Sign in to follow this  
IrishCelt67

You've had a 3rd Hooper bid rejected

Celtic = Huge club in a shit league.Would easily be top 6 in the Prem.  Wish our fans would stop dissing them and being all "we are a big team".Celtic are bigger than Norwich. In actual fact if you want to go in the rankings of "big teams"1. Man Utd2. Liverpool3. Glasgow Rangers4. Celtic5. Arsenal ( etc etc )30-50 Norwich

8m isn''t ridiculous.

Didn''t Celtic manage to get 6m for Ki (at Swansea). Not sure how he''s doing.

It''s the going rate when a premiership club is involved.

Nexus, I would not put Celtic and Rangers in the top 4 biggest british clubs. There is more to being a top side these days than just getting big crowds. Scottish clubs can not compete with mid table prem teams in terms of money.

Man Utd, Man City, Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool, Spurs, Everton and Newcastle would all be above the two Scottish teams simply based on their turnover. No scottish team is ever going to win the Champions league now thats just the way it is.

Scotland: net exporters of whisky, politicians and vagrants.

But with footballers it is a two-way street, so get over yourselves.

If Celtic don''t want to sell they should just make it clear; if Hooper wants to leave he should also make it clear.

If the player wants to stay until the summer and Celtic want to keep him for the ''big game'' again, say so and stop messing everyone about.

Rumours of Grant Holt going to Celtic Park still abound btw.

Due to their history/cultures, both Rangers and Celtic are world-famous brands.

In fact, Rangers are one of the top three or four club brands in the world, let alone the UK. Only Man Utd and Liverpool are bigger in the UK, an perhaps Barca and Real from abroad.

Celtic are not far behind that.

Whilst I get that we play in a more attractive league against substantially higher standard opposition than Celtic, some of the derisory posts towards the size of Celtic FC on this thread leave me chuckling!

Celtic are a flippin'' huge club. Doesn''t mean we can''t offer money for one of their players, does it?!

Celtic are a huge club but they are playing in a League where all the other teams are not even Championship level. That isn''t ever going to change either.

There could well be a lot of mileage in this yet, because if Hooper had catergorically turned round and said to us that he wasn''t interested, then we would have backed off and not put another bid in.

You must be getting a bit sweaty Irishsweaty?

Celtic have the potential to be top 6 in the prem league - the fan base is enormous.    However the salary income and quality of players mean that they are not yet at that standard - so they would not come into the PL with this squad and do well,  they would need to invest and spend.  But as with the likes of leeds etc the potential is there.

[quote user="CanaryNath"]Due to their history/cultures, both Rangers and Celtic are world-famous brands.

In fact, Rangers are one of the top three or four club brands in the world, let alone the UK. Only Man Utd and Liverpool are bigger in the UK, an perhaps Barca and Real from abroad.

Celtic are not far behind that.

Whilst I get that we play in a more attractive league against substantially higher standard opposition than Celtic, some of the derisory posts towards the size of Celtic FC on this thread leave me chuckling!

Celtic are a flippin'' huge club. Doesn''t mean we can''t offer money for one of their players, does it?![/quote]I might be biased but ....Zombie FC one of the top 3 or 4 club brands in the world?! Are you on glue?!In former Rangers director Hugh Adam''s own words ..."Rangers’ so-called global appeal is a myth," he said. "When I was

there, we did an exercise which involved asking 50,000 fans on the

database to recommend a friend or a relative abroad. "A big

response was expected - some were even talking about getting 100,000

names - because everybody in Scotland seems to know somebody abroad. "We

got back 2,800 names and three-quarters of them didn’t know they had

been nominated. It’s no surprise that Celtic are officially the

best-supported football club in North America, with more official clubs

than anybody else. The difference is the Irish connection. "Despite

the claims of international appeal, Rangers are, essentially, a West of

Scotland club. They talk of supporters’ buses leaving from all parts of

Scotland, but if you look closely, you’ll see there aren’t many from

each area and they are not all full.

[quote user="crabbycanary"]

There could well be a lot of mileage in this yet, because if Hooper had catergorically turned round and said to us that he wasn''t interested, then we would have backed off and not put another bid in.

