Sign in to follow this  
Yellow Messiah

Kei Kamara Signs On Loan

[quote user="ricky knight"][quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="ricky knight"]over the moon, not.[/quote]They send us footballers, we send them wrestlers, seems fair to me. [;)][/quote]

but we send them our best wrestlers bud[/quote]Best looking ones anyway. [:D]

i have not seen the Darlington centre forward but i would lay a bet he aint good enough for the prem, i have checked his record nothing suggests he will set the prem alight.

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="ricky knight"][quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="ricky knight"]over the moon, not.[/quote]They send us footballers, we send them wrestlers, seems fair to me. [;)][/quote]

but we send them our best wrestlers bud[/quote]Best looking ones anyway. [:D][/quote]

Yea surprised i aint there on that basis.

I think it is worth pointing out that although Kamara isn''t a young player, due to the turbulent upbrining he had whilst most of the other Norwich City players were in youth academies from the age of 9/10 Kei Kamara was seeking asylum in the USA at that age.

Like many players who aren''t ''discovered'' until they are slightly older, they tend to mature later and have the better years of their career around 28/29/30. Grant Holt is a perfect example of this.

Is Kamara going to be the ''signing of the season''? Probably not, but he will offer something completely different to our current selection of players and represents a cheap and most importantly risk free option. If he doesn''t work out, back to America he goes and off the Norwich wage bill. Even if he only scores one goal, if that goal gains Norwich some points and keeps them in the League they he has been a massive success.

As ever some posters have a completely unrealistic expectation of the kinds of players we can/will be signing. I bet those are the same posters who were moaning about Tettey and Whittaker. Get over yourselfs, if you think you know more than Chris Hughton then you are wrong.

For a loan it is an ok piece of business and see how the guy gets on.

I think the unknown nature of him is the best thing and I hope he gets some involvement.

But as we look to build that squad to a level above I think it gives us time to assess him. We do need to buy players of a level above, if we stay up we will still have players here who are shaky premiership players we need strong, competitive premiership calibre players. We do not want to look like a team that has just come up when we have been up for 3 seasons.

i just read this from a kansas fan..

"Norwich fans, here''s my own personal scouting report of Kei, having watched every game he''s played for the past 3 or so years.

Kei is very athletic, with very good size, speed, and jumping ability. He''s in an excellent shape as KC is the fittest team in the league and he showed up to camp very fit. He''s an aerial threat and prefers to head the ball down when going at goal. He started out as a CF, but after coming to KC, coach Peter Vermes moved Kei to the right wing. He thrived on the wing, despite not being a true winger. A big reason being that he creates a size mismatch against your typical FB and can easily overwhelm them. Essentially, Kei is a wing menace as he''s not afraid of contact and willing to try to beat the defender and use his athleticism as an advantage. Because of his ability to run through defenders and out muscle them, he often draws in defenders creating space. He took a lot of shots this last year, but part of that is due to his ability to reach for opportunities other players cannot. His service is pretty underrated, he had 9 assists for the year in 2012, second only on the team to the league leader Graham Zusi (US Intl, trained with West Ham this offseason). He''s not the most accurate finisher, but he''s not as bad some fans might make him out to be (he''s better with his head). Kei matured a lot under Peter Vermes and became an important transition player for KC with his willingness to defend. This is pretty key as SKC presses upfield heavily, especially with overlapping FBs (so Kei''s ability to defend became important on the right wing).

How will he do for Norwich? I don''t know, it depends on how he''s utilized. If they think he''s a CF thats going to create his own chances and finish a bunch of them, they might have a problem. But if they''re willing to let him loose on the wing, he can create serious problems for the defense.

A lot of SKC fans are very sad to see him go. Kei is and has been for a long time now, a fan favorite. He''s very outspoken with the fans (he organized a snowball fight with the fans last winter on a whim) and has a very strong sense of humor (see below). He has a great personality, so the loss does hurt to some degree as he''s a really great guy.

Kei Kamara was also the Prank King at SKC (Wigan fans, Roger Espinoza shows up at 3:02): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8PRNcRPH8g[1]

EDIT: Probably one of the better highlight videos as it shows more than goals, you can just mute the music: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtInWR2vDpc "

I''ve been in touch with a couple of Kansas City fans on Twitter, here''s what they had to say:Sean Wheelock (also MLS expert on 5live''s World Football Phone-in:"Just saw this news as well. He is very consistent--solid--good positionally. 8-10 goals for full season is realistic.""Needs a partner up top for sure. Great guy off the pitch--really likeable. Will fit in very well"Tyler Calmus:"He''s a prototypical right-winger with good pace and feet, good delivery, and excellent in the air. Tends to spray shots though."With this in mind, I doubt Hughton plans to play him up front by himself, as a stand-in for Holt in our current 4-2-3-1 system. He does however give us more options, and if he chips in with 1 or 2 goals it''ll be a good signing I reckon. I can see him coming off the bench for Pilks or Wessi to give us more of an aerial presence towards the end of games if we''re behind.

