Sign in to follow this  
A Gay Schoolboy

Curtis Davies latest

[quote]Norwich City have been frustrated in their attempts to sign Curtis

Davies from Birmingham City. Birmingham have rejected an improved £1.5m

offer plus a player, with a further £500,000 guaranteed, for the central

defender. Chris Hughton, the Norwich manager, worked with Davies at St

Andrew''s last season and is keen to be reunited with the 27-year-old,

who would relish the chance to play in the Premier League again.

Birmingham paid Aston Villa £2.4m for Davies two years ago. At this

stage it looks unlikely that Norwich will increase their bid.[/quote]From the Guardian liveblog. Wonder who the player we offered is? Leon Barnett perhaps?

Yeah I heard somewhere it was Leon, but I think that deal is dead sadly unless it was a smokescreen.....

Just to copy and paste my posts from previous years....

No club has ever, or will ever, make bids or promote potential signings as a "smokescreen". The risks are just too high.

Curtis Davies would be an excellent signing IMO - a Bassong/Davies Centre back pairing with Turner/Bennett able to step in when needed would be fantastic...fingers crossed this may happen

Like you say, if we''re in for Davies, we''re probably hedging our bets and are in for another defender too 

[quote user="writeronthestorm"]

a Bassong/Davies Centre back pairing with Turner/Bennett able to step in when needed would be fantastic...[/quote]

Would be a bit harsh on Turner who has put in some immense performances (including last night and the big wins against Man Utd and Arsenal).

The guy just doesn''t get the credit he deserves.

It also would give us another option no one else seems to be considering . . . . . .

. . . . . .Curtis could play in place of Bassong!

Bassong has played defensive midfield before - it would at least give us that option if needed. Can you imagine Bassong in the middle?

Would be delighted if we got him, whenever Bassong is absent our defenders play like kittens [:D]

I like Turner and I think most Canaries appreciate his partnership with Bass, BUT when Bass is missing then all the problems start for us and Davies is a more pacey option than Bennett to partner Turner..or partner Bennett if needed. Either way, I''d be happy with this signing. Really hope we get him and he proves himself and lives up to the reputation he had when he was at WBA

[quote user="RUDOLPH HUCKER"]

Bassong certainly did a few Yaya impersonations last night.

[/quote]

This. I think Bassong might even be a better passer than Tettey and possibly Johnson. I''m not saying this is a sure on bet but I wouldn''t mind seeing it just to see what he does to opposition midfields.

He certainly has a forward thinking head on him.

[quote user="GJP"][quote user="writeronthestorm"]

a Bassong/Davies Centre back pairing with Turner/Bennett able to step in when needed would be fantastic...[/quote]

Would be a bit harsh on Turner who has put in some immense performances (including last night and the big wins against Man Utd and Arsenal).

The guy just doesn''t get the credit he deserves.

[/quote]

Good and very valid point..I should have just said that in my opinion he''d strengthen our centre back options...of course he''d have to work hard to get in the team and stay there

Hope we get him - need cover and leadership for bassongs absence - can only feel seb will have more time off field before his injury heals.

Sky sports live text says:

"Sky Sports sources understand that Norwich City are closing on a deal for Birmingham City''s Curtis Davies." 1.19pm

I think getting Davies in for Barnett would be a fantastic piece of business. I''m terrifiied every time Barnett is on the pitch. (just look at swansea, he was on the pitch for about 10 seconds before getting done by michu for their 3rd goal!)

I think davies would really strengthen our backline.

I think signing a new centre half is important - without Bassong we look very weak at the back - having Davies here too would solve that problem

I don''t agree with those advocating demoting Turner. He has become an unsung hero in my book. The quiet man goes about his business efficiently and without fuss. No rash tackles, no red cards, no glaring mistakes.

A rock in the centre of defence already.

[quote user="BroadstairsR"]

I don''t agree with those advocating demoting Turner. He has become an unsung hero in my book. The quiet man goes about his business efficiently and without fuss. No rash tackles, no red cards, no glaring mistakes.

A rock in the centre of defence already.

[/quote]

I seem to remember this is similar to how Sunderland fans described him just before his move here.

I agree re: Turner. Despite a shaky start he''s thoroughly earned his place on the team sheet. Him and Bassong have got to be our first choice pairing regardless of signing Davies

[quote user="AJ"]I think signing a new centre half is important - without Bassong we look very weak at the back - having Davies here too would solve that problem[/quote]

This is the point. Whether or not Davies usurps Turner is not. The stats surrounding our games where Bassong has been absent are truly frightening. We can''t allow ourselves to be one player away from getting totally spanked week in week out.

It''s the NEW City formation:-

Whittaker Turner  Davies Garido

Martin Bassong Tetty Johnson

Snodgrass Becchio

THOUGH SHALT NOT PASS![:D]

[quote user="a1canary"]

[quote user="AJ"]I think signing a new centre half is important - without Bassong we look very weak at the back - having Davies here too would solve that problem[/quote]

This is the point. Whether or not Davies usurps Turner is not. The stats surrounding our games where Bassong has been absent are truly frightening. We can''t allow ourselves to be one player away from getting totally spanked week in week out.

[/quote]

Exactly !! We need a quality back up should Seb get injured. He and Turner have already proved that they are a very solid pairing. The problem arises when Seb is out and we have no quality to come in. I believe Ryan Bennett will become a very good defender in time but Leon unfortunately, has had his time.

[quote user="AJ"]I agree re: Turner. Despite a shaky start he''s thoroughly earned his place on the team sheet. Him and Bassong have got to be our first choice pairing regardless of signing Davies[/quote]
Never thought ~I''d say this but I agree. He''s earnt his spot in the starting 11. This is coming from a guy who was ready to kneecap him after the first 8games or so when he cost us a goal or two every game!!! But since then he has really come on, and looks every bit a Prem defender.