Sign in to follow this  
JakeLUFC

Becchio/Morison (Leeds fan's perspective)

Hey guys..Leeds fan in peace..Think this deal has surprised everyone..in part because swaps are so uncommon. To clear up the exact details; our official site is saying that Norwich have paid an undisclosed fee- in addition to Morison- for Becchio. This is what we pretty much expected, but just had a quick look here and some of you were expecting that we''d be paying a fee- £1m or something. Really dont think that was ever likely..Becchio, whatever i think of him, is a hot property just now and has almost two years on his contract. Morison has been struggling a bit at Carrow road, by all accounts. So whilst i dont expect you guys have paid us more than £1m or so, most people i talk to seem happy with the deal. That''s not to say we wanted rid of him..i''ll always love him and he''s something of a hero for us. But since he wanted to leave, i think we''ve gotten a good deal out of it for all parties. Thought you might care for a quick appraisal from someone that watches him every week, so here goes:His strengths: Class finisher..in the air and on the ground. Scores all types of goals, cept the outside-the-box ones.Works hard, and the fans will warm to him.Suffers few injuries.His weaknesses:Approach play. His touch isn''t all that good, and lots of times moves break down because of him.Pace. He isn''t quick.Allright, hope that''s been useful! In return if y''all could tell me about Morison that''d be good! Remember a little of him at Milwall and always looked a pretty good player, but lately haven''t seen much of him.One other thing: what''s happening with Howson? He doesn''t seem to have played much for you guys..good player though..and one we were sorry to lose. That kinda goes for all the Leeds boys you took..except Johnson, who even in L1 i wasn''t enamored with.Thanks! And so long Lucs!

And you didn''t once ask for a fight, I''m impressed! [:D]

Morison if played regularily will be a good player for you, easily worth 15/20 goals a season in the Championship. Can seem very clumsy on the ground but is very good in the air and does have the knack of finding the net with scuffed shots!

Just to pick up on one point, our CEO on twitter has just implied that no swap deal has taken place. My theory is that each club bought a player from the other, and who paid more is unknown irrelevant!

I think this is a move that really suits all involved. Becchio wanted out Morison wasn''t getting the amount of football under Hughton he did under PL so wanted out. Moro will do a good job at Leeds of that i am sure he is a very very good forward in the Champ. Just doesn''t quiet cut it in the Prem.

I think Moro will do well for you guys he can work hard when he wants to and will fit in well with the team spirit you have up there.

I think this is a good deal for both clubs and I hope he starts banging them in for you I really do, especially as a two fingered salute to all those who ever booed him or slagged him off on this messageboard.

[quote user="JakeLUFC"]In return if y''all could tell me about Morison that''d be good! [/quote]Used to be a Class finisher..in the air and on the ground. Scored all types of goals, cept the outside-the-box ones but not any more.Extremely lazy and the fans will so realise this.Injury prone - hasn''t been fully fit all seasonApproach play. His touch isn''t all that good, and lots of times moves break down because of him.Pace. He isn''t quick.

I think it''s a pretty good deal for both clubs. Morison isn''t a bad player despite what some on here will tell you but he was quite clearly finished here and needed a new start, both clubs get a player of I think quite similar abilities, Becchio gets the step up he wants and Morison gets a new start. Good deal for everyone involved.

Hi Jake, thanks for that.

This sounds like a good deal for all concerned really - Morison is a decent striker but one who has confidence issues.  He was great for us in the first half of last season but for for whatever reason fell out of favour with the fans and from that point in he entered a bit of a downward spiral form-wise.  Hopefully a fresh start will do him good and he''ll start knocking the goals in for you (though not too many - we all hate leeds, remember?:)).  Seems like a good guy in interviews etc.

strengths:

physically strong

good in the air

weaknesses:

attitude (perceived to be lazy by some - to an extent i agree but i think this has more to do with confidence than anything)

poor first touch

not great at 1-on-1s (with a few exceptions!)

I''m sure others will add to this with all kinds of bile and hatred.

