Sign in to follow this  
I am a Banana

Becchio

I think everyone would agree with trying to sign only strikers who are "quality".

The problem is, though, if our best efforts to sign them with our available budget come to nothing. What then? Hope that Holt doesn''t get injured? We will be stuck with playing Jackson, Morison or Kane, and they are simply not scoring or looking remotely good enough.

Rather than putting all our eggs in one basket labelled "Quality", might it not be sensible to put one or two in a basket labelled "Pretty good, would be our No 2 striker, could do a job in the premiership and keep us up this season pending some quality purchases in the summer"?

Despite all the talk I''d be very suprised if we can afford to buy Hooper, Graham or RvW and I''m not sure I''d want us to put all the funds into one big signing.

If, for example, we were able to get Becchio, Mackie, Kamara & Curtis Davies before 11pm Thursday that would be, for me, the squad strengthened and freshened up nicely for the last fourteen games.

I tend to agree, Bagpuss.

I''d love Hooper, Graham or RvW, but the realist in me doesn''t think they''ll come, despite McNally''s best efforts.

Becchio, Kamara and Curtis Davies would improve our options and not leave us so seriously exposed in key positions.

I see where you''re coming from Bagpuss, but just to counter that argument, we have a squad which kept us up last season and has been added to, do we need 4 more players who will not improve the overall quality or do we start to sign one or two better quality players to push the quality up?

I''m not sure we need to swap questionable players who (even Davies) just about make it in Championship squads? Davies hasn''t really helped Brum much this season, I know he''s part of a defence but hasn''t really pushed on yet.

Big debate, do we sign four average players to add to the squad or better than we have players.

If we could get hold of a couple of better players for reasonable prices (eg £4m each) then I''d say yes Indy as that would push the quality up. But in all likelyhood Hooper & RvW will cost at least twice that and Graham probably will too if we enter a bidding war with Sunderland.

Perhaps we should be following Newcastle''s lead and buy quality which is under the radar a bit in Europe as the VFM over here is nowhere near as good.

People are impatient, the club are trying to have evolution rather than revolution. A lot comes down to money, some comes down to not changing things too fast so as to adversely disrupt the team. Compromise is inevitable in what is a delicate balancing act, but we''ll hopefully look back come May and see an overall improvement on the previous year.

I know people are often not interested in rumours but here goes...

Some Leeds fans I know with close connections to the club told me that Becchio is going to sign for us for £4m. Apparently, he has said his goodbyes to Leeds staff already.

Please take this with a pinch of salt. May just be another rumour.

More on the ongoing saga of Luciano Becchio''s proposed exit from Leeds with The Mirror saying Norwich are prepared to pay the Whites £3.5million - plus Steve Morison - to bring the Argentine to Carrow Road to join former teammates Jonny Howson and Robert Snodgrass.
Just appeared on SKYs transfer clockwatch.

[quote user="Phillip J Fry"]More on the ongoing saga of Luciano Becchio''s proposed exit from Leeds with The Mirror saying Norwich are prepared to pay the Whites £3.5million - plus Steve Morison - to bring the Argentine to Carrow Road to join former teammates Jonny Howson and Robert Snodgrass.
[/quote]i really dont want any more Leeds players.. they are championship for a reason!

FFS no more Leeds players.

Why don''t we try for Colin as well and change our shirts to white.

If Leeds are so good why are they not in the Prem.

[quote user="Phillip J Fry"]More on the ongoing saga of Luciano Becchio''s proposed exit from Leeds with The Mirror saying Norwich are prepared to pay the Whites £3.5million - plus Steve Morison - to bring the Argentine to Carrow Road to join former teammates Jonny Howson and Robert Snodgrass.

[/quote]

Wow that is pants round your ankles & help youself time!!! Assuming Morison is worth say £1.5M that makes it £5M....if true we are desperate. Don''t want Becchio as not good enough - OK it will freshen things up a bit but for me £2M plus Morison would be better and we would still want to see another striker come in!

The body of the article says something rather different:

"Norwich are ready to buy Leeds striker Luciano Becchio after failing to land Celtic’s Gary Hooper.

They turned to the unsettled Argentinian on Tuesday and will sign him in a £3.5million deal - with Steve Morison going the other way."

i.e. the DEAL is worth £3.5m - combined value of Becchio & Morison.

