Sign in to follow this  
SYG

Hooper starts for Celtic...

Pretty sure that''s the end of the speculation in him coming here.

Unless something drastic happens tomorrow...

He won''t be leaving tomorrow unless decent money is offered. And we''re talking £8m minimum.Even  then, going by Lenny''s quotes in the last few days, even that probably won''t push a deal through. The club seem resolute in keeping him until the summer at the earliest.

I''m not sure exactly what they are hoping to achieve by keeping him there if he wants to move.

You''re getting knocked out of the Champions League in the next round whether he stays or not, and most of our local school teams could clinch the SPL from the position you''re in.

He''s pretty much just chucking £3m-£4m down the toilet.

[quote user="Mr Brownstone"]I''m not sure exactly what they are hoping to achieve by keeping him there if he wants to move.

You''re getting knocked out of the Champions League in the next round whether he stays or not, and most of our local school teams could clinch the SPL from the position you''re in.

He''s pretty much just chucking £3m-£4m down the toilet.[/quote]All the experts said we wouldn''t get out of the CL group. Nobody thought we''d beat Barca. There''s no guarantee of Juventus winning our tie. I get you''re upset because you''re not getting him but sometimes clubs have to take a stand when others start trying to take your first choice players for a relative pittance. And £5m is a relative pittance in this case.

[quote user="Notts Canary"]Lovely shot of Holt telling the Lino to f*ck off...
[:D]
[/quote]
Opps! wrong thread! my bad!

Not upset at all, I''d personally have walked away at £5m. £8m is a huge amount of money for a player who''s never played at this level, and as such for a club with our finances he represents a gamble.

I''ll have a fiver with you that you go out to Juve?

[quote user="Mr Brownstone"]Not upset at all, I''d personally have walked away at £5m. £8m is a huge amount of money for a player who''s never played at this level, and as such for a club with our finances he represents a gamble.

I''ll have a fiver with you that you go out to Juve?[/quote]He''s played - and done well - at Champions League level, which is a higher level than the EPL where defences are, generally, not brilliant. If you''d have walked away at £5m that''s your choice, but amazed you find it excessive for a young English striker who had an excellent record in the Championship, moved to a huge club and is banging in goals in Europe.  All about opinions, I guess.As for the bet, of course on paper Juve will go through so the bet''s loaded in your favour. I don''t think it will be the foregone conclusion you think it will be though.

Not sure you can claim that the Champions League qualifiers and group stages are of a higher quality than the Prem. In my opinion its highly unlikely that Spartak or Benfica would finish in the top half of the Prem, let alone trouble the top 6.

That''s not taking anything away from your Barca result, but as St Mirren and Luton proved at the weekend, these things happen!

Jordan Rhodes was hugely overpriced. Just because one club is prepared to pay hugely over the odds it doesn''t immediately raise the market price of every other player.

[quote user="Mr Brownstone"]Not sure you can claim that the Champions League qualifiers and group stages are of a higher quality than the Prem. In my opinion its highly unlikely that Spartak or Benfica would finish in the top half of the Prem, let alone trouble the top 6.

That''s not taking anything away from your Barca result, but as St Mirren and Luton proved at the weekend, these things happen![/quote]It''s all about opinions but it does suit you to talk up the quality of the Prem. Most exciting league in the world? Possibly. Best league in the world? Hardly.  The defending is not of a good standard. Benfica were quarter finalists of the CL last season - the same season Man City couldn''t get out of the group stage. City and Chelsea couldn''t get out of the group stage again this year. Quite why you think Benfica wouldn''t qualify for the top half of the EPL is beyond me. West Brom, Swansea and Stoke are all better than Benfica?! Not for me. As for the Barca-Luton comparison, we played Barca twice so the one-off analogy is a bit off. They needed a 94th minute winner to beat us over there. Anyway, we''re probably straying off the point here. I can''t see Hooper going anywhere by the deadline tomorrow. If the bids your CEO has apparently put in are genuine, I think he''s seriously shortchanged your support. Celtic seem seriously unimpressed. Seems a bad way to do business.

Fine with me at that price, and I don''t feel shortchanged at all, quite the opposite in fact. Paying over the odds for players is how clubs get in trouble, that''s not a road I''d care to see us go down again. I''d rather keep our powder dry for the summer.

To be fair you''re judging on their up-front value.

