Sign in to follow this  
Citizen Journalist Foghorn

R Bennett and Howson

Looks like Lambert left use with a couple of real dud signings from last years transfer window.

R Bennet has shown nothing that makes me think he will ever make the grade at this level. At £3,000,000 he could be our most expensive flop ever. Howson, after a lively couple of games when he first arrived, looks appalling this season.

Good on Hughton for improving the squad with the likes of Garrido, Bassong, Turner, Whittaker, Snodgrass and Tettey.

How dare you make a reasonable post CJF. Aren''t u as outraged as everyone else that our reserves lost in a cup we were never going to win (and would have given us extra fixtures when we should be 100% focussed on survival)?

I''m afraid that hiding our imeptitudes under the heading "It would just create too many fixtures" very much glosses over our real problems.We can play like this until the cows come home we will not generate enough points to avoid relegation. I watched Aston Villa against Millwall the other night and they performed at a level streets ahead of this rubbish.That should give you an idea of our problems.

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"]Looks like Lambert left use with a couple of real dud signings from last years transfer window. R Bennet has shown nothing that makes me think he will ever make the grade at this level. At £3,000,000 he could be our most expensive flop ever. Howson, after a lively couple of games when he first arrived, looks appalling this season. Good on Hughton for improving the squad with the likes of Garrido, Bassong, Turner, Whittaker, Snodgrass and Tettey.[/quote]

[Y]

OTBC

[quote user="Derby Canary"]I''m afraid that hiding our imeptitudes under the heading "It would just create too many fixtures" very much glosses over our real problems.We can play like this until the cows come home we will not generate enough points to avoid relegation. I watched Aston Villa against Millwall the other night and they performed at a level streets ahead of this rubbish.That should give you an idea of our problems.[/quote]
Is that the same Aston Villa team containing 6 of their first choice 11 with 18million pound Darren Bent up front being one of the ones brought into the team, along with international goalkeeper Shay Given also being one brought in?

Compared to our team today with Garrido, a kid with little experience in goal, and 3 first team players coming off the bench for a combined total of 85mins. Maybe R Martin could be classed as first choice at a push, but he''s only starting cuz 1st choice Whittaker is injured so isn''t our best player at that position.
Our reserves are crap, but they are an entirely different team to our first 11. The only first choice player who started was Garrido. Additionally, many of them are leftovers from Lg1 and champs, whereas Villa haven''t had that problem.
Villas semi-first choice 11, with an added international goalkeeper and 18million pound striker is better than our team of 90% reserve players left over from the Lambert era. My god, definitely time for panic stations then.Are you incapable of rational thought and logic, or do you just enjoy the attention from posting nonsense? Of course Villa''s team performed better seeing as they cost around 40million to assemble and include proven premiership players, 6 of their starting 11 and various internationals.... and ours cost maybe 8 or so mill to put together, 1 first teamer (2 if you count Cafu), and 2 internationals (Russ and Simeon).

bitterly dissappointed with Howson, at the end of last season It looked as though he could do a little bit of everything............now it look as though he can do a little bit of nothing?, can''t pass,tackle or shoot, looking reminiscent of Crofts who was the one player last season who looked out of his depth coming up from the Championship. Any chance of a swap deal with Becchio??

And what about the likes of Fox and E. Bennett? Lots on here demanded they be given a start in our league games to turn around our poor recent run. I did not see many defence splitting passes or crosses yesteday.

Logically it''s more likely that the team was poorly and inappropriately prepared tactically, than 11 individual players, the majority of whom have played at a high standard for us before, all had simultaneous off days.

Especially when you consider that a very different starting 11 had off days in our last match. And the match before that. The constant factor in these games is the manager and the tactics.

I think it has something to do with the change in management. Under Lambert, Bennett was being turned into a traditional centre-back, he couldn''t do much with the ball but he could do all the defensive work you''d expect from a centre-back (strong in the air, decent positionally etc.) and Howson was being molded into a deep-lying playmaker. An often forgotten fact is that most of Howsons performances last season were at the base of a midfield diamond, where he looked to spread the play and offer passing options, essentially turning into a younger, more mobile, Fox. Under Hughton it seems he wants Bennett to be more composed on the ball (asking him to pass his way out of trouble, playing him with a less technically adept player) and wants him to play a higher line than he seems comfortable with. At the same time, he wants Howson to revert to a more box-to-box role. He wants vertical movement, decent passing, and a willingness to shoot.
For me at least, I think that they''re stuck in transition at the moment, and their performances reflect that. I feel that a loan move (perhaps back to P''boro for Bennett and maybe Palace or Bolton for Howson) might be a good idea, it''ll help them get back in touch with the kind of player they are and bring them back next season ready to go and more able to fit into Hughtons system. 

Agree with the OP re R Bennett - I knew he was a player that needed to improve when he arrived, but there have not been any signs of improvement, or any signs that playing alongside better centre halves (Bassong, Turner) has had any positive effect on his development.

Re Howson, I think he has only been played this season in a midfield system that fails. Tettey and Johnson have the benefit of Hoolahan playing in front of them every week. I guarantee you those two would be having similar seasons to Howson if Wes had not constantly been making himself available to them both as a forward option.

