Sign in to follow this  
flecky76

Missed chance re. Hooper?

I fear that come the summer, bigger clubs will come in for Hooper and we will miss out on him. Ifs and buts, though if he is a major success in the PL next season, we will all realise what a talent he is and will be kicking ourselves.

Chance missed I think, which will eventually prove annoying I fear.

There is no way Hooper is worth £9M PLUS add-ons etc.

Absolutely no way.

Everton signed Jelavic for 5 million last Jan, and he had scored 30 in 45 games for Rangers. The most I''d want to bid for hooper would be around 5-6M and that''s at a push.

We could easily get better elsewhere. He''s not the best striker in the world like some of you seem to think.

Just sat back and looked at the SPL stats. Its the number of goals conceded that have Celtic so far ahead.

Celtic are 15 points clear at the top so wouldn''t you think with all the hype about how good Hooper is that he would be top goalscorer in the SPL? No he''s 5th with 13 goals. If he is valued at £10m how much would Leigh Griffiths(15), Billy McKay(17), Micheal Higdon(15) or Niall McGinn(15) be valued. Would these other strikers have scored more goals in such a dominant Celtic team, probably. Would any of these players have scored this many goals in the English Championship, probably not. With 15 goals in the Championship playing for a mid table team, I think we should give Becchio a chance.

It might not be such a loss, not getting Hooper!!

[quote user="AJ"]There is no way Hooper is worth £9M PLUS add-ons etc.

Absolutely no way.

Everton signed Jelavic for 5 million last Jan, and he had scored 30 in 45 games for Rangers. The most I''d want to bid for hooper would be around 5-6M and that''s at a push.

We could easily get better elsewhere. He''s not the best striker in the world like some of you seem to think.[/quote]

THIS^^^^^

Would of liked to see Hooper in a Norwich shirt but no ways at £9 million, That''s just a Ridiculous price.

I can see us going for him again in the summer when he has 12 months to runs and the price should be around £5/£6 mill mark.

[quote user="AJ"]There is no way Hooper is worth £9M PLUS add-ons etc.

Absolutely no way.

We could easily get better elsewhere. He''s not the best striker in the world like some of you seem to think.[/quote]AJ the £9m bid was a hoax, we have no idea how much we bid or what Celtic wanted. I wish people would stop saying he''s not worth it.Getting him would be worth £60m plus. We lack a goalscorer and any creativity. We have brought in people to improve the squad and not the starting 11.Gary Hooper will return to haunt us.

[quote user="can u sit down please"][quote user="AJ"]There is no way Hooper is worth £9M PLUS add-ons etc.

Absolutely no way.

We could easily get better elsewhere. He''s not the best striker in the world like some of you seem to think.[/quote]AJ the £9m bid was a hoax, we have no idea how much we bid or what Celtic wanted. I wish people would stop saying he''s not worth it.Getting him would be worth £60m plus. We lack a goalscorer and any creativity. We have brought in people to improve the squad and not the starting 11.Gary Hooper will return to haunt us.[/quote]

So the £9m bid was a hoax but no one knows how much we bid. Spot the flaw in your logic there?

As to your claim that getting him would be worth £60m plus well that is based on the fact that he would be a success which there is no telling about.

Let it go.

RP

[quote user="TheRock"]Totally agreed. Zero chance of getting him in the summer now IMO
[/quote]

Probably because by the summer there will be far more "quality" players with a "proven" track record playing in a "proper" league with "proper" opposition!

I would hardly say that we are being an ambitious club, if we are aiming for the "dizzy heights" of an SPL striker to be our main target! Some people are bewailing the fact that we didn''t "push the boat out" for a player who has not had the opportunity to regularly compete against top class opposition!

What I can say is, thank goodness we now have a professional board and management team at the helm - not prepared to be pressurised, nor bullied and to have the confidence to keep their own counsel and not reveal any dealings until completed. I like our current set up, I have confidence in our current set up, and I believe we will have many happy and successful years with our current set up.

