Sign in to follow this  
ricardo

Ricardo's report v Spurs

I have been in a low mood since the Luton match and the lack of any inspiring transfer news has hardly helped to raise the spirits. The chat on the walk up to CR was therefore not full of cheerful optimism but after a quick round of OTBC  and the very encouraging start to the match by the boys in yellow, Ricardo''s demeanor gradually began to change.Little was seen of the Spurs attack as City dominated midfield with Johno and Tetty breaking things up well and setting Snoddy away down the right. Wes was back to his buzzing best and Holty was his usual handful, winning a series of free kicks in dangerous positions. The delivery was still a bit variable but there was no doubt that most of the pressure was taking place at the right end of the field from the City point of view. A couple of corners came in that were cleared with difficulty and then Snoddy got Holty in the clear only for the big man to pull the trigger too quickly and balloon it over the bar when he might have made a few more strides towards goal. On 20 minutes he was first to a high loose ball and the keeper did well to scramble his header round the post.Snoddy had the beating of Ekotto and just after the half hour his swirling centre was nodded down by Holty for Pilks to lay it on a plate for the incoming Wes to steer home and give City the lead. With the crowd in full voice City came forward again with a great run from Bassong and if the City stopper had gotten on the end of a return pass it would surely have been 2-0. Unfortunately City could not turn several close shaves into that second goal and as if to emphasise the fragility of their lead Defoe almost came up with an unlikely equaliser. With just Bunn to beat from twelve yards it looked odds on a goal but it was superb stuff from the City keeper who beat the shot away and clear of two in-rushing Spurs players. City deserved their applause at the half but although they had played well you got the feeling that Spurs must surely improve in the second half.City started off the second period still on top and pushed Spurs back again. Russell Martins cross was just too strong for Wes but it was good to see the attacking intent was still there. Spurs however eventually got into a higher gear and Both Bale and Defoe had efforts off target. City were gradually being forced further back however and with a quarter of the match left it was starting to look like all hands to the pump.You could feel a goal coming and when it did was a real stunner. With ten minutes left, Bale picked the ball up centre-field, danced past Tetty''s desperate lunge and made ground into the City area before unleashing an unstoppable shot into the corner of the City net. It was a sickener when City had held out for so long but there was no doubting the quality of that strike.Howson came on for Wes as City clung to their point like a drowning man to a twig. With time running out a Spurs shot from the edge of the box had goal written all over it until Bunn appeared from nowhere to tip it round the post. It was certainly a point saving effort and will go a long way to silence those who have criticised the City reserve keeper. With the three minutes added ticking down Holty eased the pressure by holding the play down at the far corner and the final whistle was greeted with appreciative cheers. In Ricardo''s opinion it is a good point gained. I was expecting nothing tonight and would certainly have settled for a draw at kick off.Difficult to name a MOM because it was a terrific team performance and one that should go a long way to raise the spirits after such a barren run.

Thanks as always Ricardo.

Yes it was an apprehensive walk to CR tonight, but one rewarded with an uplifting performance.

Would have taken a point before the game and a draw was probably a fair result. From players tweets they seem pleased with the result and more particularly the performance.

I wasn''t disappointed with the draw tonight. We got sucked in for the Spurs goal but it was a top quality goal all said and done.

If I had to be critical this was two sides both lacking attacking quality.

But being positive, we held our own against top quality midfielders, Parker was outstanding for them, he never gave the ball away.

A final thought: this game showed how hard our players have to work to get any joy. If we had the right kind of quality forward we would have broken and scored again, thus taking pressure off. We played this way until December then burnt out. The players have had a rest but we need more quality on the bench to avoid another burn out.

[quote user="RUDOLPH HUCKER"]I wasn''t disappointed with the draw tonight. We got sucked in for the Spurs goal but it was a top quality goal all said and done.

If I had to be critical this was two sides both lacking attacking quality.

But being positive, we held our own against top quality midfielders, Parker was outstanding for them, he never gave the ball away.

A final thought: this game showed how hard our players have to work to get any joy. If we had the right kind of quality forward we would have broken and scored again, thus taking pressure off. We played this way until December then burnt out. The players have had a rest but we need more quality on the bench to avoid another burn out.[/quote]I was dissapointed with the goal, firstly Tettey should have brought him down and taken one for the team,Secondly, Why the hell did Garrido show him inside and onto his left foot?Had he have shown him wide, he would still have gone past him but the angle would have been much tighter and he would have been on his weaker right foot.

A fine report as usual.

Am I the only one who thought that there was an element of good fortune about Bale''s goal? Fantastic run admittedly but I think he slightly mis-hit the shot as was indicated by the swerve. It was not totally intentional. That shot was not placed. If he had been a yard further out it would surely have swerved past Bunn''s right hand post.

No point to make. Just saying. It happens.