Sign in to follow this  
Sooty57

Is it because we are a "small" club?

Once again we seem to be having problems closing the deals on players. Obviously there are clubs that can wave bigger cheques in front of players than us, but that can''t be the sole reason. Newcastle have just managed to sign 5 players from the French league, but we can''t sign one.

We know that the Prem is a big draw for ambitious players from abroad, and even our wage structure is probably more lucrative than many are getting in leagues abroad, so is there a deeper problem? Could it be that overseas players just don''t know anything about us? When their agent calls them and says "I''ve had an approach from Norwich", how many say "Who?"

Before anyone starts berating me for suggesting we are "Little Old Norwich", I''m just asking if that is perhaps how we are perceived by some of our potential targets.

Of this is a factor - I believe the Morrocan midfileder Lambert bought for Villa said that Lambert approached him when he was still Norwich manager and the player turned it down claiming he''d never heard of us.

Of course money can stop players worrying about such things, but being a lesser know club means you always start on the back foot.

It is also worth pointing out that Newcastle were number 20 on the football club rich list - so don''t under estimate their pulling power. Add to that the fact they are now on TV a lot in France due to the influx of French players. Getting a ''big'' signing for Norwich (such as Wolfswinkel) would have a double bonus of not only having a great player, but also gaining the club so status in Europe.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

Getting a ''big'' signing for Norwich (such as Wolfswinkel) would have a double bonus of not only having a great player, but also gaining the club so status in Europe.

[/quote]

Good point, it may make future signings a bit easier. Mind you, the way we play on televised games sometimes it could work against us LOL.

It may be partly because bigger clubs and bigger pockets may come in. It may be wages on offer. It may be ambition on the part of players.

I think it''s prbably all three at different times. We don''t seem to have the problem with players from lower division - perhaps they see us as a steppibng stone to something better.