Sign in to follow this  
Saint Canary

Congratulations!

I think with the Green and Ashton topics we have now managed to criticise every player in the squad.  Some players before they even pulled on a shirt!  I feel proud to be a City fan today!

How fickle are we?  Last week posters refused to acknowledge a bad performance against WBA because we had won, all was well in the world.  One week, just one week later everyone is in the firing line and the witch-hunt is on.  The fickle-fanometer is swinging!

We should have sold Greeno because his value is now dropping.  Could the money spent on Ashton have been used better elsewhere?  We need to get replace half our squad.

There just seem to be a lot of angry posts, which in my opinion come from unrealistic expectations of the team, players and management.  We are a club with a squad made up of mostly 1st division players playing in the Premier League.  Some people who predicted a mid-table finish were always going to be disappointed.

Well said Saint, I typed up a similar long post last night and it never made it on here!

You forgot the whole, get rid of worthy and his team threads too!

I for one never thought this would be easy, and the only way we were ever going to stay up was with luck, it just hasn''t gone our way, so another season of building is in order I think, and so does Worthy and hopefully the board.

As long as our (thus-far) very sensible board and management team don''t listen to some of the morons that have had their 5 cents on the board I think all will be well next season and we''ll back in the premiership before long!

OTBC!

Chunky

everything that you say is very true, how many of our championship winning team would you class as being premiership quality? hukerby, svennson, already had experience while we all know that green has that quality about him. the rest were unproven & untried. the new signings such as bentley, helveg, jonson,doherty,charlton & safri have a fair bit of premiership  quality but it takes time to settle and we got unlucky with injuries to most of them.

no one can blame the manager or the board for the signings we made, most of them were on a tight budget and its the old saying that you cannot make a silk purse out of a sows ear. if worthy had a fully fit team to choose from i''m sure survival would be a formality. it isn''t the case and what he has got to choose from to make up the defence and midfield is lacking in quality.

Absolutely spot on Saint.

I''ve stayed off the posting until today (as I generally try to do after a disappointing performance on a Saturday) as I find that the emotional down of defeat just ends up clouding the judgement.

Our performance on Saturday was a cameo of our season as a whole - poor finishing when we had a bright spell, poor defending to end said bright spell, and long spells where we looked ineffective at best.

Yes it''s disappointing, but after a diet of success (some might call it a feast rather than a diet)for the the preceding 6 -7 months the fact that it''s such a contrast makes it feel even more so.

We have a team of good First Division (or whatever it is now) players who at times can match it with some sides in the Premiership, but on the majority of occasions simply can''t. This is a game for the long term though, and I honestly believe that the signing of Ashton is a perfect example of the clubs thinking this way too - what a strike force he, Hucks and Svensson/Mackenzie will make in that league if we do go down. Remember how long it took Charlton to get settled where they are now. Patience is a virtue and a learning curve too.

And at the end of the season we still might stay up anyway - I for one will continue to be trekking across country until the end, and have the next batch of away tickets on order too.

It''s hard but that''s life as a City fan - if people want to be guaranteed success because that''s the only reason they follow a football club then join the Man U supporters club in Yarmouth!

Absolutely spot on.

Personally, I feel a lot of the "eight gamers" who renewed at the start of the season are amongst the most fickle, and seemingly unable to remember the dark dark days of Hamilton era.

The "Premier League" fans probably wont be around next year anyway. As much as it pains me to say it, they will probably try and get a ticket "down the road" to satisfy their murdoch inspired cravings for premiership football.

[quote]I think with the Green and Ashton topics we have now managed to criticise every player in the squad. Some players before they even pulled on a shirt! I feel proud to be a City fan today! How fickle...[/quote]

So what''s the point of having a discussion board at all if everyone is required to have the same view and only see things through rose tinted spectacles ?

If somebody has a bad game we must surely be allowed to acknowledge that?  My goodness even Norwich "gods" like Keelan, Deehan, Fleck, Gunn, Roberts had bad games. I often remember thinking that Flecky couldn''t hit a barn door at times and then he''d stick in a  20 yard curler.

The problem is that too many have too frequent off days at the moment, and we can''t play in the Premiership with just a few actually performing at any one time.

i don''t think norwich fans are any more fickle than supporters at other clubs. try listening to the phone-ins on talksport/radio 5!!

having waited so long to get to the premiership it is understandable that some are disappointed that we now appear to have only a slim chance of surviving one season.

some are more critical than others and some seem to have almost turned into vendettas but its is undeniable that some individual and team performances have been truly disappointing and those who have paid considerable sums for match tickets/travel etc are not unreasonably voicing their opinions.

for example i did not agree at all with the criticism of Green and I happen to think edworthy is at times unfairly maligned but on the other hand I haven''t joined the Barclay Jonson & Helveg fan club either.

Different strokes for different folks !!

Isn''t it a tad hypocritical to have a go at posters for postings that have a go at players? Just an observation...

I for one am not trying to say that Norwich aren''t making mistakes, but what I''m saying is, people are expecting far too much. We should have got something from the game on Saturday, but its not constructive.

Saying a player could have done better isn''t a crime, saying a player doesn''t always give 100% is ok, but what I have a problem with is the very nasty and targeted critism of certain players and staff where it isn''t needed.

It seems some people in the Norwich support on Saturday were in the same group of fans as certain people on this board.

Lets all get behind the boys, and hope we can do it yet! Otherwise we need to understand ripping the team to bits at the end of the season isn''t the best plan!

OTBC!

Chunky

[quote]Well said Saint, I typed up a similar long post last night and it never made it on here! You forgot the whole, get rid of worthy and his team threads too! I for one never thought this would be eas...[/quote]

Funny, my definition of a moron is someone who isn''t intelligent. Seeking to have a discussion about something, analysing information, not just blindly stating your loyalty, that seems like intelligent behaviour to me. Blindly getting behind the team, no matter how undeservedly, and advocating the view that everyone else should feel exactly the same seems rather... how shall I put it... moronic.

If you can''t stand a world in which people hold different opinions, I suggest you move somewhere where free speech is less highly regarded. I hear China is nice.

It''s funny how those saying we should never critisise the the team never actually say very much. Their only contribution is to whinge about how people are critisising the team, with the same repeated arguments ("we always knew it would be tough in this league, blah blah blah"...). I can see why though. If they don''t want to critisise the team, they don''t have much else to talk about, do they?

So while the critics complain about the team, and the blindly positive brigade complain about the critics, at least the critics are talking about football.

I have no objection to criticising the team.  What I do have objection to is unfair and harsh criticism of our players, manager etc.  Players are having bad games far too often at the moment, Ashton has played 5 games for us, yet people are already questioning his signing. 

I am not a blind optimist and I have never said that I don''t think players etc should not be criticised on this forum.  All I am saying is that some posters are far too venonmous towards our own players and it goes well past just being  critical.