As for Howson - that''s a good question!  really looked the part when he first arrived, but when he''s had the chance to play this season he''s been pretty poor... seems to me to be a player who is good at a lot of things, but not excellent at anything in particular.  Hopefully he''ll improve, but game time is limited for him at the moment.

Johnson has probably been our most improved and consistent player this year - he''s been excellent (though we''re well aware of his limitations).  Snodgrass has taken to the prem like a duck to water, and still seems to be improving.  He tore Assou-Ekkotou to shreds in the first half last night.

Hope that helps!

jb

JakeLUFC, thanks a lot for your input. Becchio strikes me as a good poacher type but with a good work rate (you may wish to contrast this with Morison).

Interested to see you give Becchio a good rating injury-wise. I seem to remember him being substituted a few times for a prolonged period at (I think) the back end of last season. I wondered whether it was a stamina issue or maybe he was recovering from injury? Or did I just imagine it ...

Out of all the Leeds players Johnson has been the most consistent - Johnson has certainly been far more effective for us than Howson!Morison isn''t a bad player, he''s lost alot of confidence though. Can''t see why he wouldn''t do well in the Championship, he hardly had any decent service in the games he played for us this season.

I don''t get to games very often, but from what I''ve seen of Morison he''s strong, not particularly slow or quick, good with his head, and cannot anticipate his team mates next pass or run.

[quote user="JakeLUFC"]Hey guys..Leeds fan in peace..Think this deal has surprised everyone..in part because swaps are so uncommon. To clear up the exact details; our official site is saying that Norwich have paid an undisclosed fee- in addition to Morison- for Becchio. This is what we pretty much expected, but just had a quick look here and some of you were expecting that we''d be paying a fee- £1m or something. Really dont think that was ever likely..Becchio, whatever i think of him, is a hot property just now and has almost two years on his contract. Morison has been struggling a bit at Carrow road, by all accounts. So whilst i dont expect you guys have paid us more than £1m or so, most people i talk to seem happy with the deal. That''s not to say we wanted rid of him..i''ll always love him and he''s something of a hero for us. But since he wanted to leave, i think we''ve gotten a good deal out of it for all parties. Thought you might care for a quick appraisal from someone that watches him every week, so here goes:His strengths: Class finisher..in the air and on the ground. Scores all types of goals, cept the outside-the-box ones.Works hard, and the fans will warm to him.Suffers few injuries.His weaknesses:Approach play. His touch isn''t all that good, and lots of times moves break down because of him.Pace. He isn''t quick.Allright, hope that''s been useful! In return if y''all could tell me about Morison that''d be good! Remember a little of him at Milwall and always looked a pretty good player, but lately haven''t seen much of him.One other thing: what''s happening with Howson? He doesn''t seem to have played much for you guys..good player though..and one we were sorry to lose. That kinda goes for all the Leeds boys you took..except Johnson, who even in L1 i wasn''t enamored with.Thanks! And so long Lucs!

[/quote]Big mistake on your part then because Johno on a free was probably the best deal we have had out of you. He is an integral part of our defensive mid-field and rarely puts in a bad game.Snoddy is the class player by a long way and will likely be our POTS. I recall lots of stuff on WACCOE about how he wouldn''t be good enough for the Prem, well seems you were very wrong there.Johnny Howson started well but has been out of sorts lately but a decent player and young enough to improve. Came on for Wes last night and played well IMO.I''m not so sure about Becchio but time will tell and a swap for Moro was probably good for both players.It''s a shame there has to be so much of a seethe on WACCOE every time we sign one of your players. Leeds were a big club once so it must be painful to see "Little Norwich" use you as a feeder club but the truth is because of the Premier money we are bigger than you  now. Our turnover next year will be £80-90 million while yours will be chicken feed and for a club with your history I can only imagine how badly that hurts.Best of luck when you play 1p5wich[;)]

Haha, cheers for that! Nah doesnt hurt me..i dont stay up nights wondering how big of a club we are right now. As for Snodgrass he was class for us, and i thought he could be a good PL player. As regards Johnson im happy to be proven wrong; was just pointing out that he never seemed that good in league 1 for us.Anyway, if you look for it on WACCOE you''ll find that sort of reaction..for myself i don''t care who we sell to..or what it implies..the fortunes of football clubs can change very quickly- no better proof of that than us!Jake.

