Sign in to follow this  
crabbycanary

Mick Dennis on SSN

Caught just 30 seconds of him this morning, and heard him say that, he fully expects us to announce 2 signings today, Becchio seems an obvious one, but no 2?

If there is a number 2, is it someone that we have been all speculating and talking about it or someone who has, as yet, not been mentioned?  Think it could be the latter. 

Only time will tell and peace will reign here again from tomorrow ;)

[quote user="Willzy65"]I think it will be Beechio and Davis. I will be disappointed if it is though :-([/quote]

Could also be the mls signing

Yes true Pete, I thought that was already announced yesterday though? I will be even more disappointed if you are right...

Telstar

(0)

2008-2011

AZ

(5)

2011-12

Campomaiorense

(12)

2012-13

Boavista

(20)

We''re debating, naturally, that the two touted to come in-and Kamara is pending a work permit whilst the Becchio deal is far from confirmed-that the former is unknown and unproven.

Fait do''s.

What about the above striker, played for middling teams in Holland and Portugal?

Fair enough over the last few years but Boavista? Big step up to the EPL...

Except these were Jimmy Floyd Hasslebaink''s stats prior to Leeds signing him-have just tweaked the seasons so they look as if they were applicable today and now.

Quality, to state the obvious, is quality. It might be in MLS, Iceland (ask Reading-Gylfi Sigurðsson) or Greece (ask Everton-Kevin Mirallas) but there are gems playing in all the leagues, not just the top ones. Yes, there are duds as well-but there are dud big money signings as well-Stuart Downing (£20 Million) amongst others-a long time ago we spent a fortune on one Drazen Muzinic from Hadjuk Split-he won four league titles, five cups and was capped by his country 36 times, representing them at the 74 World Cup and Euro 76. That and Yugoslavia Footballer of the Year in 1977.

Wow we all thought, lots of money, marquee signing, we mean business. It couldn''t not come off.

Enough said.

Marquees blown down sometimes whilst the more compact and reliable little tent stays put. No transfer is a 100% guaranteed winner of course-but neither is one a 100% flop. We might be fighting off other clubs to sign Kamara on a perm come the Spring-on the other hand, we could have pushed the boat out for Hooper only for him to score 1 in 14 and struggle. So lets judge every signing and every player on his merits.

Hugely general I know but what other way is there?

[quote user="Old Shuck"]

Telstar

(0)

2008-2011

AZ

(5)

2011-12

Campomaiorense

(12)

2012-13

Boavista

(20)

We''re debating, naturally, that the two touted to come in-and Kamara is pending a work permit whilst the Becchio deal is far from confirmed-that the former is unknown and unproven.

Fait do''s.

What about the above striker, played for middling teams in Holland and Portugal?

Fair enough over the last few years but Boavista? Big step up to the EPL...

Except these were Jimmy Floyd Hasslebaink''s stats prior to Leeds signing him-have just tweaked the seasons so they look as if they were applicable today and now.

Quality, to state the obvious, is quality. It might be in MLS, Iceland (ask Reading-Gylfi Sigurðsson) or Greece (ask Everton-Kevin Mirallas) but there are gems playing in all the leagues, not just the top ones. Yes, there are duds as well-but there are dud big money signings as well-Stuart Downing (£20 Million) amongst others-a long time ago we spent a fortune on one Drazen Muzinic from Hadjuk Split-he won four league titles, five cups and was capped by his country 36 times, representing them at the 74 World Cup and Euro 76. That and Yugoslavia Footballer of the Year in 1977.

Wow we all thought, lots of money, marquee signing, we mean business. It couldn''t not come off.

Enough said.

Marquees blown down sometimes whilst the more compact and reliable little tent stays put. No transfer is a 100% guaranteed winner of course-but neither is one a 100% flop. We might be fighting off other clubs to sign Kamara on a perm come the Spring-on the other hand, we could have pushed the boat out for Hooper only for him to score 1 in 14 and struggle. So lets judge every signing and every player on his merits.

Hugely general I know but what other way is there?

