Sign in to follow this  
can u sit down please

What has Hughton impressed you with?

I am genuinely interested to know, how has hughton impressed you?

Being honest, he wasn''t my first choice but you accept that he is our manager & back him.

I find it hard to really list anything, apart from "he''s dignified" and I like his use of the foreign market.

Tactically I am far from impressed and I think we show teams far too much respect.

What has stuck out to you?

He''s signed 5 players of a quality above, and when given time to complete his squad in the summer he will have assembled a team ready to establish itself.

He''s taken us 7 points clear of the drop and taken us on our longest even ubeaten run in the Premier League since the 1980''s. But people seem to have conveniently forgotten this.

His continuing ability to steal headlines from Lambert. Every time Villa lose Hughton is able to do something worse here.

I cant think of anything he has brought thats positive.

We were told by the happy clappers he will bring a more solid deffensive edge to our play, umm thats worked out well hasnt it !!

And if people are only going to talk about the quality players he has brought, perhaps, just perhaps, he should be head scout instead of manager ?

And what has happened to the good players we already owned ? They look a different set of players to the ones that had no fear last year.

Iam going to sit back and listen to the happy clappers run out there list of much awsomeness team Hughton has brought to our club !!

And the list of pathetic excuses such as its not his team etc etc.

[quote user="the1englishman"]I cant think of anything he has brought thats positive.

We were told by the happy clappers he will bring a more solid deffensive edge to our play, umm thats worked out well hasnt it !!

And if people are only going to talk about the quality players he has brought, perhaps, just perhaps, he should be head scout instead of manager ?

And what has happened to the good players we already owned ? They look a different set of players to the ones that

had no fear last year.

Iam going to sit back and listen to the happy clappers run out there list of much awsomeness team Hughton has brought to our club !!

And the list of pathetic excuses such as its not his team etc etc.[/quote]

Compleatly agree, also people keep bringing up the unbeaten run.. Besides the game against Man U and arsenal we dident exactly play to the best of Our ability then did we honestly?!

[quote user="barclay_boy111"][quote user="the1englishman"]I cant think of anything he has brought thats positive.

And what has happened to the good players we already owned ? They look a different set of players to the ones that

had no fear last year.

And the list of pathetic excuses such as its not his team etc etc.[/quote]

Compleatly agree, also people keep bringing up the unbeaten run.. Besides the game against Man U and arsenal we dident exactly play to the best of Our ability then did we honestly?![/quote]

It beggars belief how short some peoples'' memories are. Of the back 5 who beat Man U, only one of them is fit (Garrido). Of those back 5, Hughton recruited 4 of them.

Similar story to the Arsenal victory, although Martin was at right back.

If you''re going to criticise Hughton, at least be objective. The injuries to his back line is what''s causing the problems. Surely anyone can see that? Apparently not.

Playing Bennett next to Barnett yesterday was a big mistake. It killed Bennett. As a young lad, still learning his trade, he should have been next to Turner. Turner is an older head and has been playing well. Leon Barnett should be nowhere near our squad and its a worry that he is back up.

I am impressed how Hughton always looks like he is waiting for a bus when standing on the touchline - instead of looking like he is managing a football team during games!

I am impressed at how Hughton is surprised teams turn up at Carrow Road with a game plan - are they allowed to do that?

I am also impressed how Hughton praises up the opposition who are always "quality"...does this mean he thinks his own team are rubbish?

The man has impressed me but the task he has is much bigger than a lot think. The quality of his signings have by and large been good and provided some confidence that subsequent reinvestment will move us in the right direction. This is by and large in stark contrast to the latter Lambert signings who appear well out of their depth, some simularities with the latters recent transfer activity at Villa, Benteke apart.

Add to this Hughton seems honest , hard working and very articulate. There will be steel under that friendly exteria and particularly after yesterday a cull of our lesser players is due

It maybe a discussion worth having at the end of the season. If we had this discussion after we beat Man Utd it would have gone a different way to having it after we lost to Luton. Despite every thing we have 26 points from 23 games. Last season we had 29 points from 23 games and with our worst period of the season yet to come. Despite losing disgracefully to Luton yesterday our cup record this season is far superior to last years. His biggest test is still to come. So unless the board think otherwise we will be in a position to judge Hughton far more objectively at the end of the season.

I think if we''d had the injury problems we''ve had this season last season we would be doing far worse.

Hughton shouldn''t take the blame for yesterday. We should have been able to put out any 11 of our players, give them no instructions as to how to play and they still should have beaten Luton comfortably. Sometimes the buck stops with the players not the manager.

As others have said the main thing that has impressed me with Hughton is the quality of his signings and hopefully that will continue in the next week.

The man has made good signings, Kane probably apart, and has strengthened the team with Bassong in particular being a huge coup in hindsight.

While there have been some bad results, overall he has created a much more disciplined team able to close teams out when first 11 players are available.

Impressed with increase in clean sheets and ability to grind out some draws when under pressure.

The wins against Man U and Arsenal were superb team performances and tactics.

Being objective I would have an equal size list of things that have not impressed me. I don''t want his head, but based on his performance overall so far I think him and his backroom team will need to work hard over the rest of the season to secure safety, starting with the next 5 days.

Getting results and despite letting in lots of goals in some games, in many other games we''ve been tighter!