Morison is lazy which is why alot of fans on here slate him. He doesn''t work hard for the team, he just assumes a teapot stance on the halfway line. That having been said, when he wants to, he can put the work in and do the running and when he does that he is very difficult for defenders to play against.
Strengths: Big, physical, not pacey but not slow either. Excellent in the air.
Weaknesses: Lazy, poor first touch, not clinical on the ground.

Good post jake, appreciated.

Morison suffers from one problem. One that will always mean he has his detractors. And that is that he doesn''t often LOOK like he''s trying. Personally i think this is BS but it''s the same thing that people complain about with Berbatov and Viera and Kanu. Players who just don''t look like they are trying that hard. Of course Morison can''t claim to have the natural talents of those players so that makes it harder still for him if he''s going through a barren spell.

But most of us think he will suit you and Warnock. I would say his strengths are his excellent heading ability, decent enough finishing (equalising goal v Arsenal last year a good example) and strength on the ball but i''m afraid he''s somehow not as good as holding the ball up as he should be given that strength otherwise. Holt always makes him look a poor second in that respect and knowing Warnock likes a big holding striker - he would always whine about Holt but you could tell he''d give anything to have him in his own side - so he may be disappointed in that respect with Morison.

p.s. Media sources are conflicting in terms of who paid who. I think you''re probably not far off though in that there was probably about £1m or more like £0.5m difference - 3 for Becchio 2 or 2.5 for Morison i''d guess. Becchio has the form, Morison has the EPL expereince, age the same. There won''t have been much in it.

[quote user="JakeLUFC"]Haha, cheers for that! Nah doesnt hurt me..i dont stay up nights wondering how big of a club we are right now. As for Snodgrass he was class for us, and i thought he could be a good PL player. As regards Johnson im happy to be proven wrong; was just pointing out that he never seemed that good in league 1 for us.

Anyway, if you look for it on WACCOE you''ll find that sort of reaction..for myself i don''t care who we sell to..or what it implies..the fortunes of football clubs can change very quickly- no better proof of that than us!

Jake.
[/quote]

Thank you for your input Jake and the manner in which you shared it. Try to overlook the little bit of smugness from Ricardo with the assumptions about our "fortune" next season. WE have taken 2 points out of the last 21 available and, unless we take something from the next couple of games, will be very quickly one of those in the relegation scrap. We did play well against Spurs yesterday, however, so here''s hoping.

[quote user="YankeeCanary"]

[quote user="JakeLUFC"]Haha, cheers for that! Nah doesnt hurt me..i dont stay up nights wondering how big of a club we are right now. As for Snodgrass he was class for us, and i thought he could be a good PL player. As regards Johnson im happy to be proven wrong; was just pointing out that he never seemed that good in league 1 for us.Anyway, if you look for it on WACCOE you''ll find that sort of reaction..for myself i don''t care who we sell to..or what it implies..the fortunes of football clubs can change very quickly- no better proof of that than us!Jake.[/quote]

Thank you for your input Jake and the manner in which you shared it. Try to overlook the little bit of smugness from Ricardo with the assumptions about our "fortune" next season. WE have taken 2 points out of the last 21 available and, unless we take something from the next couple of games, will be very quickly one of those in the relegation scrap. We did play well against Spurs yesterday, however, so here''s hoping.

[/quote]No danger Yankee, Snowy has already revealed that all will be o.k.[;)]

[quote user="ricardo"][quote user="YankeeCanary"]

[quote user="JakeLUFC"]Haha, cheers for that! Nah doesnt hurt me..i dont stay up nights wondering how big of a club we are right now. As for Snodgrass he was class for us, and i thought he could be a good PL player. As regards Johnson im happy to be proven wrong; was just pointing out that he never seemed that good in league 1 for us.

