Sign in to follow this  
silver fox

Will Shackell make the bench for Coventry?

Once again Shackell had an outstanding game marshalling the defence in the win against top of the table Reading reserves today. Apparently Worthy watched the game, but does this mean Shackell will actually make the bench for Coventry? If the substitutions are anything to go by then we can expect to see Crichton, Mulryne, Rivers / Henderson, McKenzie and Svensson (who did not play because of a cold), on the bench.

How many more games does Shackell have to languish in the reserves before we get to see him again in the first team. Remember that otstanding game he played against Cardiff. I know Mackay and Fleming are playing well together (Rotherham game excluded), but Shackell alongside Fleming will give the team so much more.

All the rumours about Worthy looking to strengthen the defence suggests that Shackell could be even further down the pecking order. I have never seen young Shackell play a bad game and my only complaint is that I haven''t seen enough of him in the first team.

Henderson came into the team played well and got an extended run, Shackell came in for the Cardiff game was outstanding and has never been seen since. Trust me, this young lad has all the makings of a future captain and should be playing now.

I think we have to be careful about how carried away we get with Shackell. I agree that he is a very good prospect, and witnessed his assured performance against Cardiff. However, he is fast becoming a player with uge expectations on his shoulders - it''s almost as if we expect him to be the answer for many years to come. I hope this is exactly what he is, but we must remember he is only 19 - a place on the bench is the very best he should hope for at this stage of his development. Throw him in too early and it could just ruin his career.

And besides, why does everyone seem to want to change a defence that is among the best in the country?

I think Worthy will be thinking about it hard and that''s probably why he was watching last night. The fact is Shackell needs games, sooner rather than later, otherwise he faces a fall down the pecking order should we get a new defender in, and Worthy knows that. But how do you split up the equal best defence in the league at the most vital stage of the season so far? It''s a real killer dicision and it certainly splits this board down the middle.

I think we could see him on the bench because the other thing is, with all this talk of a new defender coming in, he''s probably realising it would be a waste to bring one in and then leave him out waiting for Makay/Fleming to get injured when all along you have an equally compentent defender in the squad anyway. It would be a waste of money. Which means there''s another conundrum to answer:

If we are able to bring in one more player on loan, what position should we strengthen?
OR, alternatively do you stick rather than twist, go with we love you/hendo on the right, shackell to fill in/play at the back, and let the board throw any spare cash at the ground, hence the corner infill rumours....

decisions decisions!

silver fox, I hear what you are trying to say but answer me this.

We are top of the first division by 5 points. We are clear of the play-offs by 9 points. We have the best defence in the league. How can you say changing personnel "would give us more?" Give us more what? Surely we can''t get better then we have at the moment. The facts speak for themselves.

No need to bring in any loan signings for central defence. I agree Shackell is looking good and any other time then I am sure he would have figured in the first team more but I say again:

IF IT AIN''T BROKEN, DON''T FIX IT.

I can''t see why Worthy is looking to strengthen the defence. Somebody give me the name of a player who we could reasonably look to bring in that you would want to immediatley replace either Edworthy, Fleming, Mackay or Drury?

I think that our problem as City fans at present is that we like to have a moan (not saying you were moaning silver fox) but with the players doing so well, we are struggling with what to complain about!

I don''t think there is a single team in Division 1 or below that wouldn''t take any of our defenders right now.

Not sure about that Mark. Ok, at the moment at least, we have the equal best defence in the league but i don''t think we can be too complacent about it. West Brom''s and Sunderland''s were better until last weekend, and it let in four against Rotherham shortly before that. Also, don''t know if you saw the EDP on Monday but they had a stats section that analysed goalkeeping and defence. It came up with a ratio based on the number of opposition shots on target, against goals conceded. We were top of the table. But the best defence, and i mean back four here, is better defined by the number of shots the opposition get in on target. And what puts us top of the table is not the number of shots conceded (this was low but by no means the lowest), but that fact that there was a certain Mr Green in the way once the opposition got their shots in. There is still a lot of room for improving on the number of shots conceded, which currently makes our back four about 4th best.
And with perhaps the most feared attacking line up in the league right now about to come a calling (Zamora, Harewood, Connolly, Reo-Coker, etc), followed by messrs Hulse Horsfield Dobie and co, followed by the league''s top scorers, you can begin to see why NW is turning his attention to our defence. Against W Ham especially, there is a VERY strong case for greater mobility than Malky/Flem can give us.

"If it ain''t broke..." doesn''t always apply because it will be broke once Harewood and co have helped themselves, and then it''ll be too late. So there''s nothing wrong with acting to prevent that. No-one''s moaning, just looking at the next few games and going over the options.

I find this Shackell business a little strange. Everyone seems to think he''s the greatest centre-back to pull on the jersey since Linighan/Butterworth. How do you know??

