Sign in to follow this  
City 2nd

Talksport re Hooper

To confirm:

Norwich will make a fourth bid for Celtic striker Gary Hooper, talkSPORT understands.

The Canaries have seen three offers rejected for the 25-year-old, as the Bhoys have been holding out for their £8million asking price to be met.

talkSPORT revealed on Wednesday that a £6million bid had been rebuffed by the SPL side, but now it appears the former Scunthorpe man could be set to play his football at Carrow Road.

As much as I would love to see him in a city shirt, I can''t help but feel that we have been bent over and sha£$%" with the £8million price tag.

Dont get me wrong I would love it to happen, prob be half of that in the summer though if he continues to score, however we do need someone now, and I guess £8mill for a potential £60mill payback is gd business in anyones books.

[quote user="Proper Charlie"]

As much as I would love to see him in a city shirt, I can''t help but feel that we have been bent over and sha£$%" with the £8million price tag.

Dont get me wrong I would love it to happen, prob be half of that in the summer though if he continues to score, however we do need someone now, and I guess £8mill for a potential £60mill payback is gd business in anyones books.

[/quote]

You''ve said it all Charlie. Yes, it''s a lot, but actually it''s not a huge amount IF he proves a success, particularly given his age. And if it guarantees our safety and £70m, it''s a steal. So there''s an element of risk in there, but when is there not with multi million pound transfers.

[quote user="a1canary"]

Hooper, Kamara and Becchio? And Curtis Davies?

No-one could complain about that.

[/quote]

lol bet Wiz could

Talk Sport have just said...

Norwich never really intended getting Graham or Hooper, they just bid low knowing either bid would not be accepted, but it kept the City fans quiet for the month.........none of your offers have been increased

IF, and its a big if, Norwich sign anyone, they''ll be a cheap ''no mark'' player who won''t improve the side one little bit.

What I find odd about Talksports claims is that despite saying that we have made a Fourth bid which matches Celtic''s valuation this news is not on SSN who I would expect to be a little more reliable today.

Yup, my colleagues over at SSN reporting a 4th bid now in. Our evident desperation can''t do our chances of agreeing a fair fee any good can they?

Rumours abroad that we''re after Mulenga if we can''t get RvW or Hooper

Can''t say I was too impressed with Mulenga in the ACON, Mputu from Democratic Rep of Congo though did look good

I have to agree, but they bought the likes of Cabaye and Ben Arfa to Newcastle, so Ewan Chester and Hughton can certainly spot a player.

I would be disappointed if we''re a bit down our list though and he''s actually our 5 or 6th choice because we couldn''t get others!

Agree repeated bids becoming a bit of a joke - but nothing happens withouth a reason and i think it''s because he want to come. If Celtic didn''t want to sell - and they don''t - and Hooper wasn''t interested, it would be a pointless exercise. But just as with the Peterborough - CMS situation, while the selling club held all the aces, the fact the player wanted the move kept us interested right to the last minute. Hence the only possibility of the move going ahead is an offer that is too good to refuse. We weren''t prepared to break the bank for CMS. We might be for Hooper.

[quote user="AJ"]I have to agree, but they bought the likes of Cabaye and Ben Arfa to Newcastle, so Ewan Chester and Hughton can certainly spot a player. [/quote]

Not trying to be too picky, but Graham Carr is the man credited with Newcastle''s france-based rectruiment over the past few years, and Cabaye came in under Pardew.

[quote user="AJ"]I have to agree, but they bought the likes of Cabaye and Ben Arfa to Newcastle, so Ewan Chester and Hughton can certainly spot a player. I would be disappointed if we''re a bit down our list though and he''s actually our 5 or 6th choice because we couldn''t get others![/quote]

Cabaye was signed by the combination of Pardew and Graham Carr - Ewan Chester has never worked at Newcastle to my understanding.

While discussing the whole Hooper situation with a friend they did raise the possibility that this was a Billy Sharp moment again....keep bidding for the fan''s target knowing it would be rejected while getting in cheaper options (Kamara, Becchio) and at the end say they tried all they could...end result money saved and fans happy. While I did not agree as I do believe that Doncaster was a key figure in the Sharp fiasco, I do at the same time find it strange that we have been so public in these deals...

[quote user="Hog"]While discussing the whole Hooper situation with a friend they did raise the possibility that this was a Billy Sharp moment again....keep bidding for the fan''s target knowing it would be rejected while getting in cheaper options (Kamara, Becchio) and at the end say they tried all they could...end result money saved and fans happy. While I did not agree as I do believe that Doncaster was a key figure in the Sharp fiasco, I do at the same time find it strange that we have been so public in these deals...[/quote]

It is Celtic who are being very public with the Hooper deal - they are waiting and hoping another team get involved to really push the price up. If Hooper is going to leave Celtic this transfer window it would only ever be on the last day.

Is it? They seemed quite annoyed that it had breached the public domain. Maybe its just CH''s style but he has been very honest in who we have been interested in. Lambert used to say never heard of them and they would arrive the next day [;)]

The initial "leaking" of our interest came from god knows where, but since then we''ve had Hughton simply confirming interest, and Celtic repeatedly telling the press that we have made another bid. From where I''m standing it''s Celtic who seem to be trying to drum up interest.