Liverpool 0-3 Lost

Arsenal 3-3 Draw

Villa 2-0 Win

Fulham 0-5 Lost

Everton 1-1 Draw

Southampton 1-1 Draw

Sunderland 2-1 Win

Liverpool 0-5 Lose

3 wins out of 13 starts, 32 goals conceded, 2.5 goals conceded per game.

It looks like £3m has gone down the drain at the minute, an extra £3m that could be helpful in bids for Hooper etc.

somehow that doesn''t surprise me - 2.5 goals per game will get you relegated in any league, in fact over a season it will probably put you bottom

A Lambert bust - don''t think top flight defenders were really his forte.

I honestly think he could do with a loan away from the club. Hughton obviously sees something in Bennett, but he''s struggling at a premiership level. I think a loan to P''boro or a similar championship club would be beneficial for his development and help restore his confidence (which is probably pretty low at the moment.)

Because it''d have been spent somewhere else scrappy... That was part of last seasons transfer budget, at best it would have been put into this seasons transfer budget, and Hughton would have had more to spend in the summer and probably would have spent it then.

This signing was an expensive mistake and exposes lamberts transfer policy once we had achieved the top flight. He may come good in the future but that does not help us now. His value is probably no more than £1m now. The dilema is what do we do with him now. Loaning him out to a championship club is no good what will he learn more than he has in that division already. If we play him we will lose games, if we sell him we will lose money,if we dont play him he will not improve a right mess

The main statistic that the Bennett bashers seem to miss is the fact that he is only 22 ffs!! Plenty of time to become a very good centre back, learning from SB and MT sling the way, as well as calderwood and co

He''s very young, and WILL be a good player. Yesterday, but the goal, he showed clearly that he is talented, strong and well built for the job. He will come good in time - he is not solely the reason for losing those games.

The entire squad have been poor at times.

Stop bashing the lad, confidence will help him grow

[quote user="Yorkshire Canary"]This signing was an expensive mistake and exposes lamberts transfer policy once we had achieved the top flight. He may come good in the future but that does not help us now. His value is probably no more than £1m now. The dilema is what do we do with him now. Loaning him out to a championship club is no good what will he learn more than he has in that division already. If we play him we will lose games, if we sell him we will lose money,if we dont play him he will not improve a right mess[/quote] I agree this lad will never be a premiership centre half because he is to laid back and has no agression for the position he plays,

Well I''ve never been a Ryan Bennett fan but when I voiced my opinions a few months back I was generally shot down. However, it would now seem a few more people are starting to see what I mean.

People may say he''s young but he''s not that young, not young enough to use it as an excuse.

Does he pass the ball better than Elliott Ward? No. Is he better in the air than Leon Barnett? No. Is his all around game as good as Bassong? No. Is he as strong as Michael Turner? No.

Is he value for money? No. Will we ever be able to sell him for more than we paid? Well, I think you can see where this one is going.

[quote user="GJP"]

Well I''ve never been a Ryan Bennett fan but when I voiced my opinions a few months back I was generally shot down. However, it would now seem a few more people are starting to see what I mean.

People may say he''s young but he''s not that young, not young enough to use it as an excuse.

Does he pass the ball better than Elliott Ward? No. Is he better in the air than Leon Barnett? No. Is his all around game as good as Bassong? No. Is he as strong as Michael Turner? No.

Is he value for money? No. Will we ever be able to sell him for more than we paid? Well, I think you can see where this one is going.

[/quote]

Yes

and

About the same (not that impressed with Turner)

[quote user="mrs miggins"][quote user="GJP"]

[/quote]

Yes

and

[/quote]

And also when you say- is his all round game better than bassong''s? Well, no, Bassong is our best defender by a mile.

[quote user="mrs miggins"][quote user="GJP"]

[/quote]

Yes

and

[/quote]

You think Bennett can pass the ball better than Ward!?

Ward can pass the ball better with his weak foot than Bennett can with his strong. And I''m not even joking.

I think he''s better than people give him credit for -  he has played well alongside Bassong. He clearly needs a lot of coaxing and guidance in a game but for defenders that comes with age.

In the meantime, I''m baffled as to why we''re not even showing an interest in Curtis Davies when his current club have announced a fire sale and has Hughton connections. Unless we are quietly in for him and he''s revealed this week. I can dream i guess...

Scapegoating young (and he is still young) Ryan Bennett now I see. What will that achieve?

He is a decent player who will only get better. I, for one, am glad that we now have that calibre of back-up.

Re: Curtis Davies ..... agree entirely that we could do with him on-board as well. I''m surprised we haven''t signed him by now.

My next-door neighbour regularly watches Posh and was pretty amazed at our signing Ryan Bennett last year.

His opinion, which I value (not least because he played lower-level non-league), was that he is very poor.

Time will tell.

Just watched the goal from Saturday again and RB was so poor defending the lad who scored. there was nothing else to worry about apart from being goal side of forward, lazy

you lot werent complaining last season when he was throwing his body in the way, he had some very good games.

he will come good, a good investment, given time he will be first choice

There is something in the stats. the context is important (last seasons defence was poor and this year''s is poor when bassong does not play.

Turner results this season without bassong are just as bad and Barnetts are the worst.

Bennett has potential as he is still better than Barnett and young for a cb. Turner should be leading the back 4 in bassongs absences. Don''t write either off yet neither should be sold but both need to improve

All this confirms what we already knew, bassong is the whole teams linchpin.

And yes if passes better than ward

Bennett does perform ok with bassong, so if has something. Unlike howson who has not performed with any midfield combination or position with 1 win in 12starts this season. Last season was little better, with his inclusion coinciding with our down turn in form.

Bennett was very poor on Saturday & him and Barnett is a receipe for disaster. Bennett is OK when alongside Bassong but as others have said the same can be said for any of our CB''s this season. He was pretty decent against Sunderland this season but his last 3 or 4 games have been desperately bad.

The signing of Bennett & Howson were Lamberts final legacy to the team. The downturn in form last season co-incided with their getting in the team. On Saturday I was firmly of the view that I didn''t want Bennett or Barnett to ever darken our first 11 with their presence - the anger has subsided a little but a number of that 11 need to be moved on;

definitely to go - Kane & Barnett

last chance saloon - R Bennett, Jackson, Howson & Fox

If we can get Curtis Davies and move on Barnett this week I would be pretty happy with Bennett has 4th choice - perhaps try and get a month out on loan at decent Champs Team to get him some game time.