Silver fox, you wrote - "I have never seen young Shackell play a bad game and my only complaint is that I haven''t seen enough of him in the first team." So, he''s been really good in the two or three first team games we''ve seen. And on that, we''re basing our assumption that he can cope with regular football against the best teams in the division. I really don''t think that''s a strong enough case to change things. And if you''re basing it on the reserve team games, then surely Easton deserves a recall after his sublime chipped goal?

I am not saying that Shackell isn''t brilliant, but he will get his chance at a run of games, and then he will have to take it. Until then, let''s work with (or bring in on loan) players that have the experience and knowledge to get us through the rest of the season.

I personally don''t think any major changes are neededor made simply because of it, but I do feel that the youngster needs to pick up some experience. so perhaps a few games under his belt when we have clinched promotion, wouldn''t be out of the way...

I agree with the "If it aint broke don''t fix it" philosophy. However, I think we have got to look at our younger talent. We have seen some incredible players come through the youth system at Norwich: Most recently Bellamy, Eadie and Kenton. We will never know if Shackell will be the next starlet if we don''t give him a go. I''m not saying drop malky or Flem because they have been outstanding, but putting him on the bench i don''t think would hurt. Just simple things like the pre-match dressing room atmosphere will give him more experience. If he played the last 5-10 minutes of a couple of matches Nigel would be able to tell if he really can make the grade.

My biggest concern is that we will get promoted in the summer with Shackell having little or no experience, and he''ll leave us for nothing. If Worthy won''t give him a go this year, he definitely won''t next year.

Jason Shackell might need to go out on loan to get experience, but I consider it highly unlikely because he fails to get a game this season or next he would want to leave, he is young and just learning the game.

He has great potential, but you cannot upset a settled back four to give the kid a chance.

Next season he will be playing hopefully against top grade reserve players which will bring him on in bundles, a couple of dodgy performances at this stage of the season and the knock that could give to his confidence is not what he needs. Or what the club needs although he has been impressive in the times I have seen him.

A place on the bench would be a good idea now and then but Worthy always packs the bench with forwards and midfield players a move that might just backfire some day.

Worthy and all the coaching staff that see all the players every day of the week (almost) know what they are doing. Leave it to them. Jason will have his day.

Canary Mark, what Shackell will give you is a defender who is quick, mobile, good in the air, can head the ball under control to one of his own players, is confident to play the ball out of defence rather than hoof it, can marshall a back four to ensure we don''t play too deep, and doesn''t have to rely on pulling the shirt or blocking an opponent when he is beaten by pace.

I agree we have a good defensive record but I personally believe it would be even better with the inclusion of Shackell for Mackay.

My biggest fear is that a big club comes in for Shackell and he is tempted to move rather than wait for his chance at Norwich.

I agree with Silver Fox to a certain extent JS should be worth a place on the bench, the bench at the moment does seem over biased towards attacking players, having said that, We are flying with what we have, life has not been better for a long time.

Perhaps that''s a sign of success - when any criticism - however valid almost seems like we are splitting hairs

the fact is that the fleming - mackay partnership is hardly failing us at the moment, so why change it??? If things go really wrong then do. I''m sure if we go up with a few games to spare Shackell will play a few games then. Just imagine if he was at fault for the losing goal against West Ham or Ipswich - it just usn''t worth it, is it???
I say blend him in - as a sub or at the end of the season

silver fox, I hear what you say, you make some good points, but define "better with the inclusion of shackell". Better then 5 points clear at the top? Are Arsenal looking to change their defence in the same position?

If Worthy decided to drop MacKay suddenly for Shackell, we would all be on here (quite rightly so) stating that Worthy has lost the plot!

Shackell is young. He has not proven himself properly at Division 1 level (OK he has had a couple of good games) but I don''t believe that any so called "big club" is likely to come in for him just yet - especially with limited money floating about nowadays - they want to be sure they are buying quality that can help them succeed.

Don''t worry. Shackell is there lying in waiting. He will get his chance I am sure but just at the moment we need to continue on as we are. The defence are solid and I am sure this is attributed to the fact that they all know each other and its been the same back 5 for sometime.

Lets not upset the applecart just so that we don''t lose a player for the future.

I would be VERY surprised if MacKay & Fleming played the rest of the season together. Heaven forbid but its possible one of them may miss a game - and Shackell will be ready to pounce!

WHY IS EVERYONE MAKING SUCH A FUSS ABOUT JASON SHACKELL JUST ON THE BASIS OF THE CARDIFF GAME? STOP HEAPING PRESSURE ON HIM AND LETS JUST LET HIM PROGRESS AT HIS OWN PACE RATHER THAN HYPING HIM UP TO EXCESS!