Sign in to follow this  
Karl Pilkington

Cult Heroe's

We were finally featured in Saturdays football focus item. The 3 nominated players were Iwan, Fleck, and Gunny.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/football_focus/4226639.stm

Remember it''s nothing to do with playing ability but more the players charisma, personality, and being a fans favourite.

So...who is it to be then....I think it''s gotta be Iwan!!!!

This must be like having to choose which of your three offspring you love the most - i.e. impossible!

How can one be expected to choose Gunny over Iwan, or Iwan over Flecky or for that matter Flecky over Gunny?! Impossible I tell you!? 

For me it has to be Gunn, what he did for the club as a player was immense, the bloke is a legend. Also consider the fact he is still there working for us and everything he has done for the city in general, I urge people to vote Gunn.

I would have to agree about Gunny being the number 1. I think Flecky would of been if had had not come back though.

How about somebody like Kevin Keelan who once said he never considered playing for anybody other than Norwich.  This is a statement neither Fleck or Roberts could lay claim to.

Oh yes, Foggo and Bone

" He''s here, he''s there, we''re not allowed to swear* Ken Foggo "

Best ever promotion season ''71-72

Few pints of Brown and Mild sat on the grass bank of the back of the Barclay then all pile in for the game.

Jimmy Bone both fists clenched behind the goal screaming at the Barclay when we had a corner.

Goal goes in and absolute mayhem followed.The Barclay would as one move forward about seven or eight terraces. You''d all be in a mad heap on the floor. Then the noise. Low roof, everyone at the tops of their voices. Awesome.

" Oh, Jimmy Jimmy."  " Jimmy Jimmy Jimmy Jimmy Jimmy Bone " " Oh, Jimmy Jimmy. Jimmy.........." 

Foogo was my favourite but Bone best expressed that whole mad, mad, wonderful season.

* ''he''s every farkin where'' for the more uncouth

To me it is clearly Gunny from the three contenders - his contribution to the club that is NCFC is unparallelled, from being part of the starting 11 to off the pitch activities and simply being one of the very nicest guys around - a true legend in my eyes.  Not that it detracts from iwan or flecky, but gunny is simply in another league.

I do agree about Keelan though - his performances won us more points than I care to remember, and I only started seeing him as a wee youngster in the early 70s - truly international class player who would have played for England had he been at a manure or liverpool oh, and not behind Gordon Banks during the 60s! - far superior to Ray Clemence/Joe Corrigan though. 

OTBC

Sorry guys, but I''m opting for Fleck, our greatest goalscorer, he may have dropped to fourth behind Iwan but his goals were scored in the fizzy league against the likes of Crewe, Walsall and Ipswich (snigger).Fleck''s goals, in the main were scored in the top flight and although he cost little, like most Norwich players at that time, played neat football and with a one-on-one with the ''keeper I''d back him everytime.He''s managing in the lower leagues now, Diss I believe showing his commitment to local football....Yep, Robert Fleck, true legend!!!!!!

I''m torn between Fleck, for the reasons that aubrey has put across, and Gunn.  I have one of Gunn''s goalkepper shirts that he wore in a 1-0 victory over Liverpool signed by the whole team, so that has to be the deciding factor