[/quote]Not at all. I don''t think your lot have the money to do the deal by tonight. And I don''t think Hooper is majorly fussed about the deal going through in this window, either. I think he''ll go in the summer alright but to get it done tonight you''re going to have to come up with significant cash - £8m or so. All this talk of ''but you''ll get less in the summer'' is futile: it''s not the motivating factor for Celtic in this. It suits us better to have him for Juventus. Those games are enormous and the club is firmly of the belief we can put the Italians out.

[quote user="IrishCelt67"][quote user="crabbycanary"]

[/quote]Not at all. I don''t think your lot have the money to do the deal by tonight. And I don''t think Hooper is majorly fussed about the deal going through in this window, either. I think he''ll go in the summer alright but to get it done tonight you''re going to have to come up with significant cash - £8m or so. All this talk of ''but you''ll get less in the summer'' is futile: it''s not the motivating factor for Celtic in this. It suits us better to have him for Juventus. Those games are enormous and the club is firmly of the belief we can put the Italians out.[/quote]

We can see the benefits of playing and possibly putting Juve out, but Hooper, and you, know that you ain''t going to win the whole shebang.

It will be a question of taking one step back (missing the CL games) to take 3 forward (playing in the PL etc), if he were to move today.

Hooper is not going to gain Celtic any further £''s by hanging on (lose some more like), and he isn''t going to increase his ''profile'' by staying, as his season only has 2 possibly 4 more high profile games left.

He needs to move today!!!

[quote user="drurys testamonials V 15"]

[quote user="Bryangunnshairline"]Celtic are a massive club. If they spent 10 years in the prem I''m sure they would end up being a top 4 club. Swansea and cardiff are allowed in so why not let Celtic and rangers in?[/quote]

It''s not that straightforward. Which teams would you suggest asking to make way for them?

Swansea and Cardiff began at the conception of the leagues as I understand. The Scots were clearly not as quick off the mark as the Welsh.

[/quote]

I know you can''t just kick a couple of teams out they either start at the bottom or the 92 pro teams become 94 and the premiership becomes 22 teams.

IrishCelt67 wrote the following post at 31/01/2013 2:05 AM:

@BBCchrismclaug: Neil Lennon tells @bbcsportsound #Celtic knocked back third bid from #Norwich for Gary Hooper yesterday. Says bid fell well short.

Well the 4th hasn''t been rejected, NCFC testing your resolve now IC, agreed to meet Celtic''s valuation, now down to tell the player and let him decide. Talksport breaking news.

Don''t think this one is going to go away just yet!

If Hooper wants to play in the EPL he and his agent need to press, unless he has doubts in his own ability in which case he can stay a big fish in a small loch.

[quote user="crabbycanary"][quote user="IrishCelt67"][quote user="crabbycanary"]

[/quote]Not at all. I don''t think your lot have the money to do the deal by tonight. And I don''t think Hooper is majorly fussed about the deal going through in this window, either. I think he''ll go in the summer alright but to get it done tonight you''re going to have to come up with significant cash - £8m or so. All this talk of ''but you''ll get less in the summer'' is futile: it''s not the motivating factor for Celtic in this. It suits us better to have him for Juventus. Those games are enormous and the club is firmly of the belief we can put the Italians out.[/quote]

We can see the benefits of playing and possibly putting Juve out, but Hooper, and you, know that you ain''t going to win the whole shebang.

It will be a question of taking one step back (missing the CL games) to take 3 forward (playing in the PL etc), if he were to move today.

Hooper is not going to gain Celtic any further £''s by hanging on (lose some more like), and he isn''t going to increase his ''profile'' by staying, as his season only has 2 possibly 4 more high profile games left.

[/quote]With no disrespect meant to Norwich, I''m sure he knows that if he moves to Carrow Road today he can kiss last 16 Champions League ties against one of the giants of European football goodbye for the next few years at least. He''s an ambitious boy - I''m sure he knows that Norwich will be back in for him in the summer, and possibly with a few other clubs too given his price will fall. He certainly hasn''t demanded a transfer and you''re naive if you think 2 games against Juventus broadcast all over Europe won''t increase his profile, particularly if he scores against them. He''ll know this more than anyone.I''ll be amazed if you sign him today. Never say never, but still ... I''ll be amazed. And it will mean serious money.