Sure we might have offered you as little as 4M up front, but say we had added payments on goals scored/appearances, and a hefty fee if we stayed up that say rose it to at least 8M, would that not be technically meeting Celtic''s valuation?

[quote user="IrishCelt67"][quote user="Mr Brownstone"]Not upset at all, I''d personally have walked away at £5m. £8m is a huge amount of money for a player who''s never played at this level, and as such for a club with our finances he represents a gamble. I''ll have a fiver with you that you go out to Juve?[/quote]

He''s played - and done well - at Champions League level, which is a higher level than the EPL where defences are, generally, not brilliant.

If you''d have walked away at £5m that''s your choice, but amazed you find it excessive for a young English striker who had an excellent record in the Championship, moved to a huge club and is banging in goals in Europe. 

All about opinions, I guess.

As for the bet, of course on paper Juve will go through so the bet''s loaded in your favour. I don''t think it will be the foregone conclusion you think it will be though.
[/quote]

Fair comment Irish. If we could get Hooper for £8M I would take it - I think you make a very valid point about the so called strength of the Prem League. Defensively it is generally very poor. Man Utd nearly always concede. 2 EPL teams failed to get through the group stages of the Champions League. Hooper is a young player who should just get better and better.

[quote user="Mr Brownstone"]Fine with me at that price, and I don''t feel shortchanged at all, quite the opposite in fact. Paying over the odds for players is how clubs get in trouble, that''s not a road I''d care to see us go down again. I''d rather keep our powder dry for the summer.[/quote]Well, in this instance, I think you''ll be waiting until the summer anyway. We could have taken the same ''over the odds'' attitude when we paid Scunthorpe £2.4m for him but that''s what taking a risk and trusting your judgement is all about. Scunthorpe set the price, we did the deal. I don''t think you''ll be alone in looking for him in the summer and I do expect him to end up in the EPL then.

[quote user="AJ"]To be fair you''re judging on their up-front value.

Sure we might have offered you as little as 4M up front, but say we had added payments on goals scored/appearances, and a hefty fee if we stayed up that say rose it to at least 8M, would that not be technically meeting Celtic''s valuation?[/quote]There was a rumour doing the rounds that the £5m offer was after add-ons and the initial payout was something like £2m. Probably rubbish but, if true, well ... deary me.

[quote user="Evesham Canary"]

[quote user="IrishCelt67"][quote user="Mr Brownstone"]Not upset at all, I''d personally have walked away at £5m. £8m is a huge amount of money for a player who''s never played at this level, and as such for a club with our finances he represents a gamble. I''ll have a fiver with you that you go out to Juve?[/quote]He''s played - and done well - at Champions League level, which is a higher level than the EPL where defences are, generally, not brilliant. If you''d have walked away at £5m that''s your choice, but amazed you find it excessive for a young English striker who had an excellent record in the Championship, moved to a huge club and is banging in goals in Europe.  All about opinions, I guess.As for the bet, of course on paper Juve will go through so the bet''s loaded in your favour. I don''t think it will be the foregone conclusion you think it will be though.[/quote]

Fair comment Irish. If we could get Hooper for £8M I would take it - I think you make a very valid point about the so called strength of the Prem League. Defensively it is generally very poor. Man Utd nearly always concede. 2 EPL teams failed to get through the group stages of the Champions League. Hooper is a young player who should just get better and better.

[/quote]I think he will. I''ve seen some good strikers play for us - Di Canio, Cadete, Van Hooijdonk and the best of all, Larsson - and Hooper is up there with them in his own way. He has a superb touch, good vision and a striker''s instinct. He can be a little lazy at times but he''s a born goalscorer.

[quote user="Mr Brownstone"]I didn''t say I''d be keeping my powder dry for Hooper...[/quote]Van Wolfswinkel?Good player, scored a few against us in Europa League a while back but I''d imagine he''d require even more money than Hooper.

good to see celtic winning and hooper not scoring

might make them think they could actually do without him?!?

Guy on sky sports saying hoopers mind doesnt seem on its. Maybe head been turned? Said shootin boots not on.

Said lennon will want to chat about his future straight after this game.

[quote user="Mervmeister"]Guy on sky sports saying hoopers mind doesnt seem on its. Maybe head been turned? Said shootin boots not on.

Said lennon will want to chat about his future straight after this game.[/quote]Watching game and he''s not playing well tonight. He''s been banging them in the last few games all through the speculation though so I doubt his head''s been turned.