[/quote]

Love that

"Quality, to state the obvious, is quality. It might be in MLS, Iceland (ask Reading-Gylfi Sigurðsson) or Greece (ask Everton-Kevin Mirallas) but there are gems playing in all the leagues, not just the top ones."

As ever, Old Shuck, you are the voice of reason.

What about the howls of derision when we signed half of our squad of "no-hopers":

Grant Holt (Shrewsbury for god''s sake)

Bradley Johnson (ex Northampton)

Ruddy (had played most of his games for league 1 and 2 clubs, and in the dodgy Scottish league)

Russell Martin (Peterborough reserves)

Tettey (who????)

Whittaker (rubbish Scottish league)

Etc. Etc.

Hughton appears to know what he is doing in identifying players, so does McNally in terms of getting the most out of our budget.

It won''t be Curtis Davies sadly, Hughton suggested we aren''t in for him last night

[quote user="AJ"]It won''t be Curtis Davies sadly, Hughton suggested we aren''t in for him last night[/quote]The one thing, I have to say, that I really miss about Lambert is the element of surprise to our transfer dealings. I''m a big fan of CH otherwise, but I don''t understand why he''s pretty much confirmed in public all of the deals we''re trying to do - I think they should just get on and do it all behind closed doors. And on a purely personal, selfish level I''d like to be surprised by the announcement of a signing, not get my hopes up about someone previously unheard of dutchman called Dogsdick or whatever, and then be fobbed off with an MLS player and another recruit from our feeder club Leeds...But don''t get me wrong - I think Kamara looks like a brilliant character and I hope he does fantastically at the club, and I''d welcome Becchio as well.Separate question - do people think Jackson will go today, either a) if we get Becchio (whether Moro goes to Leeds or not?) or b) if we get Becchio and Hooper?

If we get the targets we are after then I could see Jackson going yes, especially if we get Hooper. Otherwise I can see him staying until the end of his contract in the summer.

[quote user="steakbearnaise"][quote user="AJ"]It won''t be Curtis Davies sadly, Hughton suggested we aren''t in for him last night[/quote]The one thing, I have to say, that I really miss about Lambert is the element of surprise to our transfer dealings. I''m a big fan of CH otherwise, but I don''t understand why he''s pretty much confirmed in public all of the deals we''re trying to do - I think they should just get on and do it all behind closed doors. And on a purely personal, selfish level I''d like to be surprised by the announcement of a signing, not get my hopes up about someone previously unheard of dutchman called Dogsdick or whatever, and then be fobbed off with an MLS player and another recruit from our feeder club Leeds...But don''t get me wrong - I think Kamara looks like a brilliant character and I hope he does fantastically at the club, and I''d welcome Becchio as well.Separate question - do people think Jackson will go today, either a) if we get Becchio (whether Moro goes to Leeds or not?) or b) if we get Becchio and Hooper?[/quote]

I think Hughton''s just trying to manage expectations. So far Kamara and Becchio aren''t overwhelming, so time will tell how well they get on.

[quote user="steakbearnaise"][quote user="AJ"]It won''t be Curtis Davies sadly, Hughton suggested we aren''t in for him last night[/quote]

The one thing, I have to say, that I really miss about Lambert is the element of surprise to our transfer dealings. I''m a big fan of CH otherwise, but I don''t understand why he''s pretty much confirmed in public all of the deals we''re trying to do - I think they should just get on and do it all behind closed doors. And on a purely personal, selfish level I''d like to be surprised by the announcement of a signing, not get my hopes up about someone previously unheard of dutchman called Dogsdick or whatever, and then be fobbed off with an MLS player and another recruit from our feeder club Leeds...

But don''t get me wrong - I think Kamara looks like a brilliant character and I hope he does fantastically at the club, and I''d welcome Becchio as well.

Separate question - do people think Jackson will go today, either a) if we get Becchio (whether Moro goes to Leeds or not?) or b) if we get Becchio and Hooper?
[/quote]

Thing is we are going for higher profile players now so it is harder to keep bids secret they are far more likely to be leaked by other parties. Quite frankly Hughton would look ridiculas if he denied going after player when it was so clearly in the public domain. Having said that he made a good job of denying we were after anyone else on five live last night after the game.