Sign in to follow this  
hogesar

Unwarranted David Fox criticism

He did two years ago.

He would not be in a midfield with the top 8.of the championship now.

For me was never third best player last season, naughton should have been in the top 3

I''d happily see Fox in the side, perhaps as part of a ''Christmas tree'' formation, alongside Johnson and Tettey. Hughton would get to still play his one up front, but with two creative supporting players. There would be less width, but then we''re hardly hugging the touchline as it is.

We may then get a bit more creativity and variation from midfield.

As previously said on many occasion, that''s now two different managers with two different styles who have not seen him as a premiership player, nuff said!

I''ve seen this statement a number of times and it baffles me!! Was anybody a regular last season under lambert!? He regulary made 4-5 changes nearly every week!!

I think the critisim is abit unfair, only 3 weeks ago he bossed the game at a championship team away from home.

The problem this season is luton on saturday was only his 5th competetive game of the season and people expect him be on top form!

I cant see him playing a prem game unfortunatly because of the way CH sets the team up. Ive seen on more than 1 occasion this season that BJ has had shocking pass completion rates but yet still plays every week and that for me shows the way CH wants to play, which is be solid and strong and that isn''t fox''s game!

[quote user="NorwichNorth"]As previously said on many occasion, that''s now two different managers with two different styles who have not seen him as a premiership player, nuff said!

I''ve seen this statement a number of times and it baffles me!! Was anybody a regular last season under lambert!? He regulary made 4-5 changes nearly every week!!

I think the critisim is abit unfair, only 3 weeks ago he bossed the game at a championship team away from home.

The problem this season is luton on saturday was only his 5th competetive game of the season and people expect him be on top form!

I cant see him playing a prem game unfortunatly because of the way CH sets the team up. Ive seen on more than 1 occasion this season that BJ has had shocking pass completion rates but yet still plays every week and that for me shows the way CH wants to play, which is be solid and strong and that isn''t fox''s game![/quote]What different games people see... "In my opinion Fox did definitely not

boss the midfield at Peterborough, that is twaddle. The OP seems very defensive about the Fox criticism, but that is why the thread was started. I won''t post again on this thread (thank the lord i hear you say), the whole Fox debate bores me... he is not a premiership player and unfortunately for him, never will be.

Fox likes to sit in front of the back four and dictate play. The problem is that if the opposition set out to stop him, usually by leaving a player sitting in the "hole" He hasn''t got anything else apart from his passing ability. He doesn''t drive the play up the pitch, or dribble with the ball, making him a liability against high-pressing, well-disciplined teams.Part of the problem on Saturday was the extremely slow tempo. They needed to be running with the ball, or running full stop, and trying to switch the ball from wing to wing quickly.

What different games people see... "In my opinion Fox did definitely not boss the midfield at Peterborough, that is twaddle. The OP seems very defensive about the Fox criticism, but that is why the thread was started. I won''t post again on this thread (thank the lord i hear you say), the whole Fox debate bores me... he is not a premiership player and unfortunately for him, never will be.

Thats why we love football because of different in opinions!

By no means are i or other people saying he is the best player in the league but i think he brings more to the team than others and i think he made a good fist of being a prem player last year.

[quote user="NorwichNorth"]What different games people see... "In my opinion Fox did definitely not boss the midfield at Peterborough, that is twaddle. The OP seems very defensive about the Fox criticism, but that is why the thread was started. I won''t post again on this thread (thank the lord i hear you say), the whole Fox debate bores me... he is not a premiership player and unfortunately for him, never will be.

Thats why we love football because of different in opinions!

By no means are i or other people saying he is the best player in the league but i think he brings more to the team than others and i think he made a good fist of being a prem player last year.[/quote]What did you think about his pass to Jackson for the goal? Do you think anyone else in our squad is capable of similar?I have no problem with you posting on here, in fact i encourage it! Opinions are good. For me he is as much a premiership player as Johnson or Tettey is.I fully accept his limitations but its very naive to think that our other midfielders dont also suffer from (albeit different but just as significant) limiations too.

Fox was unbelieveably awful on Saturday which is a shame as I am a fan and think he can do a job in the prem. Most of our better performances last year came with him in the team. However, it seems clear that he does not fit into Hughtons plans and, therefore, we should be looking at moving him on, get a bit of cash and free up the wages.

Simples!

hogesar wrote:

What did you think about his pass to Jackson for the goal? Do you think anyone else in our squad is capable of similar?