Our flat-4 midfield (i.e. a 4-4-2 without anyone in the ''hole'' behind Holt) this season has been woeful - we look like we have no idea how to get the ball from midfield to our strikers. When Wes plays we link the two more often, but perhaps not often or well enough to be able to dominate a game.

I think we''d have had a different result yesterday if our starting line-up had been a diamond midfield, instead of a flat 4. The ball would have moved forward more easily and our class on the ball would have shown.

I want to defend Howson generally, as towards the end of last season he was looking good. However this season he hasn''t looked anywhere near where he was under lambert. Although a lot of players aren''t where they were performance wise this season under Hughton.

Have to say I am not impressed with Bennett but playing with Barnett is a recipe for inviting defeat.

Ryan Bennett like all our other CB''s bar Bassong, look OK to good when they are lined up alongside Bassong but without him looks lost at times!

Howson looked promising last season but under Hughton and different formations has had next to no impact and makes you wonder what all the fuss was about!

Both need to improve without a doubt!

Few more senior playErs I would happily see leave before these two.

As one poster mentioned there have been cries out for eb and fox to play and both yesterday did nothing to show they are worthy of a place in a premiership first 11.

Think Howson has got class and we are not utilising and that Bennett will improve greatly. Both will be at there best in a few years time. So they just need to develop, no one has been calling for them to start unlike the two aforementioned sj and possibly Surman.

Happily see fox and sj move on now.

[quote user="Canary02 IV"]Logically it''s more likely that the team was poorly and inappropriately prepared tactically, than 11 individual players, the majority of whom have played at a high standard for us before, all had simultaneous off days.

Especially when you consider that a very different starting 11 had off days in our last match. And the match before that. The constant factor in these games is the manager and the tactics.[/quote]Yes, tactics are important but to be honest any eleven squad players that NCFC put out against any non-League team should be able to play better than that with no fixed tactics at all.That''s not showing any disrespect to Luton who stuck to a rigorous plan but needed to if they were to have any hope of causing an upset.The gulf in league standings should have been far more apparent than it turned out to be on the day.

I thought wes and pilks did ok when they came on - but not one of the others deserved their pay.

Bennett and howson were woeful but everyone of the other outfield players were as bad - from the norfolk cafu through to holt. lacking movement, committment, creativity or a spark.

Every single player yesterday has started a premier game. Thats not a poor side - yet they played like strangers being forced to play.

Each player did have little moments of adequateness - fox tackled more in teh first 5 minutes than BJ in 2 games, Howson looked imperious, Bennett & barnett were generally unflustered (excellent movement for their winner) bennett put a cross in, holt had his header, both jackson and kane had shots. But that was not enough and we got what we deserved.

more importantly luton got the win their tactics, passion and effort deserved.

Ryan Bennett is a player bought by Lambert for his potential I believe. Yesterday he was awful. Hesitant and panicked when under pressure. Never thought I would say we missed Turner. Howson seemed to play too deep and I agree with other posts which comment on the fact that he,offensively can be very good. What we discovered is that he is not a holding midfielder. My opinion, and that is what we all have, is that Kane,Jackson,Fox,Ryan Bennett, Barnett,Surman are not good enough for the Premier League. We are still a decent side when we have our first eleven on the pitch. What yesterday proved was our back up isn''t good enough. For me it''s not about spending £12m on one player. Curtis Davies £2m, Liam Bridcutt £3m, Hooper or Graham at £6_7 m plus another forward with something to prove,maybe the kid from the state''s would see us through. One thing for sure is that we certainly need to give a few a kick up the jacksy

Howson has been awful all season and it was no co-incidence that out 10 match unbeaten run co-incided with Tetty being brought into the team and him being dropped. I also can''t see this constant harping back at how well he did last year. He had flashes of good play but was annonomous for large parts of the game. Thats just not good enough for sucg an important position.

I have to agree,for me Jackson Kane ,Barnett and howson all need to go how many chances do they need I was shocked how bad Bennett was and fox looks heavy and leggy due to his time out ,he needs games .

Fingers crossed we buy some energy players

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"]Looks like Lambert left use with a couple of real dud signings from last years transfer window. R Bennet has shown nothing that makes me think he will ever make the grade at this level. At £3,000,000 he could be our most expensive flop ever. Howson, after a lively couple of games when he first arrived, looks appalling this season. Good on Hughton for improving the squad with the likes of Garrido, Bassong, Turner, Whittaker, Snodgrass and Tettey.[/quote]

I''ve questioned these signings before. Our form after last January was not that great and I don''t see where either has taken us forward at all. In fact it could be argued that only Pilkington of Lambert''s premier signings has produced. Of course football isn''t as simple as that and Ryan Bennett still has time on his side. The other point I made yesterday was about the possibility that the Lambert signings, who found themselves out of the Hughton''s picture, may not be giving as much for him as they did Lambert. But whatever, all this goes to show that Lambert and Hughton must have been grateful to inherit Holty and Wes. Thanks to Roeder and Gunny[:^)] Perhaps it pays not to analyse stuff to deeply [:S]