Sign in to follow this  
Salopian

Not if but when we go down

It''s beginning to look inevitable. We have now conceded three more goals than any other team, and scored more than only two others. Even when we win, we have had to score more than the defence had gifted away.

This is not defeatism or pessimism, but realism. On Saturday, with two goals from goalkeeping errors and a further from a failure to clear from a set piece, we seemed to have no answer after a bright start. It would be fantastic, and in some ways a just reward, if we do stop up, but while the heart stays optimistic, rationally it really does not look likely. In fact, with the new players acquired by our relegation rivals, they are mostly stronger than they were and seem to have an edge on us.

There has been a clamour for one or two of the younger players, especially Shackle, to be given a game. Would they do worse? They personally would gain, as we begin to think of team rebuilding. We have to achieve two things , - a resolute defence which concentrates for 90 minutes and strikers who can hit the target. Would a youngster  have less fear or be lacking for pace? Of the injured who may return at some point, only Bentley would seem to have it in him to make a major difference, and his return will surely be too late.

Another posting today discussed which players should leave at the end of the season. Perhaps now is the time to give valuable experience to some younger ones - Shackle, Jarvis, Crow, in particular.

I think it''s now time to give Shackell a go. The only bad game he''s had was when he was played out of position against Palace last season.

Like you say it can only do him good and it''s obvious things need to change

[quote]It''s beginning to look inevitable. We have now conceded three more goals than any other team, and scored more than only two others. Even when we win, we have had to score more than the defence had gif...[/quote]

A wolf maybe?.

Realism ?

You have two clubs below you and one club two points above you.

You''re mission, should you choose to except it, is to equal the number of points the teams below you get, thus keeping you ahead of them, and  gain three more than that club above you therefore overtaking it. You have eleven games to achieve this.

Hardly Mission Impossible is it ?

The difference between optimism and pessimism is the realism that you choose to use as a basis for your thoughts, yes ?

Not mission impossible if you have a team that looks like it can cut it , City unfortunately do not . Its something of an achievement if we conceed less than 3 these days . Up untill 4 weeks ago i would have said West Brom were the worst side in the league but even they are playing better football now than we have all season . We went to an out of form Villa and got thrashed , conceeded 4 at home to an out of sorts Boro , got played off the park by the bottom side at home (yes i know we won , but how nobody knows) and last weekend we get thrashed 3-0 at an out of form Blackburn who had not scored for 3 matches . Yes we could still stay up but its going to need us playing 100% better than we have so far this season then a bit more on top of that. Possible yes but anybody who watches the matches with their eyes and not their hearts knows what the outcome will be.

Well said premier1.

It matters little how many we score if we are now letting three or four in at the other end.There appears little or no cohesion in the defence.

Why was Charlton playing out of place when he wasn''t even fully fit ? Shades of Worthington''s supposed get tough mentality perhaps. Odd to pick up on another retro thread about Worthington telling Kenton that he would have to play with a broken nose back in 2001. Any wonder he left.

We got out of Div 1 with self belief, encouragement and absolute confidence. We will not stay in the Premiership through fear. The incoming players had Premiership and/or international experience. They are nobodies fools yet they are beginning to look like everybodies fools.

Don''t tell me I shouldn''t say this or that I am being negative. Point out where I am wrong but by all means lets not have absolute blind optimism.

We''re all City fans. It''s not so much the loss but the manner of the loss. Going from a superb defence to a pub team that seems reliant upon who turns up is the hardest to take.

After Man City we''ve Chelsea, Arsenal and Man Utd with Bolton away as the easy game !

We''ve a fortnight to sort it out.