Journo on Twitter reckons that Kamara would have cost $2m if we had got him permanently now. Considering how the move is apparently future-fee agreed, this could be slick business if his stock was to rise considerably in the next few months.

Dare I also hope this is yet another prospective move to ''keep the powder dry'' for someone a bit more spectacular in this window?

[quote user="Goss93"]I''ve been in touch with a couple of Kansas City fans on Twitter, here''s what they had to say:Sean Wheelock (also MLS expert on 5live''s World Football Phone-in:"Just saw this news as well. He is very consistent--solid--good positionally. 8-10 goals for full season is realistic.""Needs a partner up top for sure. Great guy off the pitch--really likeable. Will fit in very well"Tyler Calmus:"He''s a prototypical right-winger with good pace and feet, good delivery, and excellent in the air. Tends to spray shots though."With this in mind, I doubt Hughton plans to play him up front by himself, as a stand-in for Holt in our current 4-2-3-1 system. He does however give us more options, and if he chips in with 1 or 2 goals it''ll be a good signing I reckon. I can see him coming off the bench for Pilks or Wessi to give us more of an aerial presence towards the end of games if we''re behind.[/quote]Also Tyler tells me he currently plays on the right of a 4-3-3 system for SKC - this, I think, is a more likely alternative system for us to use than the outdated 4-4-2.

Seems a bit strange his loan ends before the season actually finishes?!?

IF (and for me at moment it''s a big if) he is a brilliant success in the premier league and becomes our star player BUT we still need a win in those last two games, his loss could have a big impact on the morale of the team and us supporters

Anyhow for now wish him all the best and hope he is a huge success and we cruise to premiership safety with plenty of games to spare!

I think he''ll play RW or LW and when a cross comes in he''ll actually finish it unlike what Snodgrass usually does. :D

pleased to have Kamara here, shame its not permanent but then if he keeps us up (And he will) then all the better.once he has played for us then the tin pot 3rd division MLS wont be so appealing...

He''s tall, from the videos I wouldn''t say he was great in the air. Most of the time he was getting free headers, and he won''t get those in the prem.

I''m personaly very happy it is loan deal with buy option. We get to see what we are buying before closing the deal, even thought loan+buy is always a bit more expensive at the end that straight buy option. (except in situations where club just want to get rid of a player)

Good business!

By the way have anyone counted how many spaces we have at the moment in the team? Lappin left, so there comes +1 free and Morrison going most likely, but do we have any other free spots?

[quote user="rock bus"]Seems a bit strange his loan ends before the season actually finishes?!?[/quote]MLS season starts in March.  Kamala would miss ten regular season games through May 6.I''d love to see the MLS schedule normalized with the rest of the world, what with snowbound teams in Salt Lake, Denver, Kansas City, Chicago, Toronto, Montreal, Philadelphia, New York, and Boston.  Be fun to watch.

Could just be a squad player - our bench tonight looks very uninspiring, you cannot really see anyone who can change the game for us.

You wonder how many "comings and goings" there will be tomorrow. It looks as though this deal will have not put too big a hole in our budget and neither would any Becchio deal if Moro is going the other way. You would imagine that Hughton would like to get another centre back in as we really need someone who would enable us to not totally collapse when Bassong doesn''t play - say Davies at £2M. Even then you feel there is enough money to go for one of our primary striking targets.

Anyone have any knowledge of the likelihood of his getting the necessary clearance? Sky reporting a MLS player had to go before a tribunal to get a visa. Is this going to be the same for Kei?

From what I can work out he hasn''t played the 75% of SL games in the last two years which is required. However, like the playing signing for Stoke if a good reason can be given for this lack of games then he might get the permit at tribunal.

To be honest, I''m not convinced, however you would imagine that Norwich will have taken some professional advice on this matter. Might take a while though - possibly a couple of weeks.

A thought on the rather strange fact that Kamara''s loan ends with 2 games left to go of our season... Is that not around the time Ruddy is expected to be back? Therefore it could be a very clever ploy by CH to get round the 25-man squad rule - Leave Ruddy out of the squad altogether for now as he''s not currently fit; giving us an extra space; then come the end of the season if he''s fit again, Kamara leaving would open up a slot for Ruddy to come back for the last two games - if Ruddy doesn''t look like being fit, we extend KK''s loan to cover the last 2 games...