Hooper was not the only striker - and the all eggs in 1 basket approach may be the error here.

Come the season end and if things take a turn for the worse I suspect not signing defensive cover may prove more costly than not signing a striker - only time will tell

My honest opinion is that yes, this was a huge missed opportunity.I''ve seen Hooper play several times as my Dad is a Celtic fan and when we can, we go to watch them. He will one day be a EPL striker scoring 15+ goals a season and I can just see him signing for someone like Spurs in the summer.As has been mentioned, £9m expenditure is a lot yes, but compared to a potential £60m if we survive, it is a pocket change.I think we will survive, but I just feel a little less positive without the extra fire power.

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

Hooper was not the only striker - and the all eggs in 1 basket approach may be the error here.

Come the season end and if things take a turn for the worse I suspect not signing defensive cover may prove more costly than not signing a striker - only time will tell

[/quote]Agree Zipper. Also a creativite midfielder. Its all well getting a fwd in but if you dont create for them, nothing is going to change.As to the £60m comment earlier, im worried about not receiving it next season.....

[quote user="can u sit down please"][quote user="AJ"]There is no way Hooper is worth £9M PLUS add-ons etc.

Absolutely no way.

We could easily get better elsewhere. He''s not the best striker in the world like some of you seem to think.[/quote]AJ the £9m bid was a hoax, we have no idea how much we bid or what Celtic wanted. I wish people would stop saying he''s not worth it.Getting him would be worth £60m plus. We lack a goalscorer and any creativity. We have brought in people to improve the squad and not the starting 11.Gary Hooper will return to haunt us.[/quote] CUSDP nice to see you back.

We made a good bid to buy Hooper (we r lead to Beleive)

Simply Celtic did not want to sell him in this window.

Only thing that would of changed that if we had bid WELL over the top which IMHO isn''t getting value for money.

If he had been a flop all hell would of broke loose.

In the flip side if he had been a hit, that writes itself.

I''m sure we will be back for him in the summer at a not so inflated price. OTBC

Missed chance ??! More like dodged bullet. I said a few weeks ago that I would rather we went for Becchio and I''m very pleased that we have.

This coming summer will be a repeat of last summer.

We will still be a Premier League club (not least with Russ/Whittaker as good backup CBs) and be able to go about our business quietly and efficiently in an uninflated market.

The difference this time will be that we will have no debt, oodles to spend, and bring in a "star" striker (not necessarily Hooper) together with players in other positions who will represent huge upgrades on some of the current squad fillers.

Hooper is playing in the same level of football like he was playing at Scunthorpe, not worth more than £2.MIL, we have got the better deals in Becchio and Kamara,

Not worth £2m? Are you kidding? He is a natural finisher and scores goals wherever he is.I''m glad we didn''t spend £9m on him (if that is what they wanted, we''ll never know I suppose) but £7m would have been a good move. He could double that value with a good season in the Prem.Honestly, Hooper is a goalscorer and while I think we will no doubt bring in some quality in the summer if we survive, if we don''t get him, he will bang goals in somewhere else and do it well.

Where our club is, 9M should bring in at least two players - we can''t afford to splash out cash like that.

We TRIED, quite clearly, but nothing doing.

I''d rather we wait til summer, fight out a decent mid-table finish with the resources we have, and bargain hunt for some Tettey and Michu like deals

[quote user="Chip20"]If he''s such a great prospect, why didn''t another EPL team buy him this window?[/quote]

Other clubs probably got wind of our bids, saw Celtics stance on the issue, weren''t needing a striker as much as us and probably thought ''Celtic won''t sell, we will get him cheaper in the summer''.

Interesting SL wanted 20m euro for van Wolfswinkel - they wont get that for him anywhere and will go for much less come the summer.

We can buy better value in the summer - just need to make it there...

A missed chance means we had the opporuntity to get him but didn''t take it.

The ONLY opportunity we did have of getting him was by busting the bank and shelling out £10m. If anyone thinks that''s a wise allocation of our prescious transfer resources then they need their heads read.