[quote user="IrishCelt67"][quote user="crabbycanary"][quote user="IrishCelt67"][quote user="crabbycanary"]

[/quote]With no disrespect meant to Norwich, I''m sure he knows that if he moves to Carrow Road today he can kiss last 16 Champions League ties against one of the giants of European football goodbye for the next few years at least. He''s an ambitious boy - I''m sure he knows that Norwich will be back in for him in the summer, and possibly with a few other clubs too given his price will fall. He certainly hasn''t demanded a transfer and you''re naive if you think 2 games against Juventus broadcast all over Europe won''t increase his profile, particularly if he scores against them. He''ll know this more than anyone.I''ll be amazed if you sign him today. Never say never, but still ... I''ll be amazed. And it will mean serious money.

[/quote]

I am not saying that 2 CL games will not raise his profile, but if he has to rely on those 2 games (over the next 6 months) to do so, then that will not benefit him, or the price you get for him. Hence my 1 step back, to take 3 forward analogy

[quote user="City 2nd"]IrishCelt67 wrote the following post at 31/01/2013 2:05 AM:

@BBCchrismclaug: Neil Lennon tells @bbcsportsound #Celtic knocked back third bid from #Norwich for Gary Hooper yesterday. Says bid fell well short.

Well the 4th hasn''t been rejected, NCFC testing your resolve now IC, agreed to meet Celtic''s valuation, now down to tell the player and let him decide. Talksport breaking news.

Don''t think this one is going to go away just yet![/quote]There hasn''t been a 4th bid. There might be, but there hasn''t. Talksport just make this crap up. Ignore them.

This is the kind of thread that makes me cringe. Celtic are a huge club, I would suggest the only EPL club that is bigger is Man Utd. Celtic have suffered as a result of the derath of quality opposition in Scotland, but you cannot knock a team that beat Barcelona. Turning to Hopper whether or not we think Hooper is worth £8M or not is academic, the January transfer window is a sellers market, Hooper is contracted to Celtic, is one of their most valuable players to them so ultimately he is worth however much Celtic can get for him and Norwich City are prepared to pay. I think we have the money to bid £8M for him, it is just a question of whether that is enough for Celtic and we are prepared to pay that much......

[quote user="crabbycanary"][quote user="IrishCelt67"][quote user="crabbycanary"][quote user="IrishCelt67"][quote user="crabbycanary"]

[/quote]

I am not saying that 2 CL games will not raise his profile, but if he has to rely on those 2 games (over the next 6 months) to do so, then that will not benefit him, or the price you get for him. Hence my 1 step back, to take 3 forward analogy

[/quote]Of course it will benefit him. If he scores against Juve, there will be plenty of clubs looking at him and they will be quickly aware of his contract situation. If we put Juventus out - and it''s possible - he''ll also have 2 quarter final games to look forward to. He will get an EPL club in the summer regardless. He''s got a choice of 6 months of trying not to get dragged into a relegation battle with you or winning another championship, playing against Juventus and getting his EPL move anyway. I don''t think the ball''s in your court here.

[quote user="Sons of Boadicea"]

This is the kind of thread that makes me cringe. Celtic are a huge club, I would suggest the only EPL club that is bigger is Man Utd. Celtic have suffered as a result of the derath of quality opposition in Scotland, but you cannot knock a team that beat Barcelona. Turning to Hopper whether or not we think Hooper is worth £8M or not is academic, the January transfer window is a sellers market, Hooper is contracted to Celtic, is one of their most valuable players to them so ultimately he is worth however much Celtic can get for him and Norwich City are prepared to pay. I think we have the money to bid £8M for him, it is just a question of whether that is enough for Celtic and we are prepared to pay that much......

[/quote]Someone who gets it! ;-)You''re right, it''s a sellers market in January. You have to meet a valuation or move on. Or, alternatively, wait for his contract to run down a bit more and hope nobody else outbids you in the meantime.

Champions league for two more games, and no doubt qualification next year in what is a totally uncompetitive league. Sure he will enjoy Inverness, Kilmarnock, Dundee and the rest above playing against Man Utd and City, Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea and the rest I''m sure.

It''s very easy to think of yourself as a big club simply because you can dominate the league year after year. That''s not competitive at all for any gifted player.

