in this league; what we need is to get back the decent home form and I don''t see why it can''t happen with the likes of Tettey, Holt, Bassong, Whittaker, Snodgrass and Turner coming back.

[quote user="RUDOLPH HUCKER"]Why are squad players so rusty? Is it the same reason too many first choice players burnt out over Christmas?[/quote]
I think the elimination of the Premier Leagues reserve league in favour of an u-21 (plus three over-age) has something to do with it.

Branstonstated:

You''d have expected/hoped for far better from our second string today,

Why do you refer to them as our ''second string'' - they are SQUAD players for a premier league team, and all but two have prem experience and should be expected to be able to play and beat a conference team! Holt, Hoolahan, Pilkington, Jackson, Howson, Garrifo, Martin (top scorer), Barnett, Bennett, Bennett E particularly.

Your quote, used by many today, is a complete and utter nonsense in defending an absolutely shocking performance from a NCFC side, managed by a manager who has little idea technically and tactically as results have shown ALL season.

All season when we are currently 13th, 7 points clear from the drop zone, which I''m sure we''d all have taken at this stage of the season if offered it at the start.

Problem is, instead of having mixed bag of results, we''ve been poor, decent, poor, which makes it seem worse. Had we got our points more evenly it wouldn''t have seemed so bad.

Yeah just what city 2nd said, except for that 10 game unbeaten run, and getting further in the league cup for 18 years.

Our manager has no idea technically and tatically, except for the decent league position we find ourselves in 7 points off 9th place and 7th off relegation, it''s not like he has been able to turn us into a mid-table side over the course of one season is it....

His past record at Newcastle and Birmingham was equally abysmal, getting a side promoted and leaving them in 11th, and challenging for a play of place whilst competing in Europe with exceptionally tight budget and in both cases a turbulent period of ownership''s.

Yes let''s sack the manager, how dare he continue our terrible run in the FA cup, we should be expecting to get at least a place in the semi''s going on our recent history......

Now let''s all calm down, have a cup of tea (although I would probably have to suggest something stronger and herbal for half of you lot!), wait till the windows over, and maybe have another dig at the side when we lose to Man Utd away.