[quote user="Phillip J Fry"]More on the ongoing saga of Luciano Becchio''s proposed exit from Leeds with The Mirror saying Norwich are prepared to pay the Whites £3.5million - plus Steve Morison[/quote]I mentioned a swap involving Morison on the other Becchio thread. If Morison is worth say £1m then we''d be paying the cash equivalent of £4.5m for him. I''d have thought £2.5m cash + Morison (ie ~£3.5m) would be more like it.

I think Moro for Becchio is more than sensible, if along with another signing, but I''d be very surprised if we were paying anything like that.

Fact is, Moro seems to have ''lost'' the supporters, and I still think he has his moments but recently they do seem to be coming infrequently . IMO a fresh start elsewhere for Moro makes great sense, Becchio is a better replacement.

[quote user="Branston Pickle"]I think Moro for Becchio is more than sensible, if along with another signing, but I''d be very surprised if we were paying anything like that.

Fact is, Moro seems to have ''lost'' the supporters, and I still think he has his moments but recently they do seem to be coming infrequently . IMO a fresh start elsewhere for Moro makes great sense, Becchio is a better replacement.[/quote]Entirely agree.Warnock will let Becchio go if he can sign a replacement, maybe this helps explain why Moro is being offered - http://www.pontefractandcastlefordexpress.co.uk/sport/leeds-united/leeds-united-boss-becchio-can-go-if-we-get-a-replacement-1-5362241

So the Mirror says we have a £3.5 million deal to sign Becchio...

The Sun says that Leeds are PAYING US £1 million and giving us Becchio, to take Steve Morison!

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/4769463/Gary-Hoopern-and-Luciano-Becchio-set-for-Norwich.html

Clear as mud.

Highland Canary, he will not be a flagship signing. He will, however, bring some muscle and goalscoring ability to our front line.

Top of all, he''ll bring in some confidence. 19 goals this season is not bad, and will certainly add something different to the team.

Better option than CMS and Mackie IF it''s true that Moro is going the other way and we get a million!

"Hard working, runs for 90mins, good in the air/heading, similar Championship scoring record to Becchio but more mobile than him.". This is a description of the one and only Morison from one of the Sun journalists posted a little while ago. Couldn''t help but chuckle and then worry that Morison is supposedly more mobile than Becchio...

[quote user="Alan_Grey"]So the Mirror says we have a £3.5 million deal to sign Becchio...

The Sun says that Leeds are PAYING US £1 million and giving us Becchio, to take Steve Morison!

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/4769463/Gary-Hoopern-and-Luciano-Becchio-set-for-Norwich.html

Clear as mud.[/quote]or a report from Leeds Saying Straight Swap - so that all 3 options covered!!got this from a Leeds Forum, good scoring record at Championship level if its rightBecchio has scored 45 Championship goals from just 84 starts

Becchio''s goalscoring record is very good, but the 45 goals from just 84 starts will include a number of penalties.

Hardworking player with enough quality to cut it in the Prem, and certainly a step up from Jackson, Kane and an underperforming Morison.

Swap deal with would Morison be a good idea for both clubs and both players.

I would say he''s a bit more of a poacher than Morison, will probably score more tap in type goals and penalty box scramble situations.

If we are getting 1 million plus Becchio for Morison that values Morison at 3 or 4 million doesn''t it. Wow.

"Becchio''s goalscoring record is very good, but the 45 goals from just 84 starts will include a number of penalties."

Hmm, probably not as many penalties as RVW though.

[quote user="norfolkchance1"]Chant idea - assuming he arrives

Lo Lo Lo Lo Lo Lo Lo Lo Luciano Becchio

to tune of

No limit - 2 unlimited[/quote]

Sorry, pathetic.

"

If true not the sort of signing likely to take us to the next level to establish ourselves in the PL"Some of you need to wake up to reality.  The next level, mid table consistently, is a totally different league.  It means players costing millions, or even if free, costing 30,40, 50k a week in wages.WE DON''T HAVE THE MONEY.We need to survive.  Lets wait and see who we get in, how they perform and what the table says at the end of the season shall we?

Le Fondre wasn''t considered a ''massive gamble.'' Reading only paid £300,000 for him.

[quote user="Orford65"]Adam Le Fondre had never played top-flight football and it was considered a massive gamble by Reading when they signed him from Rotherham.Check his goal-scoring record - and he''s not even in the starting eleven most weeks.[/quote]