Johnson''s pass to Pilkington against Sunderland?

Fox is a good talent, but I think we''d again have to change the system to accommodate him, just like we do for Wes.

Whilst Hughton plays the system we currently play, and seems reluctant to change, then Fox will find himself limited. The same goes for Surman and in ways E. Bennett

[quote user="ron obvious"]hogesar wrote:

What did you think about his pass to Jackson for the goal? Do you think anyone else in our squad is capable of similar?

Johnson''s pass to Pilkington against Sunderland?[/quote]You''ll have to remind me as i can''t remember. However, i hope you''re not trying to imply Johnson is a good a passer of the ball as David Fox... [:D]

Hogesar, it was after a Swanselona type movement, culminating in Johnson''s excellent through ball to Pilkington for our second goal.

And no, I''m not saying Johnson can pass as well as Fox. But he can occasionally do it. And, for most of the season, he''s been a very useful player for us.

[quote user="ron obvious"]Hogesar, it was after a Swanselona type movement, culminating in Johnson''s excellent through ball to Pilkington for our second goal.

And no, I''m not saying Johnson can pass as well as Fox. But he can occasionally do it. And, for most of the season, he''s been a very useful player for us.[/quote]Ahh yes brought it back! Remember now.Fully agree, Johnson''s been integral in some games.

What you mean''t to say was of course;

''Bradley Johnson is the best footballer to ever walk the earth, we can only but admire his pure ability''

[quote user="drurys testamonials V 15"]Fox is not a tackler. Mid-field needed a tackler to win the ball.[/quote]

we do - and fox put in more tackles on sat than johnson and tettey combined in the previous 2 matches - and BJs total is zero

He also won possession back more per game than any other midfielder per game last season when playing the anchor in the diamond - so to start saying he cant tcakle or win teh ball back when he is as good as any other midfielder at it is a little off

what he does need is greater mobility

Wow ZLF, even I wouldn''t have thought that - although as said previously in terms of winning back possession he was streets ahead of Howson against Luton.

We all have favourites, Fox has done a job for us in the past, he plays in training games and has been given the chance, but ultimately not impressed enough to get an extended run in the first team and to be honest in the system Hughton playes he will not impress.

I think Fox''s days are numbered and he will probably be one of those fringe players out the door in the summer.

I think he was unlucky as I don''t see the potential in Elliot Bennett others appear to and Jackson is one of the most overrated striker we have everhad here. He has no more pace than Holt, doesn''t make runs and when he does get the chance more often than not he misses.

Another who has done a good job for us through the years but time to move on in the summer.

Do feel a little sorry for Fox though.

Let''s face it, at the beginning of the season, based on last year, we thought we had the strongest squad ever but now, in the cold light of day, we realise the limitations of many of our players.

Fox is in the same boat as another half a dozen players who, like Lappin, need to move on.

[quote user="Indy"]

Jackson is one of the most overrated striker we have everhad here. He has no more pace than Holt,

[/quote]

Well he''s a lot quicker over a short distance and from a standing start than Holt is.

Yes, but three steps don''t count......

Holt has more about his game, but Jackson''s game is supposed to be about this mythical pace, well I have not seen it and against Luton, only once did he actually get passed that big defender, he could not out pace him during the game!

So makes me wonder what he has to offer?

Yeah the problem is that any defender with a little bit of pace and a big stride (most have a bigger stride than Jackson) will just eat up the ground.

I actually think one of the best aspects of Simeon''s game is his link up play but that only works if you give him something in to feet or on his chest, not hitting it long in the air for him to try and win a flick on - like Barnett and Bennett and whoever else was doing on Saturday.

Agreed, that ball over the top wasn''t even that good, even Theo would have struggled to catch those over hit passes. Unfair to criticise Jackson for what was a very poor team perfromance, nothing away from a good Luton win though!

How nice would it be to get in a good partnership, two players who can play and complement each other again!

Of course it''s the pace over the first 5/10 yards when coupled with other qualities is what managers pay a lot of money for. Grant Holt, Gary Doherty and even Duncan Forbes would have beaten Simeon over olympic sprint distances. Simeon''s problem is that his game is suited to playing off the shoulder of the last man but his record of scoring goals from the resulting positions is poor. He scores his fair share of goals from other situations but doesn''t have the neccessary qualities to be kept in the side in front of Holty or even Morison if his pace is a blunt weapon.