Sign in to follow this  
Mellow Yellow

Chris Hughton's job should not be an issue !!

Some people need to get a grip. Horrible result yes, but in a nutshell it''s one game and these things sometimes happen, simple as that. We even beat the great Bayern Munich once. Anyone who remembers the 60''s will know what real supporting despair is, languishing in mid-table Division 2 year after year with gates of 7000. A few of us have been there...have the current moaners?Chris Hughton is a good manager, he has proved it over seasons and he does not become a bad one in a few games. We are in the most competitive league in Europe and he is as good a mangager that we can expect to have to keep us in it. Who else would we get? Think about that...apart from a handful of managers that can guarantee success (we would never afford them or get them) the rest would be a gamble and changing manager now would be knee jerk and could be disastrous. Hughton needs time to build his own team, he is only halfway there at best. Lambert kept us up last year on momentum alone and we would have gone down this year with him. Under the circumstances I believe Chris Hughton has actually over achieved so far this season.I believe he will keep us up and even if we did happen to go down I would vote to keep him as he would bring us back up. He has talent and he has integrity...he will be hurting more than anyone right now.I trust the board keep faith and hope the moaners get real...

Completely agree. As I put on another thread;

it beggars belief how short some peoples'' memories are. Of the back 5 who beat Man U, only one of them is fit (Garrido). Of those back 5, Hughton recruited 4 of them.

Similar story to the Arsenal victory, although Martin was at right back.

If you''re going to criticise Hughton, at least be objective. The injuries to his back line is what''s causing the problems. Surely anyone can see that? Apparently not.

Another person with a bit of sense, I am on the fence at the moment tbh, we NEED a couple of players in before the end of the window.

If we were to get rid of Hughton I can see us going down, it would mean the new manager coming in and building there team and then spending even more money.

Look where United could be now if they were to have gotten rid of Sir Alex when he first started.

I agree totally  and in fact apart from Kane loan and Garrido non of the shower that started yesterday were  his signings. I have total confidence in his abiliity to identify better players to bring to this club, the pace at which he will be able to do this is dependent upon how much the club back him. I do not think we will realise many funds from off loading the dead wood and i cannot see this being done until the summer as we clearly need some cover when the first choice players are not available. I suspect a lot of the players who started yesterday know in their hearts that their days at this club are numbered

Sorry MY, good post but how has CH proved he s a good manager. Taking Newcastle to the premiership via one promotion with an immense squad of premiership players! Many managers have had a promotion similar in experience, that doesn''t make them good managers. Winning matches and competitions consistently with good man management skills, coaching skills and technical ability makes a good manager.

It isn''t just about one game either, the goals for and against are stats that cannot lie. Answer me this, why has Holt only scored four goals this season. Whilst CH may need time to build a side, like all other prem managers outside the top 6 he will not get it, the financial rewards available in the prem do not allow time for such things now, results and maintaining premiership status is the be all and end all for all current prem clubs this season. Failure is not in the manifesto at all.

In a nutshell it''s not one game it''s a run of games Newcastle at home uninspiring, Liverpool away uninspiring, Luton total disgrace and thats just recently. I wrote earlier in the season that a Newcastle fan had told me that Hughton was sacked at Newcastle because of uninspiring football and I can see the way we are going. The way we are playing at present I cannot see where the next point is coming from let alone the next win - hopefully they will prove me wrong. Perhaps over the last three seasons we have been spoilt but the defence has been improved and we have still let in more goals. Yesterday against non league opponents we had four shots on target and scored no goals they had two shots on target and scored once.

I have supported the club through thick and thin since the mid fifties, have witnessed the blanket being taken round for contributions to keep the club going now being asked to pay above inflation increase for a season ticket to watch a team that couldn''t break down a non league club tactics or tictacs.

If Hughton''s job is not an issue then when will it be. 

[quote user="ridgeman"]

In a nutshell it''s not one game it''s a run of games Newcastle at home uninspiring, Liverpool away uninspiring, Luton total disgrace and thats just recently. I wrote earlier in the season that a Newcastle fan had told me that Hughton was sacked at Newcastle because of uninspiring football and I can see the way we are going. The way we are playing at present I cannot see where the next point is coming from let alone the next win - hopefully they will prove me wrong. Perhaps over the last three seasons we have been spoilt but the defence has been improved and we have still let in more goals. Yesterday against non league opponents we had four shots on target and scored no goals they had two shots on target and scored once.

I have supported the club through thick and thin since the mid fifties, have witnessed the blanket being taken round for contributions to keep the club going now being asked to pay above inflation increase for a season ticket to watch a team that couldn''t break down a non league club tactics or tictacs.