Anyway, if you look for it on WACCOE you''ll find that sort of reaction..for myself i don''t care who we sell to..or what it implies..the fortunes of football clubs can change very quickly- no better proof of that than us!

Jake.
[/quote]

[/quote]

No danger Yankee, Snowy has already revealed that all will be o.k.[;)]
[/quote]

Well, if Snowy can be relied on Ricardo, that will make us all very happy. I must say, however, I regard cats as being a little bit like women, the moment you give the appearance of taking them for granted they give you a jolt when you least expect it.

[quote user="YankeeCanary"][quote user="ricardo"][quote user="YankeeCanary"]

[quote user="JakeLUFC"]Haha, cheers for that! Nah doesnt hurt me..i dont stay up nights wondering how big of a club we are right now. As for Snodgrass he was class for us, and i thought he could be a good PL player. As regards Johnson im happy to be proven wrong; was just pointing out that he never seemed that good in league 1 for us.Anyway, if you look for it on WACCOE you''ll find that sort of reaction..for myself i don''t care who we sell to..or what it implies..the fortunes of football clubs can change very quickly- no better proof of that than us!Jake.[/quote]

[/quote]No danger Yankee, Snowy has already revealed that all will be o.k.[;)][/quote]

Well, if Snowy can be relied on Ricardo, that will make us all very happy. I must say, however, I regard cats as being a little bit like women, the moment you give the appearance of taking them for granted they give you a jolt when you least expect it.

[/quote]Cats are smarter than dogs.Try getting 8 cats to pull a sled through snow.

TBH I''m not quite sure what I make of this deal.1/3 of our first team will now be composed of ex-Leeds players - the very same players that achieved what exactly at Leeds? Nothing.Good luck with Morison, I suspect you''re gonna need it.Ironically Morison will probably score lots of goals, get Leeds into the playoffs and then get promoted as we get relegated (worst case scenario!).

"1/3 of our first team will now be composed of ex-Leeds players - the very same players that achieved what exactly at Leeds? Nothing."

Was that the same Leeds team that beat Man Utd and drew with Spurs and then got promoted despite having Grayson in charge and a dire defence?

Our POTS thread from the other day had Snodgrass and Johnson among the very top contenders.

This thread is almost enough to change my opinion of this forum – an exchange without the usual hostility or idiocy that accompanies external visitors.

Anyway, I couldn''t understand why there was ever talk of Leeds giving us money and Becchio for Morison so even if we have to pay £1m as part of the swap then that''s a good deal in my view.

As for Morison''s qualities or otherwise, he is a complete mixed bag. Perhaps as much as a third of what he represents as a footballer is that of a strong target man almost capable of competing in the Premier League, strong aerially, able to hold the ball up and with the occasional surprising ability to take on a man and cause defences real concerns. But then there are those two thirds of him where he amounts to little more than a journeyman striker, with a poor touch and, most alarmingly at times, an inability to decide what to do with the ball when presented with two options – it''s the sort of speed of thought that makes you realise why he was playing non league football into his 20s.

I have never concurred with this idea of him being lazy though – I just think that''s how he holds himself, a bit like Chris Waddle but without perm or even a hundredth of the dazzling flashes of brilliance!

Hope he does well though, it''s a good move for him.

Moro is supposed to be injured at the moment (cue sudden recovery).

He pines for London (perhaps he thought HS2 was up and running).

Last season he had a very good run up front on his own but despite his goals had the stat of giving the ball away more than any other EPL player - he cannot hold it up.

He loves crosses, but they''ve got to be just how he wants them otherwise he stands there and criticises his team-mates.

He appears to be prone to mood swings (good job he will have the intuitive sports psychologist Colin W@nker to support him.

When Holt fought him for the key striker role, he wilted.

He loves greyhounds, infact he loves anyone who will do the running for him.

He is very sensitive to the comments and mood of fans (good job he is going to a club where the fans are notoriously empathetic and tolerant).

But, it might work out. We only want Becchio as a box impact player off the bench.