Sign in to follow this  
Year of the tiger

Trouble is Hughton never believed in our players

The existing ones. He said after Fulham the reason we played so negatively was they had better players. True it might be but what does it do to the squads confidence. The last three seasons a lot of the suces was confidence amd team spirit. I see prescoous little of either now

What baffles me is everyone saying he switched to 442, but we still had two holding midfielder''s!! His reluctance to change this could be our downfall. Other teams have found us out. They can set there midfield higher up the pitch and pin us back.

Absolutely Jedi. His own fear of conceding is preventing us scoring. We need at least one of those midfielders to get forward and help the forwards. We have no options around the box when attacking.

if this is true, then why did he take the job as he must have known he couldnt replace all of them in one go surely?

[quote user="jedi"]What baffles me is everyone saying he switched to 442, but we still had two holding midfielder''s!! His reluctance to change this could be our downfall. Other teams have found us out. They can set there midfield higher up the pitch and pin us back.[/quote]Think all our players are having to deal with this ''defensive mindset''.  When Tettey first appeared on the scene he looked an exciting prospect who could go on runs and have a pop at goal.  Where has that gone in the last few games?????

Agree with Jedi, it is all about playing two holding midfielders and Hughton''s resistance to changing it. Only once did one of our central midfielders make a run beyond the forwards yesterday. I don''t think it''s the players but Hughton has clearly told them to sit and not push forward.

The fear of losing has meant that when we do lose the reaction is to become even more conservative. If we play with freedom again we will be fine.