Sign in to follow this  
dpit

If you are wrong...

will you hold your hand up at the end of the season and say "Imade a bit of a nana of myself after we lost to Luton when I went ballistic in the message board?" I think many wouldn''t. They will be too busy bathing in the achievement (and achievement it would be) of staying up.

Me? I''ve seen enough of us and others to think we need to think we''ll be alright. Today was awful. But Man U, Arsenal et al were brilliant. We need to keep strong. If I''m wrong I will be here in the spring holding my hands up.

Gladly. With hindsight, if we stay up, I''ll apologise. But right now we''re on a terrible run, our performances are shocking, and the only reason we''re not nearer the relegation zone is because there are other teams around us that haven''t benefited from a  flukey run yet. The moment they start to pick up points we''re screwed, as right now I don''t trust that Hughton has any gameplan designed to actually WIN a football match.

I don''t think there are such things as right or wrong on something such as opinion. Thats all this board is mainly opinion. My opinion is personally i don''t like Hughton i don''t like his interviews i don''t like his team selection i don''t like his style of play. He is very dignified and polite but you need to be ruthless to be a top manager.

So what classes as a success this season? staying in the league? for me no a success would only be building on the position we finished last year which is 11th. If we match our final position last year this then i will happily admit i was wrong and wear a borat mankini to the last game of the season but something tells me i am pretty safe

I don''t think we''ll be relegated, yet I don''t think we''ll stay up... I''m basically taking it game by game. I''m not psychic or anything to that effect so I don''t know if we will or won''t. Will I apologise for going ballistic after this performance? Nay, not just this performance this MONTH. No, I won''t - because the club are unapologetic about the performances. I have a right to my words and my opinion and vent on here I shall when the team I invest money in fails to deliver any sort of result or performance.

Hannibal, why I agree with your definition of success, and thats what I have always wanted, and still do want it isn''t necessarily the most realistic of aims.

The board decided to go down a different route, we could have brought in Holloway and played the same as we did last year, but we brought in Hughton who has a different style and philosophy. One you don''t like, fine, but its what the board wanted at the time, and until they sack him (if) then its still what they want.

All of our signings bar Butterfield under Hughton have added to the stability of the side, when Garrido, Whittaker, Bassong, Turner, Tettey and Snodgrass have all played, we''ve only lost the once (to WBA, I think they all played then) its clear Bassong is a very key player, Whittaker is pretty key as well, something we have learn''t as his two spells out injured have conveniently coincided with our two poor spells.

Its all very well saying key players are missing, why isn''t there the back up? Well in my opinion, the answer to that is, the players Lambert brought in aren''t up to Hughton''s standard. Its been clear he''s not been overly keen to give Howson, Fox, Bennett, Jackson, Tierney etc much game time, even when every single fan was crying out for a sub after an hour in certain games. Hughton likes his preferred XI and he likes it so much that, again, in my opinion, he doesn''t rate many of the back up players as being capable to fill in.

If we had more money, i''d expect a number of players to have been moved on in the summer and this window, and a few more signed up. We don''t have that money. Hughton is part of a project that will take some time to complete.

Hannibal II wrote:

"So what classes as a success this season? staying in the league? for me

no a success would only be building on the position we finished last

year which is 11th. If we match our final position last year this then i

will happily admit i was wrong and wear a borat mankini to the last

game of the season but something tells me i am pretty safe."If you seriously think pure survival is not a success then expect a visit soon from some men in white coats with a long-sleeved garmentThis team was assembled for peanuts, is worth little more now, & has performed miracles over the past several years. Our promotions engendered a terrific self-belief & team spirit that surprised a lot of teams last year. We could not continue at that level.How many of our players would make the first team at other Prem clubs? How many come knocking on our door for their services?Hughton is trying to bring in higher calibre players - still on a restricted budget. It''s not just a question of skill, too many of our players are easily knocked off the ball, lose out when they go in for a tackle.It''s very difficult for Hughton. He''s got to find a way of getting us through this season, knowing how limited we are. I suspect that''s what makes him so circumspect in attack; it seems pretty obvious his plan is to make us as solid as possible & launch counter attacks whenever possible. Unfortunately, as our back-up players showed today, that plan rapidly unravels when our best players are missing.Survival is ALL that matters. For this year at least.