If Hughton''s job is not an issue then when will it be. 

[/quote]

Hughton''s job is not an issue then when will it be....

When McNally and the board think it is

Ridgeman the uninspiring football is due to the calibre of players. Yesterday proved it.

I agree the signings he has made have lifted our midfield and defence to a better level. Whittaker, bassong and garrido clearly are stronger.

The midfield is a step up and I truely believe we need to up it again in the summer. We need strikers now and I believe we have done some work and bids in place.

It is the fact that the calibre of player is not up to the standard a lot of our fans think they are. I don''t think there are any of our players apart from those brought in by Hughton that another premiership club would look at.

We stayed up last season on work ethic, holty and Morison scoring important goals. This season we have team spirit, a better calibre of playEr in a few positions, but misfiring strikers.

Stay up this season and the overhaul can begin. There are plenty of players who would not be first choice at a top 6 championship club, yesterday proved it.

Totally embarrassing result that we''ll be reminded about for years now and we''re also on a cr*p run!

But at the start of the season we''d of all took 7 points of the bottom 3 at this stage!

I''d very much doubt we''d be any better of had the unmentionable one stayed!

Getting rid of Hughton now would most likely result in a negative outcome, I predict Southampton to down spiral now!

If we avoid relegation this season it will be job done and then Hughton will have the summer and more funds to improve a squad which is in obvious need of doing so!

I think Hughton has changed things too much, too quickly. He was right to tighten up, but we maybe could have tried to play a bit more to our attacking strengths. He also should have worked on last season''s weaknesses such as retaining possession and attacking down the middle.

The smaller/poorer teams done well over the medium/long term in the Premiership tend to be the ones that stick with their manager. Look at Wigan, Stoke, Everton & Fulham.

We only need to look at Wolves last season to see what can happen if you change managers on the back of a bad run at this point in the season. That change not only ensured they got relegated, but also have probably ensured that they won''t be back for several seasons.

I think only the knee jerk extremists and trolls actually want him out. It would be pretty suicidal to sack him in 13th place and with less than 5 days of the transfer window remaining.

Criticising his performance as manager is something different and there will be lots of conflicting opinion on his performance. I think most are well within there rights to be unhappy with elements of his management teams performance, even if they are happy with our current league position.

We all agree the team should always be looking to improve and we should continue to bring in better players. You would expect the performance of the management team to continue to improve as they settle as well.

Maybe they are yellow, but they are Hughtons team, he obviously wanted them here, they are not McNally''s appointments so their performance is also the managers responsibility.

If he needs more coaches they should be brought in, if the guys he has aren''t good enough, well then he needs to man up and replace them.

Its feeble though for anyone to say its the coaches fault, they are a management team, but he is the leader, if they are not performing its for him to sort out.

City 2nd -Answer me this, why has Holt only scored four goals this season.Answers:He has been injured or carrying an injuryLast year Lambert was more gung ho...he might have scored more but this year we would have got (more) murdered in gamesHe got his contract...less motivation, foot off the pedalMissed a lot of half chances that would have gone in last yearDefenders have sussed him out...its much tougher 2nd yearHe was luckier last year...simple asNeed any more?

I don''t remember many chances that Holt has missed. The fact is when balls have been coming into the box, he''s been off running the channels as per his instructions from CH. Which is fine when others are in there to finish instead but seems ridiculous when our only proven goalscorer is on the wing and we''re not scoring goals. Almost reminiscent of the situation Holt was in at Nottingham Forest when Colin Calderwood was manager there...

1st, I respect your view.But one Newcastle fan is not a fair representation...I have heard many (and from Birmingham) who rate him very highly. In my view his job should only be an issue if we go down and then do not look like coming up again...I don''t think that will happen. Or if we play crap football week in week out...which we don''t.

["Mellow Yellow"]City 2nd -Answer me this, why has Holt only scored four goals this season.

Answers:
He has been injured or carrying an injury
Last year Lambert was more gung ho...he might have scored more but this year we would have got (more) murdered in games
He got his contract...less motivation, foot off the pedal
Missed a lot of half chances that would have gone in last year
Defenders have sussed him out...its much tougher 2nd year
He was luckier last year...simple as

Need any more?

How many chances has Holt had and missed this season? - Answer very very few!

The more offensive game Hughton plays has without doubt nullifyed Holt!

We''re still better with Holt in the team end of!

Ridgeman - ''run of games Newcastle at home uninspiring, Liverpool away uninspiring, Luton total disgrace and thats just recently''

Thats just recently?

That is ALL that has been worrying recently, a bad day at the office at Newcastle with no Holt for most of the game.

A terrible performance away at Liverpool with no Bassong.

