Sign in to follow this  
Worsencroft

Honest Question...

So its turns out we didn''t pay over the odds for a striker that excels in the sunday league (SPL) and RvW who was nothing more than a pipe dream.

That said, how do you honestly feel? Would £8+m on Hooper been a wise move?

Personally I believe we will fight our way to survival - just - but then have a summer warchest to help ourselves to mid-table mediocracy. It wouldn''t be Norwich if we weren''t biting our nails up until May. OTBC

Honestly... whatever Celtic wanted was too much. I''d have paid £3-4mil tops for him. As it is, we''ve basically paid £200k for someone that has scored the same amount of goals as him in the championship. Had we have paid over the odds for Hooper it would have shown intent, but not much more than that. It''s not Hooper I wanted in the end, it was for Norwich to show they meant business.

I personally rate Hooper highly.

I also think CH has been very successful in transfer market on a whole both at Norwich and Newcastle, so I would be very happy if he thought 8m was worth it.

[quote user="Stig"] it was for Norwich to show they meant business.[/quote]

Interesting statement Sitg. Not sure I agree or disagree with you. However did QPR show they meant business with Samba or sheer stupidity?!

Personally, I''m glad we didn''t spend the money for monies sake. However I believe we showed our hand too early pricing ourselves out of other bids.

That''s the point. Norwich didnt think hooper was worth that sort of money

We''ve got a good deal to be honest, had becchio been playing in Celtic then we would''ve been buzzing about him, he''s as good as hooper if not better

[quote user="Stig"]Honestly... whatever Celtic wanted was too much. I''d have paid £3-4mil tops for him. As it is, we''ve basically paid £200k for someone that has scored the same amount of goals as him in the championship. Had we have paid over the odds for Hooper it would have shown intent, but not much more than that. It''s not Hooper I wanted in the end, it was for Norwich to show they meant business.[/quote]

We also gave them Morison Stig. He cost as about 3 mill last season

Ii also think that in the end we cam very close.

Honestly I think Celtic messed us around.

There is no way on earth we would return with upped offers if they were not encouraging it.

Then at 22:00 yesterday we get the whole "Hooper is not for sale" routine. Simply they were saving face, they did not want there fans to think that they were actually close to making a deal.

Overpriced because of timing... I would have thought 6million tops. Celtic may have been waiting on a new player and didn''t get him.Felt a tad embarrassing in the end like asking a girl out on date over and over and keep getting told she is busy.

The cost of a player is the price they command in the market place. Arguably, as more TV money flows into the PL, salaries and player valuations will continue to increase. The fact that no one would pay 10m implies he was over-valued by the selling club at that price.

I am dissapointed we didn''t have a plan B, as we obviously didn''t. Why pay over the odds for Hooper in case you''ve got another option? We heard the name of RvW, I really hope we go for him in the summer, if we stay up....

[quote user="Ozbarclay"]Overpriced because of timing... I would have thought 6million tops. Celtic may have been waiting on a new player and didn''t get him.Felt a tad embarrassing in the end like asking a girl out on date over and over and keep getting told she is busy.[/quote]I agree. And they were desperately trying to get Kevin Doyle in on loan for some reason....After signing Becchio to score 5 or 6 goals (maybe all we need individually from him) and Kamara to come off the bench occasionally, I was more concerned we didn''t get CB cover simply because when Bassong is out we look a shambles. With regard to Hooper, if we stay up this year the ball is firmly in our court. We''ll have a lot more TV money, he''ll have won his medal or two and played in those games against Juve. Just get him then

Huckerby tweeted something along the lines of the top scorer in the Spl not being able to get a regular game at Northampton when he was there, and putting perspective on the whole thing, he clearly doesn''t think that the standard in th SPL is that gd, so I suppose the asking price (reportedly 10mill) was well over the top like others have said because of the timing etc.

At this point in time he is worth more than he will be in the summer as there will be less time left on his contract. Ballsy move on Celtics part, because if he doesn''t sign a new contract then they will get less for him (in theory).