[quote user="lincoln canary"]Hooper or not Celtic will not get passed Juve. Celtic have ridden their luck to get where they are, that luck will run out eventually.[/quote]That''s a lot of luck - scored 5 times against Spartak Moscow, put 3 past Barcelona. Amazing how consistently lucky we''ve been in the CL this season. Credit where it''s due for God''s sake.

I''d rather ignore you. NCFC have agreed to meet Celtic''s valuation. get over it. Down to the player and his agent now.

[quote user="City 2nd"]Champions league for two more games, and no doubt qualification next year in what is a totally uncompetitive league. Sure he will enjoy Inverness, Kilmarnock, Dundee and the rest above playing against Man Utd and City, Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea and the rest I''m sure.

It''s very easy to think of yourself as a big club simply because you can dominate the league year after year. That''s not competitive at all for any gifted player.[/quote]We are where we are. We can''t move leagues but have to get on with it. We offer young players the chance of playing in the best league in the world - the Champions League. And it''s not guaranteed qualification actually, we had 2 rounds of qualifiers this year. Probably same next year.It''s very easy to think of ourselves as a big club because of the stadium, the support, the trophies and the history, actually. It has little to do with beating Killie or Inverness.

So, despite being a massive Club.

Despite being inevitable champions.

Despite having a couple of fixtures coming up against a side from Torino.

Despite having a mealy mouthed cock sure manager.

Despite being confident Hooper''s value will stay the same or increase by the summer.

You STILL have a valuation on a player you don''t want/need to sell?

Is it because the player WANTS to go because like most players he is just looking for #1.

If he comes to Norwich and does well, guess what?

If Spurs match our bid, guess what?

Take a reality pill and drop the bull.

I refer you to my initial post about Celtic wanting to save face, but it works both ways and we have a valuation too and are not afraid to walk away. if the deal isn''t right for us and this untested player.

Why don''t Celtic say: ''The player is under contract and is not for sale at any price?''

[quote user="City 2nd"]I''d rather ignore you. NCFC have agreed to meet Celtic''s valuation. get over it. Down to the player and his agent now.[/quote]We''ll see if they have. If you''re putting your faith in Talksport, be prepared to be disappointed.

[quote user="RUDOLPH HUCKER"]

So, despite being a massive Club.

Despite being inevitable champions.

Despite having a couple of fixtures coming up against a side from Torino.

Despite having a mealy mouthed cock sure manager.

Despite being confident Hooper''s value will stay the same or increase by the summer.

You STILL have a valuation on a player you don''t want/need to sell?

Is it because the player WANTS to go because like most players he is just looking for #1.

If he comes to Norwich and does well, guess what?

If Spurs match our bid, guess what?

Take a reality pill and drop the bull.

I refer you to my initial post about Celtic wanting to save face, but it works both ways and we have a valuation too and are not afraid to walk away. if the deal isn''t right for us and this untested player.

Why don''t Celtic say: ''The player is under contract and is not for sale at any price?''

[/quote]Because all players are for sale if the money''s big enough. Only an idiot thinks otherwise. See Ronaldo, Man United - Real Madrid, for example.How are you so sure the player wants to go today? He hasn''t handed in a transfer request. He doesn''t want to sign a new contract but his current deal still has 18 months to run.You''ll walk away? Hah! Try it. Do you honestly think Celtic will be on the phone saying ''please give us the £5m''?As for ''take a reality pill'' - I enjoyed that, particularly after you denigrated Juventus to being some ''side from Torino''. Jesus!

First off, lets stop slagging off Celtic.

I very much doubt we could have done to Barcelona what they have done this season.

Second of all, they are a club steeped in history of success in league and cups.

Sure a large percentage of the SPL is now a lot worse and that the opposition they play may not be up to EPL or Championship standard but I hate to piss on peoples parade by suggesting that perhaps they are not far off the same sort of level as us?

They have a few players I think could come in and do a job for us, not just Hooper.

When you consider that they also work on relatively limited funds but have an immense fan base that sing and chant and get behind their team no matter what - you really do have to sit down and admire them.

They are miles away from being a Sunday team -that isn''t even funny. What would that make us?

On top of that Hooper is perhaps worth more to them than what we value him at due to him being part of that Champions league team.

Like I have said countless times on this board. Inform strikers that are in the EPL/SPL will be the most expensive to buy. No club is going to willingly loose a pivotal form player for peanuts unless they are going to the wall financially.