And a sh*t performance against Luton which was probably no worse than MK Dons last season.

So three games, and Hughton should be gone?

Uninspiring football sometimes, yes, but remember Sunderland? Remember the Chelsea performance last season at home? Wasn''t the most exciting game was it?

Wish all our fans would just calm down a bit, this reaction is unbelievably OTT

[quote user="Wing Wang Otter"]Ridgeman - ''run of games Newcastle at home uninspiring, Liverpool away uninspiring, Luton total disgrace and thats just recently''

Thats just recently?

That is ALL that has been worrying recently, a bad day at the office at Newcastle with no Holt for most of the game.

A terrible performance away at Liverpool with no Bassong.

And a sh*t performance against Luton which was probably no worse than MK Dons last season.

So three games, and Hughton should be gone?

Uninspiring football sometimes, yes, but remember Sunderland? Remember the Chelsea performance last season at home? Wasn''t the most exciting game was it?

Wish all our fans would just calm down a bit, this reaction is unbelievably OTT[/quote]
Oh sweet Jesus! I''d forgotten about that game! Christ, that almost makes the Luton game acceptable. almost.

So some of you guys are happy playing a lone striker and making subs at minutes 80  , 85 and 92 when 2-0 down at half time ?Get real, Hughton needs to wake up or walk out. I would expect patience is wearing thin.

[quote user="Nexus_Canary"] So some of you guys are happy playing a lone striker and making subs at minutes 80  , 85 and 92 when 2-0 down at half time ?Get real, Hughton needs to wake up or walk out. I would expect patience is wearing thin.[/quote]
Depends on how the system is set up. A lone striker system with a creative trio of Hoolahan, Pilkington and Snodgrass with plenty of movement and intelligence? Yes 
A lone striker system featuring 3 defensive midfielders and defensive minded wide players? No
Just because you play a one striker system doesn''t mean your football is inherently negative, look at yesterday. A two striker system hardly produced an all out offensive performance did it? 

I agree Fry, one up front can still be productive and attacking. The issue is that under Hughton it never is. He can''t even make two up front against non-leaguers look attacking because he is so unbearably pessimistic and untrusting of our players and won''t let them get forward to support the forwards.

[quote user="Canary02 IV"]I agree Fry, one up front can still be productive and attacking. The issue is that under Hughton it never is. He can''t even make two up front against non-leaguers look attacking because he is so unbearably pessimistic and untrusting of our players and won''t let them get forward to support the forwards.[/quote]
Anyone remember that Swansea game we won 3-4 after scoring 3 goals in the first half or did I just imagine that?

Set pieces and horrendous defending by Swansea. Snodgrass free-kick, Bassong header from a set piece, Holt header from a free kick. We don''t create chances from open play. And other than that one game when have we scored more than twice?

I think you are wrong i am sorry to say. Hughtons job should be on the line and the fear of failure should be a superb motivation for a manager. Unfortunately i don''t think he has done our club justice. I have based my opinion on him over more than half a season so far. I am the first to admit i didn''t want him in the first place but i was prepared to give him a chance. Which for me he has and and not taken.

I have been ashamed to be a city fan after at least 6 results this season. Having only played 30 competitive games this to me is an alarming amount.

Fulham away 5-0 says it all really

Liverpool home and away never turned up in either game

Chelsea Away as above

Villa at home represented our best chance for winning a major cuo competition in over 20 years and we didn''t take it seriously at all.

Luton at home first team in 27 years to lose at home as a top flight team to a non league side.

With the above it is not just the losses that irk me its the manor of it. We never had the same fight and heart as we have had before. I do not expect us to beat Liverpool or Chelsea but i expect us to at least give a good account of ourselves. These combined with the performance against the likes of West Ham away, Newcaslle at home West Brom away i could go on make me not want him to be the manager.

I have got to the stage where if we go a goal down i think "well thats game over then cause we are not going to score two goals a game." where as before i had faith we could pull it back

Ok MY, nothing to do with the service he receives them and the persistent tactics of playing one up top as Hughton does home and away, And looking at Holt''s stats, one of his worst seasons to date under several managers, one of his other previous poor seasons being with Calderwood at Forest who sold him!

Apart from that the bloke has been prolific a all levels, so you must be right then, Holt''s fault and nothing to do with Hughton, his man management, tactics and coaching of us staff?

There are certainly issues with the current football management at Carrow Road but remember we are a work in progress, something which won''t be completed after another 2-3 seasons in the top flight when we''ve wiped all our debts out, got a squad with much more Premiership quality and rebuilt the ground to hold 30,000+!

If Hughton keeps us up this season he would have done his job for this season!