[quote user="Gingerpele"]Hannibal, why I agree with your definition of success, and thats what I have always wanted, and still do want it isn''t necessarily the most realistic of aims. The board decided to go down a different route, we could have brought in Holloway and played the same as we did last year, but we brought in Hughton who has a different style and philosophy. One you don''t like, fine, but its what the board wanted at the time, and until they sack him (if) then its still what they want. All of our signings bar Butterfield under Hughton have added to the stability of the side, when Garrido, Whittaker, Bassong, Turner, Tettey and Snodgrass have all played, we''ve only lost the once (to WBA, I think they all played then) its clear Bassong is a very key player, Whittaker is pretty key as well, something we have learn''t as his two spells out injured have conveniently coincided with our two poor spells. Its all very well saying key players are missing, why isn''t there the back up? Well in my opinion, the answer to that is, the players Lambert brought in aren''t up to Hughton''s standard. Its been clear he''s not been overly keen to give Howson, Fox, Bennett, Jackson, Tierney etc much game time, even when every single fan was crying out for a sub after an hour in certain games. Hughton likes his preferred XI and he likes it so much that, again, in my opinion, he doesn''t rate many of the back up players as being capable to fill in. If we had more money, i''d expect a number of players to have been moved on in the summer and this window, and a few more signed up. We don''t have that money. Hughton is part of a project that will take some time to complete.[/quote]

excellent post

I would love for Hughton and the team to prove me wrong and I''ll happily come and eat my humble pie...
Sadly at the moment I just don''t see it happening, where''s the reasons to be cheerful thread when you need it...

I''m not going to be wrong at the end of the season... we were shockingly bad today. What we do in future games isn''t going to change the fact we were absolutely dire today. Stay up, great. We''ll still have been shocking in the 4th round FA cup game against Luton though.

Staying up in the league is and should be the minimum requirement for our manager. I do not believe making the minimum requirement is a success which is what was asked. Success would be improving on what had gone before. That was 11th so anything less is a backward step in my own opinion. Swansea do not seem to have struggled to improve on last season so i do not see why we should be content with second best.

Swansea is a very different test, and many on here thought Laudrup was a gamble, and the gamble has landed.

Naturally, having played for Barca/Madrid in Spain, and being a living legend there, he has a whole stack of contacts and has used it well.

I have been mighty impressed how they have overcome the selling of Sinclair, not so much Allen, never rated him.

However, we should be focusing on NCFC and whilst Swansea might be having a good season, we aren''t having that bad a season ourselves. This run will come to an end, and will secure our place in the league.

This whole debate, it''s only 7points. But the reality is unfortunately about 12pts will seperate 3rd bottom from 10th/11th most seasons, and every side in between that, will never be that far away from relegation. It is what it is, and we need to embrace that. It will be a very similar position next year, go on a bad run and yes you could be in trouble.

i would be less concerned if we picked up points more consistently rather than all or nothing periods. i would of happily swapped the unbeaten run for a more even spread of results. Why because it shows we have the mental toughness to bounce back from a bad result

I have been ashamed of how we have played after at least 7 of our 30 competitive games. I am not talking about expecting to win some of these games i have a lot of tolerance for losing when we make a good game out of it but thats the problem we haven''t even been at the races in a lot of games this season and its the same old excuses. I am fed up of hearing about the quality every other team in the league has. I wanted to throw my remote at the tv yesterday after Hughtons interview where he basically said Luton were too good for us to brake down. I do not agree with that at all our tactics made it hard to brake them down by not ever going at them at any point in the game.

As for Swansea they have for the last 5-6 years gone for managers all in the same vein. Started with Martinez, Sousa, Rogers, Laudrup (don''t think i''ve missed anyone) They have kept the same footballing style of management which has worked for them i don''t understand why we haven''t followed suit and gone for a style which we have become used too.

Yesterday was embarrasing, we were cr*p, deserved the end result and shows how much reinforcing with proper Premiership quality we need. Thats the truth, nothing will change that!

I''ve also not gone overboard saying the managers got to go, we''re doomed and not forgotton that 17th place will be a success, anything higher will be a bonus!

I''ve got nowt on this subject to admit I''m wrong about!