I said at the time we wouldn''t get anyone better and I still say that now!

Yesterdays result proves that despite having a sizeable squad, decent quality is still required. With the clubs current financial situation, getting the squad up to scratch wasn''t going to happen this quickly, afterall look at Stoke their only just getting there now!

We massively overachieved last season which hid up the facts that we are still a long way from being an established premiership force with a good enough squad to boot. This seasons to me is all about avoiding relegation, any position above 17th will be a bonus.

Totally with CUSDP on this. Even during the unbeaten run how many goals did we score from open play? We don''t create chances. We have never created chances under Hughton. On our day, if we''re lucky, our defence doesn''t give any easy goals away, our keeper makes a few good saves and we sneak a set piece. That''s the best we hope for.

the way he always bigs up the opposition is impressive isn''t it? Sadly, have very rarely heard him say how good we are, but as somebody on another post put if he didnt rate our squad then i suppose that is undrstandable really.

[quote user="alartz"]His job interview skills.

How he got the job I''ll never know[/quote]

lmaothis. and his ability to turn an attacking confident team into a goal shy shadow of themselves

bassong, excellent signing, apart from that, not a lot.

i am mostly unimpressed with his tactics, formation, lack of changing things when they are clearly not working, lack of risk taking, motivational skills (wtf is going on at half time?!? - city start second halves like they are a non league team defending against barca), and his overly calm manner and team/squad depreciation in press conferences/post/pre match interviews

[quote user="the1englishman"]I cant think of anything he has brought thats positive.

And what has happened to the good players we already owned ? They look a different set of players to the ones that had no fear last year.

And the list of pathetic excuses such as its not his team etc etc.[/quote]Will you moaning doom-mongers quit it with your "happy clapper" references. If someone had presented you with this exact situation 3 1/2 years ago, what would you (lot) have said "Na''h, we''ll stay in League One, I don''t think I could handle a loss to Luton being in the Prem".Would you swap places right now with QPR, Reading, Wigan ?Do you think Norwich should be up there with Man U, Man C & Chelsea?Most clubs with Norwich''s wherewithall would probably jump at the chance to be where Norwich are, despite the last 6 games or so being dissapointing.So, if we DO get relegated, what can you do about it? Who do you think could do a better job than who we have on the pitch and managing the squad at the moment, given that Jose''s unlikely to take over the reigns?If you want (near) constant success, join the sheep and follow Man U, or Swansea, if you think they''re doing better than us in similar circumstances.No one''s forcing you to follow Norwich; I''m certainly not.

[quote user="K Lo"][quote user="the1englishman"]I cant think of anything he has brought thats positive.

And the list of pathetic excuses such as its not his team etc etc.[/quote]Will you moaning doom-mongers quit it with your "happy clapper" references. If someone had presented you with this exact situation 3 1/2 years ago, what would you (lot) have said "Na''h, we''ll stay in League One, I don''t think I could handle a loss to Luton being in the Prem".Would you swap places right now with QPR, Reading, Wigan ?Do you think Norwich should be up there with Man U, Man C & Chelsea?Most clubs with Norwich''s wherewithall would probably jump at the chance to be where Norwich are, despite the last 6 games or so being dissapointing.So, if we DO get relegated, what can you do about it? Who do you think could do a better job than who we have on the pitch and managing the squad at the moment, given that Jose''s unlikely to take over the reigns?If you want (near) constant success, join the sheep and follow Man U, or Swansea, if you think they''re doing better than us in similar circumstances.No one''s forcing you to follow Norwich; I''m certainly not.[/quote]

Yeah, just be grateful for what you''ve got and say nothing because this is as good as we can ever do. When you dream, are they all in drab black and white?

You''re response is as screwed as your quoted reply; what on Earth has your browser done?You haven''t answered any of my points Unless you can do better or offer a better solution, what is the point in being a doom-monger?

I agree with all of your points K-Lo. There was bound to be a difficult run of results at some point in the season. It happened last season and in may seasons before. Most of these moaners thought that Lambert leaving was the end of City in the PL. Lambert is hardly setting the world on fire at Villa, is he? His signings have been good, though we need to see more of Butterfield and Kane (I''m not going to write off a young player on the basis of a few cameo appearances). Hughton knows what he''s got to do, and impressing the moaners is not included in that.

Nothing,zero,zilch! Boring,negative football. Back to Gunny days. Spoke to geordies after 0 0 draw,when they were there for the taking,and they were glad to see the back of him because his football was so boring.Sounds familiar.Yesterdays result was humiliating,worse than the 7 1 colchester defeat,compounded by his nieve team selection. The board must act quickly and get him out. Would take Paul Lambert back tomorrow. Defeats to spurs,wednesday night,and losing at QPR Saturday will see us back in the shite!

[quote user="bloomers"]

Nothing,zero,zilch! Boring,negative football. Back to Gunny days. Spoke to geordies after 0 0 draw,when they were there for the taking,and they were glad to see the back of him because his football was so boring.Sounds familiar.Yesterdays result was humiliating,worse than the 7 1 colchester defeat,compounded by his nieve team selection. The board must act quickly and get him out. Would take Paul Lambert back tomorrow. Defeats to spurs,wednesday night,and losing at QPR Saturday will see us back in the shite!

[/quote]

Ditto, at least we attacked with him.[Y]